reclaim old ppi

Need some help with an old mortgage ppi claim.
I have contacted Santander over a mortgage I had with Abby National in the mid 90s.
They are saying that because the account has been closed for more than 6yrs they don't keep any details, and as we changed mortgage lender and divorced since then as well as countless moves nither me or my ex wife have any paper work or account details to give Santander to check our claim..
Any ideas guys as to what we can do next?????

TIA

Neil

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Give up.

If neither party has details, then there are no details.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

If the seller no longer holds any details then they are required to use any details you can supply them. Such as a copy of your policy document and bank statements showing payment.

If neither sides have anything, then its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    squidpants wrote: »
    Need some help with an old mortgage ppi claim.
    I have contacted Santander over a mortgage I had with Abby National in the mid 90s.
    They are saying that because the account has been closed for more than 6yrs they don't keep any details, and as we changed mortgage lender and divorced since then as well as countless moves nither me or my ex wife have any paper work or account details to give Santander to check our claim..

TIA

Neil

As others have said you need evidence that a mortgage existed with ppi and proof of payment. Did you send a DSAR to Santander?

There's a slim chance of finding the mortgage details from Land Registry. Firstly you go online and pay £3 to obtain the property number. Then you fill in form OC2 and request the mortgage charge details. This costs £7. You need to quote the approx month, year and lender you took out the mortgage with to narrow the search.

It takes about one week by post and you might get the mortgage account number on the charge document but it won't say if PPI was included

If you get the mortgage roll number that could help Santander locate the records in their archives.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,625
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sun73 wrote: »
    As others have said you need evidence that a mortgage existed with ppi and proof of payment. Did you send a DSAR to Santander?

There's a slim chance of finding the mortgage details from Land Registry. Firstly you go online and pay £3 to obtain the property number. Then you fill in form OC2 and request the mortgage charge details. This costs £7. You need to quote the approx month, year and lender you took out the mortgage with to narrow the search.

It takes about one week by post and you might get the mortgage account number on the charge document but it won't say if PPI was included

If you get the mortgage roll number that could help Santander locate the records in their archives.

Santander are saying they don't have the records as the account is so old they'll most likely have been deleted in line with the legal requirements of the data protection act, not that they can't find them. Santander bought Abbey in April 2004, if the mortgage was started in the 90s and still running at the time of the takeover the records might be knocking around in a distant archive but if the account was closed before the takeover it's more than possible the records are long gone. Realistically once you're over 6 years from account closure then the chances of records disappearing are increasingly high.

Moreover, OP doesn't know they even had PPI, who the PPI was with if they had it and may not even be in the right place e.g. if sold by a broker then Santander have no liability. Not sure how OP would prove a miss-selling case either so many years later. If they were unhappy with the product why not complain immediately not 20 years later?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure