Tax rebate after taking pension lump sum..

Hi all,

I am having an issue getting a tax rebate back from my father’s ex-employer.

In February my father retired and took his pension pot as a lump sum and submitted documents for a tax rebate from this.

The following month he was informed he would be getting a tax rebate of over £7000 from his ex-employer but after a week or so he received no tax rebate.

On April 23rd my father received a letter from HMRC saying the ex-employer gave him a tax rebate of over £7000 through payroll in March, but he has not received this.

I have contacted the employer in April after receiving this letter to ask where this rebate was only to be informed that they have returned it to HMRC.

On June 2nd I contacted HRMC who claimed that the company never returned the rebate to them.

I was informed to contact the employer to check if they have returned it, but as I said, they have already claimed they returned this when I called them in May.

To make matters worse, I contacted the ex employer on the 11th of June and they said they sent it back and when I checked with HMRC they claim they still haven't received it.

What can I do about this? I have considered going to citizen’s advice or getting a lawyer to chase this.

My father is elderly and hard of hearing so this is a very stressful situation for both him and I.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport