Pension death grant and debts

Hi there,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area. Wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

My mum passed away in January this year. She was only 60 and had only received 4 years' worth of pension payments (she was a social worker with a council) apparently she was entitled to 10 years' worth of payments. She lived in England whilst my sister and myself live in Scotland. Her employer (a county council) specified that we obtain probate to be able to receive the remainder of her entitled pension pot (in the form of a death grant awarded to us) we applied for this at Newcastle Court (as this was the nearest English court to us; since she lived and worked in England, this had to be done in England)

My mother had £21,000 of debts before she died. These were between various creditors; TSB, vanquis, argos etc. On the probate forms, we had to fill out the amount of cash, assets, property in her estate. As there was no estate to speak of, we entered a minus balance of £21,000 (as this was her amount of debt) her employer told me that the reason they wanted us to have probate was really to keep themselves right, and that we are who we say we are and that there were no other children involved and that we are entitled to her death grant.

We were awarded the death grant a few weeks ago.

My step father also passed away in November last year (10 weeks before my mother) his employer hadn't finalised his death in service for my mother before she passed away and after she died, we filled out the necessary paperwork for this. They also awarded myself and my sister his death in service benefit (using the intestate law?) On our confirmation letter, they actually stated "please note; this payment does not form any part of Mr *******'s Estate" As debts are only payable from the estate left by a person, this meant that had he any debts; then legally, they would not have to be paid from these monies. We were hoping our confirmation letter from my mother's employer would have the same wording, however it did not. I asked if they could possibly issue us a letter stating the death grant we were awarded does not form part of the estate, however they say it is a very grey area and are not sure of the legalities so cannot give us an answer. They advised me to seek legal advice.

I contacted a local solicitor who has told me that she can provide me with a letter stating that generally death grants do not form part of a person's estate, according to Scots law. However, although she assumes that English law will be the same, she cannot comment on that.

Sorry for the extremely long post, however if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this, then it would be really helpful.

Without sounding too crude, obviously we would like to avoid paying these debts back if, legally we do not have to. This money has came to us at the end of a terrible few months and could really help both of us out regards our own mortgages and debts etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Olivia
"never look down on anyone.....unless you're helping them up"

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.lgpsmember.org/arl/already-left-prot.php

A lump sum death grant will be paid if you die and less than 10 years pension has been paid and you are under age 75 at the date of death.

Your pension fund has absolute discretion over who receives any lump sum death grant. This means it can be paid to the person(s) you have nominated on your expression of wish form, to your personal representatives or to any person who appears, at any time, to have been your relative or dependant. You should complete an expression of wish form so that your wishes as to who you would like to receive any death grant can be taken into account. This form can be obtained from your pension fund; you can complete this form, or make a new one, at anytime.

If any part of the death grant has not been paid within two years, it must be paid to your personal representatives, i.e. to your estate.

Looking at the above, the "grey area" arises because more than two years had passed?

That said, is there not a moral obligation to repay your mother's debts?
  • olivia84
    olivia84 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for your reply.

No, 2 years haven't passed. She passed away in January this year. She did not have a nominated person with her employer as to who should receive any death grant so I'm guessing this is why her employer wanted us to obtain probate.

And yes, you are correct in that there is a moral obligation to repay these debts.

I could be wrong but I would assume that the creditors will be insured against debtors passing away?

Many thanks
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Your step fathers death benefit almost certainly forms part of your mothers estate. The fact that they say that it has been paid to you under the laws of intestacy would seem to confirm this, so her creditors have second call on this after funeral costs.
  • olivia84
    Thanks keep peddling.

Even though this was paid out after she died? And to us, not her? They didn't actually tell me they had used this law, I just assumed they had used this law after googling around and assumed this is how they were able to pay us his death in service.

Thanks again.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    olivia84 wrote: »
    Thanks keep peddling.

Even though this was paid out after she died? And to us, not her? They didn't actually tell me they had used this law, I just assumed they had used this law after googling around and assumed this is how they were able to pay us his death in service.

Thanks again.

They would expect them pay you as the administrators of her estate, but if in doubt ask them. When a beneficiary dies soon after the testator dies it is often the case that legacies have not been received, but the legacy will still form part of their estate.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    olivia84 wrote: »

And yes, you are correct in that there is a moral obligation to repay these debts.

Who are the appointed executors of the estate? They have legal duties to perform. Failure to do so bears personal responsibility.
  • olivia84
    Thanks again for the replys.

When I spoke to the man at the collection company, I told him that we were applying for probate and what he told me was that there must be something in my mum's estate if her employer was insisting we obtain probate; there wasn't anything when she died and on the probate forms we had to put in the value of estate part a minus balance. I explained to the man that (no offence) we were hoping that the confirmation letter we received from her employer used the specific wording that these monies "do not form part of the estate"

He actually seemed fine about it and said if we got a letter stating that then just to send him a copy and that would be confirmation for them that there was no money in her actual estate and they could close the accounts down.

I'm guessing it's myself who is the executor of her 'estate' being the eldest child and it's myself who has contacted them all and it's my details they have.

She didn't have a will.

Thanks again everyone.
  • This might be better posted on the death, funerals and probate forum.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217.
  • olivia84
    Thanks sleepless saver. Maybe I can move it over?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport