Smart Meter Roll out Costs have increased by £350,000

Whatever spin Ofgem might like to put on this 'fine', the cost of the smart meter roll out plan has just increased by £350,000.

Quote: EDF Energy is to pay out £350,000 after missing its target to install smart meters for customers last year, Ofgem has announced.

The regulator found that EDF failed to meet its annual installations target for 2017.

It met its target for last year in January this year, less than one month after the deadline.

Ofgem is closely monitoring suppliers’ approach to the rollout of smart meters and will hold suppliers to account if they do not meet their obligations Unquote

The current policy where Ofgem places obligations on the suppliers to fit a certain number of smart meters does not sit well with the other policy that consumers have a right to say 'no'.

The people who will pay this 'fine' will be EDF's customers.

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    The current policy where Ofgem places obligations on the suppliers to fit a certain number of smart meters does not sit well with the other policy that consumers have a right to say 'no'.

The people who will pay this 'fine' will be EDF's customers.

It is nothing short of a scandal. The state and regulator are giving tacit consent for businesses to lie to their customers in order to implement a policy of dubious value.

These are the latest porkies from a company working on behalf of my supplier:-
    No more visits for meter readings: Your reads will be reported automatically via a secure wireless network connected to ********.

Free In Home Display: You’ll be able to keep an eye on your household energy use and get control of those energy guzzling areas and appliances.

So that's "no more visits for meter readings" ....apart from the visits to check the meter readings and to inspect the meter.

...and an IHD which has zero capability to even monitor the consumption of "energy guzzling" "areas" and "appliances", let alone control them. On the basis of that claim I'd be expecting my IHD to tell me what each appliance is using at the very least.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is an exert from Solarplicitys smart meter blurb sent to me

"After the appointment:
    After this !!!8211; no more need for you to do anything, as we will be able to read the meter remotely and send someone to read it personally every 6 months."
    Read a smart meter personally every 6 months what !!!!
    P.S.
    By the way they never turned up to fit it..........
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Who gets the £350k ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have e-mailed the NAO and suggested that the team that is presently reviewing the cost of the smart meter programme needs to add £350K to the bill on the basis that if there was not a smart meter rollout programme then EDF would not be in breach, and they would not have been fined. I got a very nice (and quick) reply thanking me for my input which had been passed on to the relevant team.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Who gets the £350k ?

Ofgem has appointed the Energy Saving Trust to distribute payments to charities from energy companies who have breached rules.

Under Ofgem’s redress process, energy companies who break the rules can agree to make voluntary payments to help energy consumers through charities, trusts and third party organisations. These payments are made in addition to direct compensation to affected customers, and are, in lieu of, or in addition, to a financial penalty. Energy companies may also offer to make such payments for poor service, without Ofgem finding them to be in breach of the rules.

The funds can pay for anything from making a home more energy efficient, to providing advice that helps struggling consumers keep on top of their bills.

Ofgem has chosen the Energy Saving Trust to manage how these funds are distributed in future, following an open procurement process.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    Ofgem has appointed the Energy Saving Trust to distribute payments to charities from energy companies who have breached rules.

Under Ofgem’s redress process, energy companies who break the rules can agree to make voluntary payments to help energy consumers through charities, trusts and third party organisations. These payments are made in addition to direct compensation to affected customers, and are, in lieu of, or in addition, to a financial penalty. Energy companies may also offer to make such payments for poor service, without Ofgem finding them to be in breach of the rules.

The funds can pay for anything from making a home more energy efficient, to providing advice that helps struggling consumers keep on top of their bills.

Ofgem has chosen the Energy Saving Trust to manage how these funds are distributed in future, following an open procurement process.

Perhaps they should spend some of the £350k updating their website as it currently claims:-

"Between now and 2015, installation trials are being undertaken to build and test business processes, and to establish what works best for consumers."
    and
    "The main smart meter roll out will begin in 2015 and will provide all customers with smart meters."

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/home-energy-efficiency/smart-meters/smart-meter-roll-out-faqs

....and with no mention there of smart meters being optional.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport