Contents insurance allowing third party repair

I recently wanted to claim for damage to a camera under my Coop Benefits Gadget insurance but their terms say that they arrange the repair (which will involve being without camera for a week or more). There is a local repairer that will give me a quote and repair more promptly but this won't be covered. I haven't much choice in this instance but, as I need a new contents policy and want to be without my camera for as short a time as possible:
Is repair only as arranged by insurer standard for most policies or are there some that allow you to claim on the basis of a local quote?

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Most policies will offer a third-party repair, as -

a) It is more cost effective for the insurer, wherein the third-party repairer offers a discounted rate for the regular business
    b) The insurer gets extra information from a third-party repair, including, but not limited to, the pre-loss condition of the item & whether the damages are consistent with what you have advised.

Your best bet is to read through policy terms, and double-check by calling any which don't explicitly mention repairs at their authorised service centre. There won't be many, though.
  • cimidyue
    cimidyue Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks. This was unfortunately as I expected. I wasn't totally clear that by Third Party repairs I actually meant repair other than through the insurer but you have answered my question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure