Car insurance, not my car..

Options
Does anyone know of an online company i can use to buy car insurance from? When the car is not my car. I want to learn to drive, it will be my cousins car, not my own car, he will be teaching me once a week, for 1 hour at most. I've tried several online insurers but towards the end they are all asking question for my car, when its not my car, its someone elses (my cousins). So far i'm getting £1,000 a year insurance quotes, when i'm only going to be driving the car 1 hour a week max. The car itself was bought for £1,000, many years ago !!!!!!!!

I cannot afford the rip off prices of the local driving instructors so i need my cousin to show me, then after a while, i can go to a local drivng instructor, when i know how to drive. So it doesn't cost me a bomb.

Comments

• Farside
    Farside Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Already done that for the past 7 hours and all are the same, fill out the info, then right at end it works out that they are asking for YOUR car, not a car owned by someone else, which is why i'm now asking on here for actual website for car insurers for car not owned by learner driver.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Farside wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an online company i can use to buy car insurance from? When the car is not my car. I want to learn to drive, it will be my cousins car, not my own car, he will be teaching me once a week, for 1 hour at most. I've tried several online insurers but towards the end they are all asking question for my car, when its not my car, its someone elses (my cousins). So far i'm getting £1,000 a year insurance quotes, when i'm only going to be driving the car 1 hour a week max. The car itself was bought for £1,000, many years ago !!!!!!!!

I cannot afford the rip off prices of the local driving instructors so i need my cousin to show me, then after a while, i can go to a local drivng instructor, when i know how to drive. So it doesn't cost me a bomb.

When is your cousins car insurance up for renewal? Figure out how long it will take you to get to a standard that you want to be to go with a Instructor. Then get added to his insurance.

When I started to teach my daughter she wanted to do the same as you and just do an hour a week. I said no! I insisted on taking her out for 3 to 4 hours at a time. When she went to an instructor she had been driving for a total of 20 hours over 4 weeks. Instructor spent 2 hours with her and said to put in for a test. You will learn quicker. People who learn to drive over 3 to 5 days can usually take their tests after 12 to 18 hours of driving.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Providing your cousin has his own policy on the car for his own use there are a number of insurers offering products for leaner drivers to borrow a car. You pay by the day or even hour in some cases which gives your own policy covering you on the car so if you have a bump it does not impact the car owners own insurance. Google "learner driver insurance on somebody else's car" for lots of links.

If your cousin does not have insurance it may be easier to buy the car from him and take out your own policy. Just be aware that whilst your insurance may be surprisingly reasonable as a learner as soon as you pass the insurer may not be able to continue insuring you or the price will increase significantly. It is worth actually speaking to any potential insurer to check what impact passing will have on your policy.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 June 2018 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Farside wrote: »

Is your cousin 21 years old or over ?

Has he held his licence for at least 3 years ?

If answers are no and 1 year then he can't teach you to drive.

Id be concerned about any bad habits you coulld be taught by your cousin, the instructor would tell you not to do it if you show the bad habits.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get proper lessons with an instructor for less money than that. And they are qualified to teach you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I believe there's a company called marmalade that might provide that sort of cover?
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2018 at 5:07PM
    Options
    If it isn't too late, try Veygo. They will insure a learner in someone else's car on an hourly basis (minimum 2 hours). For my daughter in our car, it is £4 for 2 hours.
    koru
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport