Car insurance and moving house

EMCS
EMCS Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 11 June 2018 at 12:10PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi all,

This may be a silly question but my car insurance is due renewal on 7th July and I will be moving out of my parents’ house on July 12th (or sometime close as it’s a new build).

When I’m looking for quotes, should I be using my parents’ address or the new address? Or is it a case of phoning them once I have moved in to update everything?

Thanks in advance!
First-time buyer, muddling through

Comments

• eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EMCS wrote: »
    Hi all,

This may be a silly question but my car insurance is due renewal on 7th July and I will be moving out of my parents’ house on July 12th (or sometime close as it’s a new build).

When I’m looking for quotes, should I be using my parents’ address or the new address? Or is it a case of phoning them once I have moved in to update everything?

Thanks in advance!

To be legally right you need to insure as being at your parents address until you move.

Then inform your insurance once you move. At this point, your insurer depending on their policy may charge your their standard admin fee and possibly an increase in premium.

Hope you aren't with Esure.
  • EMCS
    EMCS Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks!!!8212;thought that might be the case. Was just hoping for a way to avoid the admin fee and any extra!
    First-time buyer, muddling through
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EMCS wrote: »
    Thanks!!!8212;thought that might be the case. Was just hoping for a way to avoid the admin fee and any extra!

Does the insurer charge an admin fee ?
  • Some insurers don!!!8217;t charge an admin fee within the first 14 days of the policy renewing, may be worth checking with your company on that. The change of address can change the price though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure