Is it common for quotes to be double?

Maybe I have led a sheltered life, but I've generally found that (other than nonsense low quotes from cowboys, people using knocked-off equipment, etc., and super-slick outfits with huge overheads who only serve people wiih lots of dosh), the difference between the lowest quote from a competent trades person and the highest is about 50% (i.e., highest is about 50% higher than lowest).

I've been getting quotes for rewire/networking/satellite installation, and for plasterer/decorator that have a 2x difference between the lowest and highest. Despite being given a fairly clear brief, some of the differences are due to a different spec on some of the quotes (missing installation of a wired front door light; missing installation of double socket in loft, etc.), but even adjusting for that I am surprised at the differences.

Am I just being naive? Is this typical?
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think it depends on lots of factors.

How local they are - Do they want to have an easy day?
    How busy they are - If they are quiet they will be keener but if booked for 3 months less so.

What car you have in the drive - I have a company car which I now hide round the corner when getting quotes as I find the german badge adds 20%-50% to the quote.

Whether you are a pain in the backside - Not you personally OP but the customer. I had a friend who wrote an 18 page job spec for what was a 3-4 days worth of work for a handyman and was amazed when the quotes came in at 15k plus. They just didnt want to deal with him.

A lot of people dont advertise anymore but use review sites and the guys in the top 10 cant handle the volume of quotes or work so tend to quote high.

Did you offer them tea?
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't take any note of cars when in the drive when I go to quote
    I do take note of the client- are they nice, am I offered a cuppa, do they know what they want....

If you are getting an electrician in I would suggest using a registered company- this may account for the difference

There is also the VAT thing- I am one man band who has my son as an apprentice and I trade well under the VAT threshold.
    Smaller companies have lower overheads

Always use a registered electrician;
    In Scotland

www.select.org.uk

or
    www.niceic.com

In England and Wales;

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

baldly going on...
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ukjoel wrote: »
    I think it depends on lots of factors.

How local they are - Do they want to have an easy day?
    How busy they are - If they are quiet they will be keener but if booked for 3 months less so.

What car you have in the drive - I have a company car which I now hide round the corner when getting quotes as I find the german badge adds 20%-50% to the quote.

Whether you are a pain in the backside - Not you personally OP but the customer. I had a friend who wrote an 18 page job spec for what was a 3-4 days worth of work for a handyman and was amazed when the quotes came in at 15k plus. They just didnt want to deal with him.

A lot of people dont advertise anymore but use review sites and the guys in the top 10 cant handle the volume of quotes or work so tend to quote high.

Did you offer them tea?

No tea - I don't yet have a kettle! I think I'm pretty congenial and not a pain in the bahookie so hopefully none of them want shot of me.

And I have a middle of the road Citroen C3, so that hopefully gets me a discount!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    Forumite
    ruhe wrote: »
    Yes this is very common! I have some electrical work that needs to be done upstairs and a kitchen that needs rewiring.

Quote 1: The electrician has several new vans on lease-hire, an apprentice as well as a secretary and seems to be quite busy and expanding.

Quote 2: A one man band non vat registered electrician who drives around in a regular older model vehicle.

Both quoted for the exact same amount of days but Quote 1 was: £300 per day for the electrician inc vat and £150 for the apprentice and would take 5 x days with a total of: £2,250
    Quote 2: 1 x non vat registered electrician at £160 per day with no apprentice who also takes 5 x days with a total cost in comparison of : £800

Both electricians were found by recommendation and both are considered excellent

The above is typical but can vary much more

That's quite similar to my experience. Whopping quote from big company who also sell appliances, etc., and have a showroom. Excellent numerous online reviews.

Much more "reasonable" ;) quote from one-man band who comes with excellent recommendation from a reputable builder ...
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    Forumite
    I'm currently getting further quotes in for plastering decorating. Looks like probably the best quote (cheapest, but not "daft/suspicious cheap"; and most accommodating) is from a nice young lad (I am 61, so anyone under 35 is a "lad") with several years' experience who has fairly recently branched out into his own business.

He is still working with a landscape gardener in between, obviously to keep money coming in, and his dad (retired decorator) also seems to help him out when needed.

So, he has the skills from several years working with a decorating business, and is obviously keen to build his business and reputation. A whole-house job like mine is a good job to take, so it's a mutually advantageous situation. I get someone who is willing and able to fit my timeline and is keen to accommodate my needs - for example, if he can't do the whole house before my furniture is due to arrive, we can either schedule specific rooms first, or potentially leave items like the doors to later.

I'm finding the whole process fascinating study of human nature (including my own!) So far, I feel like I have been fair with everyone and in return they have been straight with me, but I find the range of communication styles, level of detail in the quotes, and of course the difference in ££ quoted is huge.

When the dust settles, I'll come back with a rundown of quotes I got, things I learned, which ones I went with and why.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    Forumite
    I just remembered that I said I would come back with an update, so briefly ... I have divided the work into two sets of jobs: (1) Rewire, satellite installation (6 locations) and Ethernet installation (6 locations); and (2) Plastering (making good the chasing into the wall and patching any other issues when wallpaper is off) and redecoration.

I was very lucky in that everyone turned up when they said they would (except one person, who I rescheduled for 2 days later),and everyone provided a quote (except one person, who also didn't reply when I contacted him with a friendly email after I had decided who to go with).

Job set 1 received quotes that ranged from £2,650 to £4,750. Some of these quotes were from a single outfit doing everything, to a combination of two outfits, with one doing rewire and the other doing the rest.

Job set 2 received quotes ranging from 2,600-£2,900 (depending on state of walls after paper removed) to £5,900.

I ended up going with the quote above the lowest for the Job set 1, and the lowest quote for Job set 2. Interestingly, almost every outfit I eventually decided on was recommended by the same person (a very reputable local builder).

Also interestingly, the highest quotes weren't necessarily the most problem-free. For example, the outfit that gave the highest plaster/decorate quote was not willing to remove the rads. One of the people I have gone with for redecorating is an early-stage business who is trying to build his books, so he is a bit of a leap of faith, but also a golden opportunity for both of us. I get a cheaper quote and flexibility from him, and he gets a fair bit of flexibility from me.

It has been a very interesting experience, and I must say much easier than I ever had when trying to get quotes up in north of Glasgow where I used to live. Considering I was asking for tight turnaround with the quotes, I was surprised they all came through. And all were easy to deal with and no BS tutting and sucking of teeth.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Very interesting read. I will be looking for quotes myself soon for a rewire and central heating update.
  • Did you know the per M2 rate for plasterers on building sites is lower now than 1995. That plaster has risen by 299% in the same time.
    PL insurance and van insurance has risen from £185 in 2006 a year to £668.
    Petrol and diesel is £1.50 ltr in some places.
    VAT is now 20%
    Business rates, VAT, Accounts and staff cost me £3500 A WEEK before i get up in the mornings.
    I am 60 years old and still do +13 hrs a day with no holiday pay, no sick pay and no guarantee to get any business in the next 6 months.

Any I still find that the 35 hrs a week +£60k a year brigade and pensioners, want the best possible work, for the least amount of money.

not complaining...... just sayin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport