Iresa offering smart meter

Comments

• I'm wondering if that means Iresa can now read my smart meters?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I have solar panels too, with a Scottish power smart meter.

I hadn't thought about this before, surely its just a case of how they are wired up?

The 'objective' as far as I can tell is that the Government only wants to pay for the actual energy that is exported to the Grid rather than the nominal 50% applied to most households today. SMETS requires meters to record both imported (supplied) and exported (generated) energy.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/08/smart-meters-and-solar-panels-whats-the-sticking-point/
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good point. They owe me money currently and are ignoring my requests for it back. As soon as it hits 8 weeks, I'll be going to the ombudsman.

Welcome back after over 3 years in the abyss :cool:

You won't get any money back (unless you have made a one off payment which the supplier deems was done purely to earn the interest they pay on credit amounts) whilst you are be supplied by them. The supplier will amend the monthly direct debit if needs be.

Here is a useful MSE article that may assist you:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits

Also, if you genuinely have accrued credit of £200+, then it's worthwhile checking the comparison sites again based on a more accurate assumption of your anticipated annual consumption.
    They've also used an estimated reading after I gave them a current one yet again. It seems like if I don't do a meter reading at the end of the month, they estimate the bill even if I've done one just before.
    Correct. The supplier bills for every complete calendar month (usually)
    So unless you provide a meter reading onn the lastr day of the month, the supplier will use an estimate for that day (based on any readings you have submitted). Of course, it all catches up the next month, as long as you give a reading that following month too.
    They are really cheap but I'm considering switching just because they're so awful. I just don't want to leave them with over £200 owed to me when I do because I think it'll be a nightmare getting it back.

That turned into a bit of a cathartic rant :mad:

Once you switch away from them, they will be required to produce a final bill for you. They are expected to do this within 6 weeks of you actually leaviung them.
    You will then get any credit showing on that final bill returned.

Good luck!
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm wondering if that means Iresa can now read my smart meters?

Have they notified you they can?

From Iresa website:
    I have a smart meter, can I still switch my supply?

If a smart meter has been installed by a previous supplier we will treat it as a traditional credit meter until such time as we notify you that we are able to utilise its smart functionality....
    http://www.iresa.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    BG aren't actively fitting smets2 compliant meters yet. Last i heard, they had around 60 on a customers wall as part of the initial trial. Its going to be 4/5 months before BG roll out smets2 nationally.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2018 at 11:48AM
    MeterMan wrote: »
    BG aren't actively fitting smets2 compliant meters yet. Last i heard, they had around 60 on a customers wall as part of the initial trial. Its going to be 4/5 months before BG roll out smets2 nationally.
    Landis and Gyr state on their website that a module exchange only is needed without moving the base gas meters.
    The Landis Gyr Libra 310/310p which has commonly been fitted to over 2 million properties by BG can be upgraded to the SMETS2 compliant Libra G370 Zigbee with just a quick module switch.
    https://www.landisgyr.eu/product/g370-zigbee-smart-ultrasonic-gas-meter/
    Maybe your job will become a little simpler in the near future
  • webbit
    webbit Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Im with these was paying 52 a month, with 5 days to go to DD date they email to say its now £69,im £3 in debit... they say to build up a credit and because of my expected usage...well last year i used with these 5100kw they say i will use 6780...how the hell did they get that. Anyway so they dont get the £69 i cancelled dd and have swapped to OVO
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm wondering if that means Iresa can now read my smart meters?

There are no plans for Supplier A to be able to read Supplier B’s meters. The Govt has set up a Data Communications Company (DCC) for this purpose. All smart meters, in the future, will connect to the DCC as will all suppliers. The days of meters communicating directly with individual suppliers are limited.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Landis and Gyr state on their website that a module exchange only is needed without moving the base gas meters.
    The Landis Gyr Libra 310/310p which has commonly been fitted to over 2 million properties by BG can be upgraded to the SMETS2 compliant Libra G370 Zigbee with just a quick module switch.
    https://www.landisgyr.eu/product/g370-zigbee-smart-ultrasonic-gas-meter/
    Maybe your job will become a little simpler in the near future

OTA is over the air update, so we don't even need to do a module exchange. Everything at BG is currently being updated to sm1.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 1:21PM
    webbit wrote: »
    Im with these was paying 52 a month, with 5 days to go to DD date they email to say its now £69,im £3 in debit... they say to build up a credit and because of my expected usage...well last year i used with these 5100kw they say i will use 6780...how the hell did they get that. Anyway so they dont get the £69 i cancelled dd and have swapped to OVO

So you came here to post the same post 3 times in different threads?

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport