Starting a wheelie bin cleaning business

Hi there,

I'm wanting to start a wheelie bin cleaning business and wondering if there is anyone out there who is currently in this field and can provide me with information on their equipment? I have been quoted almost 10k for a hydraulic operated trailer system which obviously is a massive outlay for a relatively simple operation. I know there is waste management laws and licenses which need to be adhered to and i am clued up on this... I'm really only looking for information on equipment and costs. If I could have any information on expected annual turnover and net profit I'd be grateful.

Kind regards
Gary

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    This is vague because it's not my industry, but there is a mint to be made if you work hard. I saw a guy featured on the BBC who was a millionaire because of his wheelie bin cleaning business. I think he charged like £4 for each 10 min clean! He worked like a trojan though!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 July 2016 at 2:51PM
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    I saw a guy featured on the BBC who was a millionaire because of his wheelie bin cleaning business. I think he charged like £4 for each 10 min clean! He worked like a trojan though!

If he did actual cleaning for 8 hrs per day (excluding travelling time)

then £24 ph x 8 = £192 x 5 = £960, could easily earn £48K pa.

But how many people would spend over £200 pa just to have their bin cleaned. You can buy a brand new 240 litre model for £40!

We have a bin cleaner who visits our road, but I doubt if more than 20% of the houses use his services. I certainly don't. Actually i don't think I've seen him for several months now
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The one who works round here is a franchise - have you looked into how much it would cost to buy into an established set-up?
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You should be able to build your own system for much less than £10k.

There was a chap in my area who bought an old hi-top van, fitted it with a 4Kw inverter, water tank and jet washer. He made a simple wooden ramp to put the bins on out of plywood.
    Probably cost him less than £5k.

The only extra kit you would need to add would be a standpipe and hose to fill the water tank up with and away you go.

If I remember, he had long hoses for the jet washer so he also washed vehicles and driveways for extra income.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Gary, do you have either a lot of new estates in your area or is there no established wheeliebin cleaning service? Because if neither, I think you will struggle to find customers.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Get yourself a ton of disinfectant and use great big bottles of water? Depends on how clean people want these bins to be, I suppose.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'd be testing the waters as to actual interest in such a service in your local area before making any kind of outlay on the cost of equipment.

In my area, for example, many people cannot even be bothered to collect their bin for days after it's been emptied. I doubt such people would care whether the bin was kept clean or not.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    fewgroats wrote: »
    Get yourself a ton of disinfectant and use great big bottles of water?
    This wouldn't be allowed. Waste Management laws need to be adhered to and licences are not granted to people offering a quick wipe with disinfectant!
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Also you can't dispose of the brown wastewater down a roadside drain
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A similar type of thing i've seen a window cleaner around here and instead of ladders,he has a tank of water in the back of his van and a power hose,
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport