greent's mfw journey

Comments

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, I'm in total agreement about large handbags being extremely useful to take snacks into cinema. :)
    We never buy food at the cinema-far too expensive.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    First day back at school for the smallest 2 today :) - they had a good time. Am slightly concerned at DS3's teacher - she is very hard for a Y2 teacher and the Y1 teacher is very soft - the change is very drastic :( She is a bit of a cow, tbh - I've never really liked her!) DS2 has a teacher I've only briefly met before - she only joined the school last Sept. She seems nice, though :)

OH and I popped to M&S outlet as previously mentioned - I bought long line Per Una cardigan for work, a gorgeous soft heather toned short sleeved jumper/ woolly top for work, 2 vest tops (to replace holey ones) and a cute pair of socks with rainbows on :D I then popped into the Hallmark shop armed with my list and bought cards for the rest of the year, except OH's bday and Xmas ones, and one for my mum for Xmas from the children.:j Then we nipped into a DIY store for a few pieces and came home to a chap here to fix the boiler snags - yeay! Also popped out with DS1 for new water bottle and maths set (latter = bargainacious £1.50 RTC in Tosco :T)

New windows and doors are being fitted in 2 weeks - yippee! Still chasing and chasing the kitchen guy, though :( Will be disappointed if he decides not to do it, but at least we could then look for someone else - we're rather in limbo at the mo :(

Might pop out to look at fridge freezers tomorrow (ooh - the excitement! :rotfl:) I know which one I'd like in theory, I just haven't actually seen it in real life yet!

Other plans for the week are volunteering Fri morning (may pop in tomorrow too, as I have a bootful of stuff), general housework, a bit more knodo-ing - and that sorting and organising of the Xmas stash!

Bye for Now - it's bakeoff time!!! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hope the year 2 teacher softens a bit. My dd is also going into year 2 this time. Your decluttering total a few posts back was amazing! You do so well on eBay too.
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dd is going into y3. Cannot believe she is to be in the Juniors!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • It seems strange to become a infant school teacher and be hard. My sister (20+ yrs ago) had the same thing. I hope all four have a lovely first week back.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • My biggest baby started college today. Youngest 2 back tomorrow.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • greent wrote: »
    My sister and her OH moved house on Fri. OH and DS1 went to help, as they did it without a removal co :eek: and I stayed with smallies and supervised boiler (good job that I did, too, because of snags!) I then went along at tea time for a few hours to help. It's the 2 of them and then his 2 children at weekends - they have WAY too much stuff!! (I did consider buying her a moving in present of Marie Kondo's book, but I'm not sure she'd appreciate it! :rotfl:)

I did think of getting my friend and my sister this book for xmas, do you think its insulting??
    greent wrote: »
    OH and I popped to M&S outlet as previously mentioned - I bought long line Per Una cardigan for work, a gorgeous soft heather toned short sleeved jumper/ woolly top for work, 2 vest tops (to replace holey ones) and a cute pair of socks with rainbows on :D I then popped into the Hallmark shop armed with my list and bought cards for the rest of the year, except OH's bday and Xmas ones, and one for my mum for Xmas from the children.:j Then we nipped into a DIY store for a few pieces and came home to a chap here to fix the boiler snags - yeay! Also popped out with DS1 for new water bottle and maths set (latter = bargainacious £1.50 RTC in Tosco :T)

I am quite scared that I havent even started xmas shopping yet, I usually start in Jan lol. I have absolutely nothing and am panicking already!! As kids get older the presents get dearer!
    New windows and doors are being fitted in 2 weeks - yippee! Still chasing and chasing the kitchen guy, though :( Will be disappointed if he decides not to do it, but at least we could then look for someone else - we're rather in limbo at the mo :(

Might pop out to look at fridge freezers tomorrow (ooh - the excitement! :rotfl:) I know which one I'd like in theory, I just haven't actually seen it in real life yet!

Other plans for the week are volunteering Fri morning (may pop in tomorrow too, as I have a bootful of stuff), general housework, a bit more knodo-ing - and that sorting and organising of the Xmas stash!

Bye for Now - it's bakeoff time!!! :D
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • greent
    Forumite
    edited 4 September 2015 at 4:28PM
    DS3 seems to be getting on ok with the Y2 teacher, thankfully. She is very sarcastic to her class and uses rhetorical questions - which they then try to answer (6 year olds still being quite literal for the main) and then tells them that she didn't want an answer to that in quite a cross manner :( They are also used to their Y1 teacher and TA being very 'hug-gy' - and she has told them that they 'don't do that in Y2', which will upset quite a few of them. DS3 is just very tired and grumpy tonight!

Aside from that, DS2 is loving the start to Y5 - topic is all about space stuff, which he loves :D DS1 has been back 2 days and Y11 seems to be going ok. DD went back to Y13 today and it was chaos - no timetables for them, a change to the timing of the school day (moved from a 2 week timetable to a 1 week timetable and from 7 lessons to 5) and no one knew what they were doing or where they were meant to be!!:eek:

OH's contract finished a couple of weeks ago. He has a couple of interviews next week, so will see how they pan out. Meanwhile he's been doing some small DIY jobs which need doing - and creating a lot of dust in the process!! I've been doing my voluntary stuff today - we are really behind with our stuff from the summer hols where people weren't there as much as usual. A busy few weeks coming up, I feel! I've also got some training for paid work next week, and a morning's work invigilating the 11+ entry exam - which I don't mind, as DS2 will be sitting that next year, and it's changed a lot from when my eldest 2 took it (we still have 7 grammar schools here in Glos, so there is selective entry for them)

It feels like it's been a long week - looking forward to flopping later. Peri-peri chicken for dinner with rice and salad (for big people, pasta for the small ones!) - and I feel that a glass of rose with it is in order - must go and put a bottle in the fridge! :D

I did think of getting my friend and my sister this book for xmas, do you think its insulting??

No - I think it's a great book - but my sister is very sensitive about her retail therapy habits and I was pushing it when I was joking about it to her. I might lend her my copy when she's more settled - both in her new home and life - she's had some big stuff to deal with of late and I don't think it would go down well right now! ;):D

xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • DS3'S teacher sounds like hell on wheels.

Is she usually the year 6 teacher?
  • greent
    Forumite
    She did 2 years covering mat leave at the school on a temporary basis - I think the first was Y4 and then definitely Y6 - before being offered a permanent post. She's been the Y2 teacher ever since then. She is a control freak and if you are a class helper parent (or work experience Y11 student) you are not allowed to do anything other than cut pieces of paper up, tidy up etc - heaven forbid you ever show initiative! She's also been worse over the last few years as she was based in a temporary type classroom (we used to call them terrapins) so not attached to the main school, so her shouting was less obvious. She's been moved back in so maybe that'll calm the noise down (she has a very loud bellow/ roar of a shout which is scary to hear as an adult, let alone as a 6yo) She's very efficient, on the SLT (about a year after joining the school in a perm position), a staff rep on Governors and also likes to go to PTA meetings (but doesn't do anything, just offer 'helpful' suggestions) - I get the impression that she wants to know everything which is going on, just in case. For a teacher who lives very close to the school and has no children of her own she is also very unwilling to run after school activities, come along to events (PTA type) - perhaps she feels that by attending Gov and PTA meetings she does her bit, maybe. However, others who live further away and have young family commitments get involved in these things a lot more.

Oh well - only 10.5 months of her left.......... ;)

I fell asleep around 9pm last night!! - was absolutely shattered. Heavy rain here overnight. It is meant to be dry later, though. We are off to http://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/ at some point this weekend - the Lego animal trail finishes soon. We are members and it's only about 30 mins away so worth popping down - the small 2 will enjoy it, but I fully expect the teens to stay at home! :)

Lots of washing and ironing this weekend - the school uniform really adds to it all! :/

OH and I are off out for a meal for a friend's husband's 40th tonight - it was arranged and booked back in about May! We've since had another 40th invitation from our neighbour for a party - so we may disappear as soon as poss after the meal is over (I think the plan is for those who want to to go on somewhere for drinks) and make our way to the party to show our faces there. Neighbour is aware that we are already committed elsewhere though, should we not make it.

x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure