Since when could a buyer just retract their bid?

Options
I'm fairly sure this never used to be a thing where a buyer could retract their bid - the person placing the bids would have to ASK if the seller could remove their bid and that if the bid wasn't removed then a negative could be left for the time wasting bidder (ok so that must be going back a bit i know). I just wasn't aware a bidder could remove their bid at any point.

I'm selling an item that i didn't think would sell, so when i got a bid i was pleased. Ok i could just throw it in the bin for what it's worth but i thought i'd chance it. :rotfl:
The item is up at £1.00. I put the auction up on Sunday.

I've just checked out the details and this person placed their bid yesterday at 8:20pm and removed it today at 12:10pm listing the reason as entered wrong amount.

Amount they bid ...... £1.09.

Seriously?? :mad: Timewaster.

I know we're only talking pence here at the end of the day but it's not the pence that i'm asking about.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Block them. Be grateful they didn't win.

A seller hasn't been able to leave neg feedback for more than "going back a bit" it's probably more like 10 years.....
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Always thought a buyer could retract their bid. The only time they could not was within 12 or 24? hours of the auction ending. If they try after that time they wont be able to do it.

At least it didnt cost you to post it and then have to pay to get it back.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    The auction is actually still live. There's about 4-5 days left to go. Would you still block the person?

Yeah i know it's been a while since a seller could leave negs but i'm sure you used to be unable to remove your own bid? Although granted not 100% sure.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Yeah i know it's been a while since a seller could leave negs but i'm sure you used to be unable to remove your own bid? Although granted not 100% sure.
    It's always been possible (well as far back as I can remember, it may not have been in the very early days). They could also ask the seller to cancel. I usually directed them to do it themselves.
    I'd rather have a cancelled bid than a non paying bidder.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or worse a bidder that pays and then claims NAD and you get to waste money posting it and paying the postage to get it back.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had both recently.
    One cancelling their bid as soon as they placed it because they bid THEN read the description (and had a dig at me after they did so) - they got blocked.
    And one who bid, but got in touch because they were bidding on behalf of their son, and apparently they bid on the wrong thing, and asked me to cancel the bid for them. They were very apologetic though.
    I don't know if it's to do with the time left on the item, but both ways to cancel are available.
    I'd rather have cancelled bids too than having time wasters bid and then don't pay 'cos they have changed their minds. I've had them bid, win, then want to cancel the sale due to 'the item was more than I wanted to pay'. Why do these morons bid in the first place then.
    It is fun blocking them though ;)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport