Diesel Particulate Filter

taffy056
taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
Hiya guys,

I have a Mazda 6 turbo diesel and the DPF light and management light has come on, its a high miler 85k on a 57 plate, I have run over it 2000 rpm for quite a few miles and its not cleared with regeneration, and was wondering my next step with this.

I was thinking of having it taken out and the ecu reprogrammed , but its expensive at about £500 , there are quite a few people selling snakeoil that claims all sort of things. The garages are saying thousands to replace the thing.

Anyone got an alternative ? Thanks and Happy Christmas ;)
Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?

Comments

• Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    edited 24 December 2011 at 6:36PM
    Have they said that the DPF needs replacing? If so your options are to have it replaced, which won't be cheap, or to have it removed and the management system reprogrammed. Although this is coming in at £500 it is far cheaper than a new DPF.

Are you a member of any Mazda forums? If not it might be worth looking for them to see if other owners have had the same issues and how they sorted it out.

A quick Google search showed this:-

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/blog/tag/mazda-6-dpf-problems/
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    DPFs can be cleaned out but that's still around £400 - I've seen it done successfully on some of the fleet cars at work
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Your next step is to get rid of the car asap. The Mazda DPF system is a joke, they get round this by warning you in the handbook to check things, do this, do that etc. Get the oil level checked now. If it is diluted or above max there is danger of the car running on and blowing itself up.
  • Daveyjp is spot on, the best view of one of these cars is from the rear with a new owner (who didn't research first either) driving away whilst it's still running.
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Daveyjp is spot on, the best view of one of these cars is from the rear with a new owner (who didn't research first either) driving away whilst it's still running.

The trouble is more and more diesels are being fitted with them.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Which is why my current car has a simple petrol engine. Diesels are now for those who don't pick up the tab when it all goes wrong.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Can't get rid of it I am afraid so I am stuck with it, it has been serviced regularly by mazda and the next one is in 2500 miles, the oil is fine and not diluted in any way, guess I will have to get the thing removed to solve the problem, the car is perfect by the way I love mazdas and have never had any problems with them, well until now!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • SCO
    SCO Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    taffy056 wrote: »
    Can't get rid of it I am afraid so I am stuck with it, it has been serviced regularly by mazda and the next one is in 2500 miles, the oil is fine and not diluted in any way, guess I will have to get the thing removed to solve the problem, the car is perfect by the way I love mazdas and have never had any problems with them, well until now!

Have heard with the vauxhall's if you take it out and jet wash it does the job.

maybe would work for you.

worth a try before spending £500.
  • SCO
    SCO Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Trebor16 wrote: »
    The trouble is more and more diesels are being fitted with them.

All new diesels have them now.
  • if your handy with a set of spanners, and have a pressure washer handy, and a dry garage or car port get it up on axle stands, take the thing off, (disconnect battery) and wash it out. usually you have to top up with elloys fluid, these usually a filler funnel in or around the rear arches (tyre removal required) top it back up. put all back together and do a 30 min long run for the ecu to relurn. EML should stay off.

then save up get the EGR valve,DPF removed AND ecu reprogramed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport