Sat Nav verses hands free phone kit

I am starting a new job where I will have to commute to work by car. At the moment I am reliant on looking up routes beforehand and trying to memorize them, which is OK on the more straightforward routes, except when there is a diversion I am unfamiliar with in place. Also my car is an older model so does not have hands free calling which I may need to let people know if I am going to be late.

So to summarize what I need is the ability to check routes on a map display as I drive (preferably with lane and junction indicators, additional location markers such as buildings would also be useful as not all road name signs are clearly visible), the ability to make phone calls (if it becomes necessary), and, preferably, accurate traffic information.

I am not sure whether to buy a hands free phone kit or a sat nav and which model is best?
I know that in the past my siblings have used TomTom and Garmin sat navs and I was not that impressed with the TomTom but that was several years ago before any of us had a smartphone with accurate gps.

Any advice welcome as I am hoping to use the Black Friday sales to get a discount on what I need.

Thanks.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Waze app is your friend , live traffic updates and rerouting if needed

Ability to make calls via "hey Google" and" telephone xxxx"
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I used to have a TomTom but when that broke I didn't feel the need to spend £100 when there's bound to be an app that will work just as good.

I now use the Waze app, I find it preferable to the maps on my iPhone as the Waze shows you the speed and I find is clearer in terms of voice commands.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Waze is free too! Oh yes and I agree about traffic problems, if there's a car broken down on the hard shoulder it even alerts you to that. Not sure how it does it but it's great.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mum struggled with dedicated satnavs and worried about roads being out of date. Got her using google maps and she loves it. Found it very easy.

Hope she doesnt read this but electricty was a new fangled invention to her. :)
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure