Car Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Right I have just passed my driving test this month. I have now got a car which my Dad gave me a Citreon Saxo VTR 1.6 1999 Model.

I am 17 and have been looking through all diffrent insurance quotes. The cheapest I can find £6000 am I doing something wrong or is all insurance for 17 years olds this expensive.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

You have possibly the worst first car in the world :rotfl:

I can't believe you'd get below £4-5k on that.
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Right I have just passed my driving test this month. I have now got a car which my Dad gave me a Citreon Saxo VTR 1.6 1999 Model.

I am 17 and have been looking through all diffrent insurance quotes. The cheapest I can find £6000 am I doing something wrong or is all insurance for 17 years olds this expensive.

Thanks

Yes you got a really stupid first car and you're 17.
  • NineThreeNine
    NineThreeNine Posts: 44 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2010 at 11:27PM
    katies_nan wrote: »
    Can someone help

I have just received my car insurance renewal quote and the premuim has gone up by £160 i contacted the insurer to be told that although i do have my no claims bonus protected, i did report an 'incident' in the past 12months. This 'incident' was me reporting that someone had run into the back of me, and as it turned out their insurance company paid for everything, which meant that my insurance company were not involved. Why and how can they justify adding a premuim to my insurance costs because of this???

Insurers hold information on any 'accident' you report, even non-fault and non-costing ones. TYPICALLY, one non-fault accident (claimed or not claimed) is ignored or a small loading (10%). This would not have made any difference to your NCB with any insurer, even without protected NCB.

My advise: move insurer.
    dannodw wrote: »
    The cheapest was with swift cover, costing £504. This is with 3 years no claims and is around £250 cheaper than last year.

Did another quote today in preparation for buying and the price has rocketed everywhere, the cheapest still being swift cover but at £673!

What's changed within the 2 weeks of me doing a quote?

1. If your quotes were in different months, then an update will have been done to most policies. This means new area ratings, vehicle ratings, and possibly new discounts/loads.
    2. Some systems use a pricing system where the quote is calculated in real time. Hence it could have been affected by the time of day! e.g. give a 10% discount in off peak times.
    3. There could be an error in the system, not joking! Either one giving you a load, or one was fixed and the original price was wrong :(
    Qualified member of the Chartered Institute of Insurers.
    I used to work for a software house dealing with insurance quotations, so I know quite a lot about a few insurers!
  • dennis1
    dennis1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    This is a warning!
    Last year my insurers were Aviva. I went with them as I got £70 cash back, now I wish I hadn,t. The max NCD they will give you is 5 years even if you have over this. This ok until you leave them and go to the next company and they will then only provide you with evidence of their max 5 years despite what you went to them with.
    So in a year I have essentially lost the benefit of 6 years NCD!
    There seems to be no way of doing anything about this and apparently all insurers have different max years discount that they will give you.
    Would love Martin the investigate this but am new to this and don't know how to ask him to look into it , any ideas?
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    dennis1 wrote: »
    This is a warning!
    Last year my insurers were Aviva. I went with them as I got £70 cash back, now I wish I hadn,t. The max NCD they will give you is 5 years even if you have over this. This ok until you leave them and go to the next company and they will then only provide you with evidence of their max 5 years despite what you went to them with.
    So in a year I have essentially lost the benefit of 6 years NCD!
    There seems to be no way of doing anything about this and apparently all insurers have different max years discount that they will give you.
    Would love Martin the investigate this but am new to this and don't know how to ask him to look into it , any ideas?

If last year's renewal document shows more than 5 years NCB, and your current renewal shows no claims, send both to your next insurer.

You'll find that 5 years being max ncb is an industry standard though ;)
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Thanks

I've just been through the process for my son.
    Use a search engine and don't be afraid to change your input details (without voiding the policy with lies.) For example my sons quote was cheaper if I was added as a named driver, so I tried adding his mum and it was reduced further still!
    It may well be that we never have occasion to drive his car. But it's useful to know we can go and rescue him if necessary..., especially as it saves money. (I wonder if it would continue to be reduced if we added everyone that we know..., who will never drive!)
    Limiting the mileage might help.
  • purplestar133
    purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am currently insured with Endsleigh. After trekking through every single comparison site on Martin's list, Endsleigh tend to come second or third in the list of best quotes. The Post Office tends to be first. I haven't looked yet but, if last year is anything to go by, Endsleigh will probably have higher cashback on the cashback sites than the Post Office. So with cashback factored in, Endsleigh might be cheaper.

My question is, can I buy a new insurance policy from Endsleigh as if I'm a new customer although I'm not? The renewal quote they've given me is about £70 more than if I buy a new policy online.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I am currently insured with Endsleigh. After trekking through every single comparison site on Martin's list, Endsleigh tend to come second or third in the list of best quotes. The Post Office tends to be first. I haven't looked yet but, if last year is anything to go by, Endsleigh will probably have higher cashback on the cashback sites than the Post Office. So with cashback factored in, Endsleigh might be cheaper.

My question is, can I buy a new insurance policy from Endsleigh as if I'm a new customer although I'm not? The renewal quote they've given me is about £70 more than if I buy a new policy online.

Yes I've done this is the past. But it may not work in a cashback site scenario.

I'd be annoyed with Endsleigh if they were offering me a policy renewal for £70 more than online. I'd phone them and ask them why that is. I guess if you let the insurance lapse by one day, then technically you are a new customer!
  • Steve_xx wrote: »
    I guess if you let the insurance lapse by one day, then technically you are a new customer!
    You'd have to keep the car off the highway to get away with this...

Just beware: the government are going to make owning an uninsured car an offence, in the same way as not taxing (or SORN) your car is punishable by a fine.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You'd have to keep the car off the highway to get away with this...

Just beware: the government are going to make owning an uninsured car an offence, in the same way as not taxing (or SORN) your car is punishable by a fine.

Does it have to be insured to be parked on the highway, or, does it have to be insured only if it's driven?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure