Car Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• :mad: I have had the misfortune to have my Car Insurance with Budget. I paid in full as oppose to installments. Recently my car was written off due to mechanical problems with the engine. Thus I have had to buy a new car. Budget were not the best quote for my new car by a long way. I contacted Budget to cancel my policy and get a refund for the remaining amount of my Insurance which expired in August 2008. I was adviced that I had to pay a cancellation fee of £55 I thought this was very expensive but accepted that there would be a cancellation fee. I was then told I also had an early termination fee?????? This fee meant that I was actually owed nothing to be refunded to me. I asked how Budget could justify charging me two fees for the same thing and I was just given a standard answer and never an actually explanation of what the two fees covered. I argued that a cancellation fee is exactly the same as an early termination fee but they would not back down. Think very carefully about going with Budget and read the cancellation Policy is is shocking. This has cost me a lot of monay and I still do not agree with it. :mad:
  • RAC. The RAC* is giving new customers free RAC Roadside Cover or £20 discount and £35 cashback if you already have it's breakdown.

Hi got a quote from these guys for £18 cheaper (using the link above), however, when called their freephone number the guy had no information about the above cashback anyone have any more info. The RAC guy said to phone back as he would be interested and may be able to sort? Help???

Also, FYI, on a comprehensive policy the Third Party automatic insurance for you to drive someone else's car is apparently being phased out due to abuse by uninsured drivers, therefore, if you need to get emergency use cover phone them, sometimes they'll add it for that purpose!! FOC, depends on your individual track record me thinks.. Make sure you read the small print, it's excluded on some policies already!!
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Has anyone any experience, good or bad, with AIG for car insurance. They are looking like the company I will be insuring two cars with soon, but I can find any reviews or feedback.

I am more interested in how they handle claims than how much they cost.

Thanks.
  • inital renewal quote from tesco £323.
    followed martins advice best quote £168 paid in full for legal cover i used adrianflux.com who provided it for free
    I used a cash back site to purchase the insurance and they offered £45 back this is still in process but should be paid out soon . SO I have saved £155 and if you include the cash back i will have saved £200.
    Insurance is fully comp with protection and includes buiness use provided by swift cover.
    :j happy i would say i am
    steww
  • Hi to all
    Anyone now if you can get cheaper insurance for a import cos i'm paying over £500 a year for mine and every year it keeps on going up.
    Martin's method works for british car but not for imports.

adie

p.s. any help would be great
  • I'm with you on this one Adie, we have a Mazda Bongo import so if anyone has a list of insurance firms that will check imports great cos the comparrison sites just don't seem to recognise imports at all.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts:money:
  • rsharp
    rsharp Posts: 17 Forumite
    luci wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience, good or bad, with AIG for car insurance. They are looking like the company I will be insuring two cars with soon, but I can find any reviews or feedback.

I am more interested in how they handle claims than how much they cost.

Thanks.

I don't have experience of AIG but they quoted me with Fortis - other sites had already come up with Fortis several times all within a few £ of each other.

If you are going to go with AIG then do as I have done today...go to quidco.com and click through to AIG from there - £90 (ninety) cashback! :D I just hope the cashback tracks ok. Will update if I don't.

And I used my shiny new Capital One 4% cashback credit card so that's another £6 back! :D

Many thanks Martin for this excellent site.
    MSIQ = 158 :j
  • WOW! Thank you.
    Martin Lewis & his site just saved me £113.46 on my car insurance renewal. Down from £152.25, to an astounding £38.79. YES, not a typing error: £38.79 for 12 months!
    Following the website advice I found a reduction; from £152.25 (my VIRGIN policy renewal cost) to £92.96 (Post Office), & then P.O give a £50 cash back after a relatively negligible period, so resulting in a relatively paltry total of £42.96 for 12 months.
    I then wondered if I could do even better, so contacted the insurer (Post Office) direct online, making sure to 1st erasing all potential linking tracking “cookies“, etc (using freely available Ccleaner tool, etc), & price came back as even cheaper, at £88.79, saving an extra £4.17! To be honest I couldn’t quite believe the price (as saying goes, “if it looks too good to be true, it usually is!”); so I phoned the P.O about quote, their answering & service was excellent, & quote was confirmed correct. I think even the P.O receptionist was a little stunned by quote of £38.79 as I was left on hold a little while whilst I suspect she had it confirmed by superiors.
    Kind regards, Graham
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks rsharp. Quidco is the reason I am considering AIG. I almost went for Swift Cover until I found some really bad reviews on them so want something more reluable.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    shadyadie1 wrote: »
    Anyone now if you can get cheaper insurance for a import cos i'm paying over £500 a year for mine and every year it keeps on going up.
    Martin's method works for british car but not for imports.
    You have to use trial and error, but I have found that there are a few insurers who cover imports. I am currently using egg, who are charging less than £300 (I do have full NCB, though).
    koru
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport