Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 13th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    • 125Posts
    • 40Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    Beat way for privacy on windows
    • 13th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    Beat way for privacy on windows 13th Nov 19 at 9:32 AM
    Although Iím not on a main road, when people walk past my house they can see in my windows. I would like to keep my blinds open/let in light so Iím thinking of getting the windows frosted. https://www.purlfrost.com/frosted-window-film/

Iíve checked Amazon reviews and although they are mostly good, a few people have claimed itís shattered their window - but that would be due to the black Ďblack outí type.

Apart from planting some trees in front of the house - which will open a lot of problems, what else can I do? I just need/want the bottom glass covered, top is ok.
Page 2
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 15th Nov 19, 9:04 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    Are you sure people can see in?

Our house is right on the pavement so people walk past our living room window constantly.

When it is light outside the light reflects off the window so people can't see in unless they come right up to the window and peer in.

Every so often we catch people checking their hair / makeup etc. in the reflection on the window.

Once it gets darker outside and lights are on inside this changes so at that point we pull down the blinds.
    Originally posted by pramsay13
    Yes because when I walk to my house I can see in. I also donít like the idea of having to close the curtains/blinds constantly. I would like to keep them open when I go to bed.

I think plantation blinds might be a good idea!
    • greenface
    • By greenface 15th Nov 19, 8:28 PM
    • 4,577 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    greenface
    you could put a film on . If you don't feel confident to do that you could change the glass to a pattern . Satin glass gives a total frosted look . Ive done both sides satin on a bathroom right next to a bus stop and you cannot see in but it lets enough light through
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • markin
    • By markin 16th Nov 19, 8:22 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    markin
    Are you sure people can see in?

Our house is right on the pavement so people walk past our living room window constantly.

When it is light outside the light reflects off the window so people can't see in unless they come right up to the window and peer in.

Every so often we catch people checking their hair / makeup etc. in the reflection on the window.

Once it gets darker outside and lights are on inside this changes so at that point we pull down the blinds.
    Originally posted by pramsay13

Im sure they can see in on rainy days or the half hour before you put the lights on. Iv seen far to many things when people think they can't be seen to ever take a chance on it.
    Last edited by markin; 16-11-2019 at 8:25 AM.
    • Snuggles
    • By Snuggles 17th Nov 19, 2:00 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 1,284 Thanks
    Snuggles
    How about bottom up blinds? You can get the roller type, venetian, duo etc. Instead of being pulled down from the top of the window, you pull them up from the bottom, so you can choose how much of the lower part of the window you want to screen off, leaving the top part clear.

Someone in my street has the venetian type with quite wide slats, and they look extremely stylish and modern. At least you would then have flexibility rather than a permanently frosted bit of window.
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 19th Nov 19, 9:14 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    How about bottom up blinds? You can get the roller type, venetian, duo etc. Instead of being pulled down from the top of the window, you pull them up from the bottom, so you can choose how much of the lower part of the window you want to screen off, leaving the top part clear.

Someone in my street has the venetian type with quite wide slats, and they look extremely stylish and modern. At least you would then have flexibility rather than a permanently frosted bit of window.
    Originally posted by Snuggles
    Yes I will look into them!

I need to consider thick curtains as well to keep the heat in - if they do keep the heat in lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

388Posts Today

3,317Users online

Martin's Twitter