PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Spent £200 in Oxfam over a few weeks but got Coach and Rowallan bags, lots of Jaeger knitwear, Windsmoor BNWT lined linen trousers, Prada as new wool trousers, Katharine Hamnett, Murano heart pendant and much more. Basically re-stocked my wardrobe other than coats, undies and shoes. No cheap shops or department store stuff at all. Also picked up a Ermenegildo Zegna shirt for Mr Stepford for 19.99 :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Spent £200 in Oxfam over a few weeks but got Coach and Rowallan bags, lots of Jaeger knitwear, Windsmoor BNWT lined linen trousers, Prada as new wool trousers, Katharine Hamnett, Murano heart pendant and much more. Basically re-stocked my wardrobe other than coats, undies and shoes. No cheap shops or department store stuff at all. Also picked up a Ermenegildo Zegna shirt for Mr Stepford for 19.99 :)
    I have a Rowallan bag (bought from a charity shop years ago), it's lovely quality.
    I didn't know the brand when I bought it but thought it was a bargain - and Google proved me right. :)
  • MrsStepford
    Absolutely agree Pollycat, it's just such soft leather. I hadn't heard of them before either.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'd recognise quality clothing, but nothing with a designer tag. I doubt I've spent over £200 in chazzers in the past 12 months, despite multiple visits and purchases - including at least 100 books, plenty of clothes and a couple of bigger items (my Dri-Buddi and double clothes rail springs to mind).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MrsStepford
    I would agree that not all designer clothing is quality stuff. For example I bought a Nudie Jeans tshirt from ASOS and it didn't last a year. Charity shop don't always know fashion labels though. I've snapped up bargain shirts from Ermenegildo Zegna and New & Lingwood for the OH and seen Marks and Spencer Per Una at silly prices.

I'm decluttering and have sold four or five boxes of books to We Buy Books and have a huge box of books for Oxfam in hall at the moment and they've had two boxes of books already. I don't find great books in charity shops much :(
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'd recognise quality clothing, but nothing with a designer tag. I doubt I've spent over £200 in chazzers in the past 12 months, despite multiple visits and purchases - including at least 100 books, plenty of clothes and a couple of bigger items (my Dri-Buddi and double clothes rail springs to mind).
    You'd not get a Coach bag for £200 so if the quality is good, it's a great buy if you like it.
    Rowallan bags are cheaper but still good quality leather.

And I guess it depends which area you're doing your shopping in.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I have a Rowallan bag (bought from a charity shop years ago), it's lovely quality.
    I didn't know the brand when I bought it but thought it was a bargain - and Google proved me right. :)
    Absolutely agree Pollycat, it's just such soft leather. I hadn't heard of them before either.

Agree...Rowallan bags are beautiful! I bought one yonks ago from the Lakeland Leather shop in Northallerton, (in the sale, of course). Black silky soft leather, cross body messenger stylee - used constantly and looks as good as new still.

Yesterday found me in a pawsh part of town so had a squiz in the chazza shops there....OMG the prices!! Did find a lovely pure silk Monsoon dress in a very eye catching colourway of turquoise white and lavender though for £6.99. Sleeveless, scoopy neck and bias cut. Looks as if it may have been bought for a wedding or special occasion and only worn the once. Now have a dilemma as the dress is full length, (to the floor), and I am unlikely to be going to anything which would necessitate such a frock in the immediate future. I could shorten it which would make it more wearable but the hem would need to be rolled and hand stitched which would be a right old faff! Do I bother or do I wait for a suitable 'long frock' occasion? :o
  • Pollycat
    I would agree that not all designer clothing is quality stuff. For example I bought a Nudie Jeans tshirt from ASOS and it didn't last a year. Charity shop don't always know fashion labels though. I've snapped up bargain shirts from Ermenegildo Zegna and New & Lingwood for the OH and seen Marks and Spencer Per Una at silly prices.
    I wouldn't have classed ASOS as 'designer'.

I agree about some charity shops not knowing about labels.
    In my experience, it can often go the other way - they overprice what they think is a good brand.

One of my best bargains was a raincoat by Aigle:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    My latest bargain - that I had to leave on the rail and have a wander round to think about before going back in and buying - was an AIGLE trenchcoat/raincoat.
    I'd not heard of this make before but it really shouted 'quality' in the fabric and style.

It's brown check with the check being more shadow-y IYSWIM and has that extra bit across the shoulders at the back but it also comes under the arms and across the chest (sounds awful, but it looks great).
    It has a button-off hood that actually fits, the belt is held on with an extra piece of material that buttons off and the back split has a concealed button. Lots of small but lovely details.

It did cost £6.50 :eek: but the nearest I could find on their website (French company) was this one priced at £240:
    https://www.aigle.com/en_uk/attalea-44055.html
    f0101-1.jpg

but mine looks a lot more stylish and is just below the knee on me.

The label on the coat says it's made from MDT material which apparently is:
    I did a quick run-through of my wardrobe and decided which old coat was being outed to make way for it. :D

Bargain even at that price? What do you think?

I also bought a paste 'diamond' brooch, inch-square cushion shape, to go on this cardi/jacket:

from the same shop (Hospice) for £1.00
  • MrsStepford
    I'd keep it as is, long Mrs Stepford style dresses are trendy this summer :D Saves pfaffing about sewing too !

Aigle is known in equestrian circles, they make upmarket rubber riding boots as well as riding gear. Love that coat !

ASOS isn't designer, no. Nudie Jeans is a Swedish eco-friendly label which is sold at Selfridges. I saved about £20 IIRC buying the tshirt at ASOS.

Coach bag came from the Oxfam shop in Marylebone.
  • Pollycat
    I'd keep it as is, long Mrs Stepford style dresses are trendy this summer :D Saves pfaffing about sewing too !
    +1 to this ^^^^

It sounds too nice to alter, I know you're capable of doing it but pop it in the back of your wardrobe and wait for the right occasion. ;)

£6.99 is a pretty good price for a Monsoon dress, let alone a 100% silk one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure