Car Parked over dropped kerb blocking home owners car in

Options

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    If it's devolved parking enforcement (which it most probably is, police rarely want to do parking tickets these days) then it is up to the council to tow not the police. The PCSO will be of little help as they will have no power to do anything.

The council can do what most other councils do and get a local recovery company with a secure yard to tow it.

Causing obstruction is one of the matters which is not devolved to the council, it's still the job of the police
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another option is Jack it up and drop it on 4 canteen trays, this I believe should help moving it.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So it transpired that the PO was economic with the truth, I've just checked with ASKMID and the vehicle has no road tax as of the end of May, so I've now reported it for that! in the hopes that this gets it moved a lot quicker for them.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So it transpired that the PO was economic with the truth, I've just checked with ASKMID and the vehicle has no road tax as of the end of May, so I've now reported it for that! in the hopes that this gets it moved a lot quicker for them.

Are you sure it was ASKMID? That's the insurance database. If it was and there is no insurance the police should tow it.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    sorry, yes your correct waamo, it wasn't ASKMID, it was the https://www.gov.uk - I did check that it was insured as well and it is at the moment!
    Fibro-Warrior
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am intrigued by this one!

Just out of interest, was there anywhere else to park when it appeared there yesterday?

Do you live near a railway station or airport? Could it be one of those meet and greet companies that have just left it.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That is not correct. It is illegal to block someone in by parking on a dropped curb and the police are obliged to find the owner and get them to move it or have it towed away. I have a dropped curb and called police three times and each time they dealt with it.

Note however that it only applies if your car is blocked in on your driveway. If you come back and find someone parked over the driveway apparently that's just tough.
    Go on then why must a PCSO do that and under what powers than they do it?

Would this cover the illegal parking part of it??
    Penalty for wilful obstruction.
    (1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IX/crossheading/obstruction-of-highways-and-streets
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    Options
    They aren't obstructing the highway though.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They aren't obstructing the highway though.
    Obstructing access to the highway.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Power to move it after conviction at court. Need to find the driver first.

It's an Unnecessary Obstruction as it stands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure