Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell hotel staff the vending machine is dispensing free snacks?

Options
124»

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Obviously the MSE team were never taught to recognise scarcasm........

Not sure about that, given the beer icon...
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I feel bad enough when the vending machine at my work dispenses two packets of crisps at once... I can't bring myself to take both even though I end up just leaving them there for someone else. So I can't even begin to imagine actively rinsing someone of their crisps.

Sure it's a quid or whatever, but it's the principle, and I'm generally a bit suspicious of people who will take anything that isn't nailed down.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • charmin
    Options
    In one of the Jurassic park films, they find a snack machine, break it open and steal the contents...tut tut, they should have found the dismembered body of the receptionist and put a few dollars in her pocket I think.... or let the dinosaurs have the crisps at least....
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    Comparisons to walking into a shop and taking something without paying for it, don't really make sense.

The OP, be they real or not, isn't sneakily sticking their hand up inside the machine to nick something. She or he is pressing buttons, and the machine is dispensing treats in return.
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's probably a pyschology experiment with hidden cameras to see what people actually do comapred with what they say they'd do.

At least, if I were a psychology researcher, it's the kind of experiment I'd do! (If I were an evil psychology researcher I'd also coat the crisps in a powerful laxative and then make sure there was no loo roll in the hotel rooms).
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slow day at the MSE office
  • sweetflan
    Options
    The hotel probably doesnt own the machine. If you want crisps just take them, not your problem if you try but you cant pay. Someone should fix the machine or obviously they just don't care, so why should you!!!
    Enjoy your holiday...
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    Free crisps?

Where is this hotel, exactly?
    With love, POSR <3
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    People keep saying this thread is pointless but keep commenting on what they class as a pointless thread

Ironic
    With love, POSR <3
  • leviathan
    Options
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    Recently it's had an 'out of order' sign, but when I last stayed, I spotted some other guests using it. When I tried it out, I got a free pack of crisps. So the machine is working... it's just not asking for any money before dispensing items. Should I tell hotel staff?

Marked out of order but still plugged in. hmmmm

Sounds like a convenient construct to manufacture a moral dilemia question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure