Rambling on...

Comments

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Thank you missus :D

I think I may still get an invite from friends for Christmas, so I'm not too worried about it.
    I have good friends that know my situation ;)
    :A
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • I’m sure you will get an invite Uncanny.

It’ll be a bit odd for me this year as It will be the first time I will not be spending Xmas with DD as she and her OH will be away then plus the New Year as well. I’ll be at DSis’s for Xmas but I will still miss DD like anything.....:(
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • helsbell
    helsbell Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm still trying to pin people down for Christmas. The ex won't let on when he's working (he does shifts), so I might follow a friend's lead and just tell him when he can have the girls :p

Mum and dad are supposed to be coming down but they're being very difficult about fixing actual dates - a combination of dad's health and trying to book trains. I understand why it's hard but I'm worried that they'll end up not coming, and I'm a bit like Hidden - not Christmas' biggest fan.
    SPC 11, No. 062 DFD November 2020 :(
    Aug 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 MBNA £0 Total: £6093.42
    Aug 2018 B'Card £995.06 BoS £863.43 MBNA £3,644.98 Total: £5503.47
    9.68% paid off
  • UncannyScot
    Evening folks :D

What a busy wee day it has been...
    I had taken a holiday for today to help out my wee mam with some things and I'm not long back home.
    Was busier if not as busy as I would have been at work :eek:

It's was great to be able to do so much for her today though, a day well spent :D

I'm having a bit of a de-clutter clear out this week / weekend and will have quite a bit of stuff to go to charity shop... I recycle via charity shops tbh :rotfl: most of the stuff I'm clearing out originally came from various charity shops. Hopefully someone else can get good use out of the various items I'm taking in.

Hope you've all had good days today folks
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • I love Christmas :D. We usually get invited to my parents house, I don't think they like our cooking :rotfl: no it's actually because my mum needs a downstairs toilet and we don't have one.

I hope you find someone to share Christmas with US, I'm sure you will :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • UncannyScot
    Morning Folks :D

Yet another busy day ahead...

I will soon be looking to sort out my multi-media provision (again)...
    Virgin have raised prices and I am nearing end of my current deal with them. I'm currently on a package at @£35 pm, which will rise to @£50 pm when deal ends...
    I have compared with their closest competitor (SKY) and can get a similar deal for £40 pm for 12/18 months, rising to £50 when deal ends. OK the broadband provision (17 Mbs) is not as good as with Virgin (50 Mbs), however all the TV that I watch is in there, plus Sky Atlantic (for GoT) and basic home phone provision too...
    Will do what I have done before and call Virgin "retention" department and see what they can counter with.
    A mate has suggested switching to SKY for the year and then switching back to Virgin again OR getting one of "them boxes that you plug in an get it all for free thingies"... :huh: I think he means an Android box???
    Know's a bloke that can get one for 40 quid...asked him if it is one of Kevin Bridges mates :rotfl:

Anyway, anyone else done the haggle with Virgin yet and if so, how'd you get on...
    BTW, I've read through the MSE tips on it and it's pretty much how I've done it in the past.

Hope you all have a grand day, whatever you're up too
    Will be back on this evening, as usual.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • UncannyScot
    Evening Folks :D

Been looking at the options in detail for Multi-media...

V (Mix)
    100 Mb/s Broadband... speeds vary...
    150 Channel TV (Inc. Fox (TWD), Dave, Gold & Sky Arts...)
    Home Phone
    £46 for 12 months then £55 thereafter (new customer deal... no idea what it would be for a long existing customer haggling over it ;) )

S (Original)
    17 Mb/s Broadband unlimited... they claim consistent service speeds...
    290+ TV Channels (desired channels, plus Sky Atlantic for GoT ;)
    Home Phone
    £40 per month for 12 or 18 months and then £50.99 thereafter...

Hmmm, tempted to go for the Sky option as it does overall seem the best offer atm. Plus, once you have a dish installed you can switch between V and S depending on who is offering best deals at end of term... or get a £40 box thingy from Dodgy Dave ;) :rotfl:
    If V counter with a similar price offer tho I may stay... it's a very tight decision.

Like most folks I want the best deal for not a lot of money...

Hope your day has been good
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • UncannyScot
    Hmm, mate has suggested looking at splitting service between the two :undecided

Broadband / Phone with V and TV with S...

Unfortunately, it is not a good idea as far as reducing or maintaining current costs goes...
    Ah well, couple of weeks before I need to haggle it out anyway :D
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • I had nothing but trouble with S internet, plus as soon as the weather is bad the tv would go off for hours at a time! Even in the rain :cool:

I have the Mix V bundle.. with £5 discount because of the price increase. I think it's £39ish a month my bill.

I can only haggle so much as I wouldn't want them to say okay we'll cancel because I don't want to end up going to S :rotfl:
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    We moved from Sky to Virgin a few years ago as every time the wind blows the Sky signal disappears in our area. Have haggled the V price down a couple of times with the retention dept. Having said that, we mainly watch Freeview.

I love the build up to Christmas but the day itself is pretty boring for us. No one ever comes to visit and we never get invited anywhere. I usually end up taking the dog for a long walk. The Christmas just before Mr SA got ill we took the dog to the coast on Christmas Day and walked on the beach. It was a great day, we took a picnic and really enjoyed it. We don't have a Christmas dinner either, we often have curry. I'd love to have a more traditional day but it's not to be. So I can totally understand your situation.

If it comes to it, and you end up on your own, put your feet up with a beer, enjoy watching TV and chat to your MSE friends :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure