No Deal Brexit and Savings

Comments

• donmaico
    donmaico Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You forgot your sarcastic smiley icon. even the most ardent remainers cannot claim that the EU is some bastion of democracy.

neither is the UK. Ironically the way MEPs are elected is far more democratic than the way we elect our own MPs.
    I suspect the EU is as democratic as it could possibly be given its status as a multi-nation conglomerate. Personally, I would be far more concerned about any rise of nationalism across the continent than the ill-conceived perception that the EU is undemocratic.
    Argentine by birth,English by nature
  • donmaico
    donmaico Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Presumably Rees Mogg is wealthy enough to buy a visa for just about any country in the world, this is in stark contrast to 99% of the UK population who'll soon lose Freedom to settle in 27 EU countries
    Rees Mogg could not a give rat's *rse how his vision of Brexit would affect us all. He is an anarcho-Thatcherite who is well aware there will be "wonderful opportunities" for the likes of him to make a lot of money from distressed assets. He also reckons that what's good enough for India must be good enough for us when it comes to safety standards. I detest him as much as I detest that other self regarding dork - Bojo
    Argentine by birth,English by nature
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Recent events in Turkey should be a salutary lesson for the UK. Turkey is an "independent" country and NATO member, nonetheless it's getting bullied by the US with their economy now in a death spiral
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 7:00PM
    And likewise if Janice ends up on the dole after her factory moves from Sunderland to the EU or has to put in 60 hour weeks thanks to loss of employee rights.... I won't give a crap about her plight...

Is that why BMW is investing millions into a battery plant in China. To protect employee rights? You are two decades behind the curve. Even Trump is aware of the dangers posed. The world continues to change rapidly. In or out. There's no guarantees. As profit is the driver of commercial organisations. On which you rely for your dividends.
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 8:31PM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Is that why BMW is investing millions into a battery plant in China.

Think you've got that story completely back to front.

A Chinese company called CATL is building a factory in Germany to produce batteries for BMW - Don't think Janice from Sunderland need apply though - she'll need a visa to work in Garmany unless she's lucky enough to have an Irish grandparent. Meanwhile her fate will be decided in Tokyo...
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sparkey1 wrote: »
    I saw mention of Euros earlier in thuis thread. Again, a no deal Brexit is worse for for the Euro, so why would you want to see the euro fall against the £ and lose more money.

The EU is a huge proportion of our export market. We, although one of the larger EU countries, are only one country and represent a much smaller proportion of their exports. Look at it the other way round - if we were having a spainexit or an italexit, would you really care?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • ruthcain1
    ruthcain1 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I wish I HAD bought some euros 2 weeks ago. Was lulled into a false sense of (vague) security by certain people on here saying the risk of no deal was already built into the fall of the pound in July 2016.

A coffee in Denmark just cost me nearly a fiver. Cheers Brexiters :D

Appears that was totally wrong, then. I see that even the Daily Express is now taking on a panicky tone about the fall of plucky old sterling.

I suspect no one in the international financial community thought we could be stupid enough to ACTUALLY throw ourselves off the cliff we are now rushing toward with such alacrity.

Meanwhile on the Old Style boards people are talking about how they survived the war and the Winter of Discontent and by Jove they will survive Brexit too.

Won't it be fun! Just like the war! You know, the one we are not currently fighting.

Anyway. I'm now definitely thinking of opening up an account with euros in it as I think I want to be out of the UK at brexit time and the way things are going the pound will be worth 60 euro cents by then.
  • ruthcain1 wrote: »
    Anyway. I'm now definitely thinking of opening up an account with euros in it as I think I want to be out of the UK at brexit time and the way things are going the pound will be worth 60 euro cents by then.

Don't forget @ruthcain1, no one on this forum (or in the papers) can really tell what will happen at Brexit (deal or no deal). They may have an opinion but that's all.

My own homespun view (which I've said before) is that the EU (as an administrative body) has to make our economy worse on leaving in order to justify its continued existence. If we come out in an immediately better position, then citizens of other net-contributing EU states are going to say, 'hang on a sec, why are we bothering to stay in when it is clearly better to be out'.

On the subject of leaving the UK are you a national of another EU country, or from somewhere outside Europe? The reason I ask is because things may not be so straightforward for UK nationals living in Europe post Brexit as they are at the moment.

As for coffee in Denmark, take a Thermos next time, unless flying, in which case a small jar of instant and ask for hot water in the cafes:)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I wish I HAD bought some euros 2 weeks ago. Was lulled into a false sense of (vague) security by certain people on here saying the risk of no deal was already built into the fall of the pound in July 2016.

The movement in Sterling is just normal activity. Sterling has floated between 1.08 and 1.15 over the last year. It's currently 1.12. This time last year, it hit a 7 year low (excluding the flash crash).
    Appears that was totally wrong, then. I see that even the Daily Express is now taking on a panicky tone about the fall of plucky old sterling.

The Daily Express takes panicky tone about everything. They are very good at finding their target market reader. Relatively low IQ. Easy to take offence about anything, Lives to panic at everything. Every paper has its target market and the writing style of that paper reflects that. You should never rely on the Express for your news.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ruthcain1 wrote: »

You mean physically out of the UK or just your money out of the UK?

Being physically out of the UK but trying to live within the EU after Brexit may not be so easy - you'll no longer have a right of residence there. Unless you have some other EU citizenship.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure