Electric cars

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hi. I think that might be the problem. Tesla has the large luxury saloon segment sewed up as top dog.
    It does now... As Adrian pointed out above - if Jaguar bring out an electric XJ, Audi an electric S6 or S8, MB an electric E-class and S-class then it changes - those marques have a loyal customer base to tap into. Electric Lexus and Infiiniti will probably arrive first. In fact, my mind is wondering when BMW will take what they have learned so far to produce an electric 2-series, 3-series and 5-series.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 1:56PM
    almillar wrote: »
    First off, you don't rapid charge to 100% unless absolutely necessary, it's literally a waste of time. Rapid charging figures are often quoted to 80%, because it slows down above that. So yes, plug in, stretch legs, pee etc WHILST CHARGING will give you a solid 50% charge.
    But I can fill my petrol tank to 100% and the last 20% takes approximately the same time as the first 20%. If I fill it to 50% or 80% I might save a minute but then I don't get as much range. So not a like-for-like comparison.
    But just get this 100% out of your head, it's rarely necessary or practical.
    Which was the point - it isn't currently practical and the effective range is reduced as a result. For the sequence of short urban journeys then a shorter top-up to 50% or an overnight charge once or twice a week probably does work.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How about keeping a little petrol powered generator in the boot? Would that be feasible?
    The Beamer range extender model has that and it qualifies for full EV London congestion concessions - pennies parking & no congestion charge. It's looking like the top choice for well heeled Londoners.

You might consider it a case (a first in London?) where the rich get privileged access to public resources.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 3:25PM
    NBLondon wrote: »
    It does now... As Adrian pointed out above - if Jaguar bring out an electric XJ, Audi an electric S6 or S8, MB an electric E-class and S-class then it changes - those marques have a loyal customer base to tap into. Electric Lexus and Infiiniti will probably arrive first. In fact, my mind is wondering when BMW will take what they have learned so far to produce an electric 2-series, 3-series and 5-series.

But all the cars you've mentioned are EV's, not ICE's, and I can't see any of them producing a better ICE car given that Tesla has already 'stolen' the loyal customer base. So the segment looks like it's safely EV now.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    Which was the point - it isn't currently practical and the effective range is reduced as a result. For the sequence of short urban journeys then a shorter top-up to 50% or an overnight charge once or twice a week probably does work.

Which is why most of the discussions, examples, articles etc use the 80% figure as a guide.
    The range requirement of more than 80% of all drivers is, therefore, only 180 miles, as 150 miles plus 20% is 180 miles.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    The Beamer range extender model has that and it qualifies for full EV London congestion concessions - pennies parking & no congestion charge. It's looking like the top choice for well heeled Londoners.

You might consider it a case (a first in London?) where the rich get privileged access to public resources.

That changes in 2 years, all PHEVs including the i3 Rex are being removed from Congestion Charge exemption then, with it being Battery only cars exempted till the end of 2025 when it will be reviews again but at the moment there looks like no cars being exempted after 2025

The rex i3 already does not quaify for discount parking and some other EV benefits in certain cities. as the regulators wake up to PHEVs only being a tax dodge.

Shame as the i3 Rex is the only not fully battery car that can do over 100 miles on battery alone, pity its being tarred with the same stick
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    almillar wrote: »
    As AdrianC says, i3 REx (Range Extender) has, basically, a motorbike engine that charges the battery. If you go DIY, it'll be very inefficient to run one that a 3 pin plug would go into.

In the interests of keeping it honest, it was actually Zeupater who advised AdrianC about small range extender engines, back when the idea of a trailer + generator was innocently suggested almost exactly a year ago by Herzlos, and drew ridicule from 'the experts'.

AdrianC 'advised' us on the gargantuan scale that said generator would need. Pretty pics were even provided.
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Technical question (rhetorical .. ;)) .... how exactly did they shoehorn a generator with 50% more capacity under the bonnet of an Ampera then?

• NBLondon
    Forumite
    But all the cars you've mentioned are EV's, not ICE's, and I can't see any of them producing a better ICE car given that Tesla has already 'stolen' the loyal customer base. So the segment looks like it's safely EV now.
    Are you sure you mean that Martyn? You are apparently claiming that nobody but Tesla can ever sell a large luxury electric car (presumably because the Model S is so fantastic...)

If Mercedes get their act together and produce a electric S-class then they have an existing loyal customer base (who currently have ICE S-classes) who haven't bought Tesla's but might buy a Mercedes EV. As Adrian hinted above - an Electric E-class could do very well in the likes of the limousine hire business - to replace the current "Eco" diesels. I'm specifically choosing MB here because of the more traditionalist buyer - I'd guess BMW or Audi drivers would be slightly more likely to jump ship.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In the interests of keeping it honest, it was actually Zeupater who advised AdrianC about small range extender engines, back when the idea of a trailer + generator was innocently suggested almost exactly a year ago by Herzlos, and drew ridicule from 'the experts'.

AdrianC 'advised' us on the gargantuan scale that said generator would need. Pretty pics were even provided.
    And as if by magic ...

.... Z enters stage left, blows a triumphal raspberry, takes a bow & exits stage right ... :D
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 6:10AM
    Are you sure you mean that Martyn? You are apparently claiming that nobody but Tesla can ever sell a large luxury electric car (presumably because the Model S is so fantastic...)

I don't think you understand what was being discussed!

Tesla have already 'electrified' that segment, if the companies you mention sell EV's into that segment as well as, or instead of Tesla, then the segment remains electrified. So Job done, yes?

So yes, I'm sure I mean/meant exactly what I said:

Nowhere did I say nor suggest that other EV manufacturers can't sell into that segment. #EV's v's ICE's.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback