Pay off mortgage or invest?

Options
Hi, looking for advice. We currently have a mortgage of just over £100k with 16 years remaining which this month is going onto a follow on rate of 3.79%, so no early redemption penalties if we were to pay it off. We don't have plans to move currently.

We are shortly going to have a gift of £100k from my father and my question is, should we pay off the mortgage or invest? Wife and I are both higher rate taxpayers if that makes any difference. Perhaps we'd be better off saving into our pensions?

If we were to pay it off, we'd aim to cumulatively invest what we'd previously been paying on our mortage, plus a little bit more, with 20-25 years until retirement.

All advice welcomed.

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on what are you planning to invest in. Do you have (or plan to have) kids?

1.5-2% mortgage interest rates makes it almost criminal not to take advantage while they last, on the other hand most low risk investments barely yield more than that.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wife and I are both higher rate taxpayers if that makes any difference.

Makes a big difference to your retirement planning. 40% relief on pension contribution (and returns on a typical investment spread would be double the mortgage). So, from a financial point of view, pensions blow the overpayments out of the water.

However, that is only in isolation of one bit of info. Other options could apply.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    3.79% is a relatively high mortgage rate these days so I think I would use at least some of the £100k to repay the mortgage. I think I would then redirect what you were paying in mortgage repayments towards your pension as you higher rate taxpayers with maybe investing part of the £100k by using AVCs or opening SIPPS and making monthly payments into that.

Do you have a decent emergency savings account and are you intending to have children?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How secure is your employment? All factors should be considered before making a decision. If speading the inheritance between different pots might be the way to go. Reduce mortgage, increase pension, increase short term savings, enjoy life a little............
  • Kitteridge
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll try to answer some of your further queries below if that helps:

Depends on what are you planning to invest in. Do you have (or plan to have) kids?

I was thinking about stocks/bonds - complete novice, but understand that long-term, this averages ~6-7% return. We have two young kids and won't be having any more.

Being higher rate taxpayers...makes a big difference to your retirement planning. 40% relief on pension contribution (and returns on a typical investment spread would be double the mortgage). So, from a financial point of view, pensions blow the overpayments out of the water.

However, that is only in isolation of one bit of info. Other options could apply.

We are both public sector, employees, one NHS, one University.

3.79% is a relatively high mortgage rate these days so I think I would use at least some of the £100k to repay the mortgage. I think I would then redirect what you were paying in mortgage repayments towards your pension as you higher rate taxpayers with maybe investing part of the £100k by using AVCs or opening SIPPS and making monthly payments into that.

We'll park the mortgage on this rate until we decide how much (if any) we'll pay off, and can then get a better rate. I guess psychologically it's good to outright own your house, but need to put that to one side and make a pragmatic choice.

Do you have a decent emergency savings account and are you intending to have children?

Yes, 2 young kids, and yes, we do have emergency savings.

How secure is your employment? All factors should be considered before making a decision. If speading the inheritance between different pots might be the way to go. Reduce mortgage, increase pension, increase short term savings, enjoy life a little............

Both on permanent contracts, as secure as these things can be I guess.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kitteridge wrote: »
    Both on permanent contracts, as secure as these things can be I guess.
    [/FONT]

Better than most. I'd say take your time then. There's no immediate rush. It's a life changing amount of money that you will want to the most with.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What does your father expect you to do with the money?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure