RBS and Natwest-what's the deal?

Was wondering what exactly is the relationship between RBS and Natwest. I hear they are 'sister banks'. But what does this mean?

I know they don't share the FSCS deposit guarantee the same way HSBC and First Direct does. Yet, for something like the current account switch incentive, if you've received the Natwest incentive (between October 2017 and May 2018) you cannot apply for the RBS incentive.

Is it the same as if you go out with one sister, it's not nice to go out with the other one anytime soon?

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The Royal Bank of Scotland Group owns both, RBS Bank and Natwest Bank. More info if you need it via Google.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 8 June 2018 at 12:56PM
    colsten wrote: »
    The Royal Bank of Scotland Group owns both, RBS Bank and Natwest Bank. More info if you need it via Google.

According to one of the links I posted on the OP, RBS is listed under RBS and natwest is listed under natwest, so it seemed neither bank was 'owned' by anyone as such. There was just a note under Couttes & Co to say 'Please note that RBS subsidiaries NatWest, Ulster Bank and Coutts all have their own, separate banking licences and are not covered by the RBS licence....'

This source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Bank_of_Scotland
    says the owner of Royal Bank of Scotland is Natwest Holdings:

wiki-rbs-owned_by_Natwest_holdings.png

If I search the companies house register for 'natwest markets plc', then 'THE ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY' comes up for previous company names (effective period 30 Sep 1985 - 29 Apr 2018)

Accroding to this: https://www.rbs.com/rbs/news/2018/04/the-royal-bank-of-scotland-group-plc--ring-fencing-transfer-sche.html
    Adam & Company PLC ("former Adam & Company") has been renamed "The Royal Bank of Scotland plc", and The Royal Bank of Scotland plc ("former RBS plc") has been renamed "NatWest Markets Plc" ("NatWest Markets").
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]RBS mounted a successful hostile takeover of NatWest in 2000.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]RBS was a small Scottish bank at the time so it was quite cheeky, but that was Fred Goodwin for you. [/FONT]
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    For anyone looking for definitive information about RBS Group then its own website is always likely to be a better bet than the likes of Wikipedia and lovemoney.com! The corporate structure is shown at https://investors.rbs.com/fixed-income-investors/company-legal-structure.aspx

legeal-entity-structure-updated.jpg

As posted above, there's been some shuffling of legal entities in the context of the ring-fencing but fundamentally The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc remains at the top of the pile as ultimate owner/parent, while The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and National Westminster Bank plc are peers (with their own banking licences), with a couple of interim holding companies between them and topco.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 June 2018 at 1:21PM
    OceanSound wrote: »
    According to one of the links I posted on the OP, RBS is listed under RBS and natwest is listed under natwest, so it seemed neither bank was 'owned' by anyone as such. There was just a note under Couttes & Co to say 'Please note that RBS subsidiaries NatWest, Ulster Bank and Coutts all have their own, separate banking licences and are not covered by the RBS licence....'
    I am not sure what you are saying here.

The RBS Group owns RBS and NatWest and others. This is quite separate from the banking licence issue.
  • OceanSound
    eskbanker wrote: »
    For anyone looking for definitive information about RBS Group then its own website is always likely to be a better bet than the likes of Wikipedia and lovemoney.com!....
    Google is not always your friend.
    I think the diagram you posted explains it much clearer than trying to figure it out using the FCA register or the companies house register (which are of course reliable sources.e.g. THE ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND PUBLIC LIMITED COMPANY came up as a previous name for Natwest Markets). What I'm saying is, I guess a picture does say a 1000 words sometimes.
  • OceanSound
    RG2015 wrote: »
    ....This is quite separate from the banking licence issue.
    Perhaps the article link I posted titled 'Who owns your bank or building society?' should have said this (made this clear). Not bang on about 'who owns who'

BTW: I'm just the messenger.....
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Perhaps the article link I posted titled 'Who owns your bank or building society?' should have said this (made this clear). Not bang on about 'who owns who'

I understand. I hadn’t realised that you were just following the headline from the Love Money article.

It is though very sloppy reporting as equating bank ownership and banking licences is a non sequitur.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

But who asked you to be the messenger in the first place? TBH, I don't really understand why you started this thread at all. Is there something sensible that you want an answer to rather than a facetious question about sisters? If there is then you'll find that there are people here with a lot of knowledge about the history of RBSG.
  • realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    OMG went out with two sisters once (not at the same time, I'm not that weird). Not recommended.
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport