Web host recommendation required

Not asking for a friend but asking for my Mum; :rotfl:

She is setting up a small business but is clueless when it comes to websites (as I am).

She wants a web host and server supplier that has a web site builder for her to build her own web site with the ability to edit, probably with a link to E Bay and a shopping basket. She has looked at EKM as they have all these and more but she has never heard of them. Go Daddy looks good to her as this is where she has already purchased the domain name from and e mail address, but someone said they keep adding stuff on to inflate the price.

Basically she has already bought a domain name and email address and now wants a web host and website creator, any recommendations or advice please?
If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If your Mum plans to do her own design and build, then all the major hosting companies have the necessary template based development and/or Wordpress, together with apps for shopping baskets.

These range from the free operators (such as 000Web hosting - now owned by Hostinger, who I've found very reliable), through cheap providers where you'll get a little more support (FreeVirtualServers are good @ £4pm).
  • deskhelp
    deskhelp Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    For basic level Hosting you can try https://www.webhost.uk.net/web-hosting.html pretty affordable and support is really helpful. For a beginner you do require proper support is what I feel, so better go for paid hosting with good support.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    fwiw I've been quite satisafied with TSOHost as they're well priced, and have decent support by instant messenger.
  • I've used the 1&1 web builder service and wouldn't recommend that - It was actually someone else who had purchased the package and couldn't figure it out. It was a little buggy and some parts of the site wouldn't work in different browsers which, made set up more complicated.

We did get something set up that looked fine in the end but for the time involved and the on-going monthly fees I feel it would've been better, and ultimately cheaper, to get something made by a professional.

I've not had great experiences with GoDaddy. Have had both billing and hosting issues and found their customer service to be pretty awful when you need to contact them.
  • Sorry. I've just seen I've replied to a thread bumped by a spammer :/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport