PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have never used shower gel but I agree with you ivy. Last year I took an excema reaction which is apparently common after a bereavement. We stopped using bubble bath which at first was just odd and horrible lying in our weekly bath treat but without bubbles. The other week we decided to try using it again and independently we both felt slimy and yucky after the bath. I really hadn't noticed before the layer of 'product' for want of a better word, that was left on our skin. And we always had a sploosh down with the shower after the bath to wash off lingering bubbles so i wold have thought that wold have cleaned it off. That must all be getting gunged off on the towel afterward. Yucky yuck. We have gone back to just plain water again.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I have a small Tale from the Homestead for you tonight.

The family home is busily shedding a considerable quantity of books, the fallout from the mahoosive sort-out yours truly did over Crimble. Many many bagfuls have left, being trickle-fed into the hometown chazzers and also the city chazzers (some came home with me).

Anyway, today is the day the folks go over to the bigger market town and they typically take some things for the chazzer over there. My old dad (bless him) was using a four-wheeled shopping trolley to transport a lot of books across the carpark when one of the wheels got trapped in a hole, the trolley came to a dead stop and he carried on going, right over the top!

He's a pretty fit late-seventy-something and mostly bounced, but a few books flew out and had to be rounded up. Dad was unhurt and we all had a chuckle, but there was the thought at the back of my mind that how easily it could have been a nasty fall, broken wrist etc.

Clutter tried to getcha, I'm sure of it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ah, the clutter fights back! Hope he's ok and hasn't put them off sorting out.

I changed from shower gel to soap years ago, there's nothing more unweildy than a new bar of soap! DD worked for a few years for an up-market candle/soap shop and got me many, many bars of lovely soaps all at discount prices, I'm sure I'll never get to use it all.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I just prepped a bag of books to take to a chazzer after work tomorrow, when I will be running a few errands in that part of town. I thought I'd take a certain number but, when I got down to bagging them up, only six can be carried easily. These are large format hardcovers and weigh the best part of a kilo each.

Once I have un-shopped them from my bag, I shall appreciate the lightening of the load.

I don't think the parents will be put off decluttering, things have reached a critical mass of clutter at their home and it's a classic target rich environment, I could have a full-time job decluttering there.

In fact, if they don't declutter considerably before passing from this mortal coil, I will have a full-time job decluttering over there. An hour away from home and whilst still having to work for a living, it'll be a dreadful experience, never mind the bereavements.

On a slight tangent, has anyone else read The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning? I got it from the library and it's rather good, a slender and thoughtful volume, not at all morbid.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks again for the new thread. I have always used soap bars, but have found it harder to find ones I like as more people move to the liquid soap. I am still using up a lifetime supply of bubble bath that mum bought and didn't like using, so passed to me when I helped her move. I am using it as hand wash for the builders so it seems to be used relatively quickly!

A thought on surroundings. We are living in temporary accommodation while our house gets some essentials -roof, Windows, a safe electrical supply, and when we moved here life was very busy and boxes were dumped anywhere, piled up in any space, and I hated, really hated being here, but didn't know what to do. My wonderful best friend visited a couple of weeks ago, and took charge in reorganising things,I now have a lounge area, most of a spare room and a kitchen without boxes, it's made a fantastic difference, and I actually found myself saying I was going 'home' the other day. I am also far less stressed. No boxes were unpacked but it's more spacious. We also identified 3/4 boxes of odds and ends for me to sort and make choices about, which means I feel back in control of the clutter.
    S x
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • VJsmum wrote: »
    I have 4 bags for the chazzer sat on the floor of the kitchen. Tonight they are going in the boot to deliver tomorrow. I have had them in one spot or another for about 2 months...:eek:

VJsmum, glad it isn't just me hoarding bags of items I've already 'discarded'.

I separated the bag of charity clothes, which are now by the front door. I beat my 5 items for sale and listed 15, and one sold this morning. Taking it as a sign that I should crack on and clear some more. Papers today and I'm going to list the books I cleared yesterday.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • daisy_1571 wrote: »
    We have never used shower gel but I agree with you ivy. Last year I took an excema reaction which is apparently common after a bereavement. We stopped using bubble bath which at first was just odd and horrible lying in our weekly bath treat but without bubbles. The other week we decided to try using it again and independently we both felt slimy and yucky after the bath. I really hadn't noticed before the layer of 'product' for want of a better word, that was left on our skin. And we always had a sploosh down with the shower after the bath to wash off lingering bubbles so i wold have thought that wold have cleaned it off. That must all be getting gunged off on the towel afterward. Yucky yuck. We have gone back to just plain water again.

Daisy xx

I used up the last of our shower gel the other day and we are just using a tiny squirt of Dr Bronner's and so far it has been good.
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    On a slight tangent, has anyone else read The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning? I got it from the library and it's rather good, a slender and thoughtful volume, not at all morbid.

I haven't read it, but I have seen it being discussed on YouTube videos. The Messy Minimalist was one of them.
  • daisy_1571
    iamsalt wrote: »
    Thanks again for the new thread. I have always used soap bars, but have found it harder to find ones I like as more people move to the liquid soap. I am still using up a lifetime supply of bubble bath that mum bought and didn't like using, so passed to me when I helped her move. I am using it as hand wash for the builders so it seems to be used relatively quickly!

A thought on surroundings. We are living in temporary accommodation while our house gets some essentials -roof, Windows, a safe electrical supply, and when we moved here life was very busy and boxes were dumped anywhere, piled up in any space, and I hated, really hated being here, but didn't know what to do. My wonderful best friend visited a couple of weeks ago, and took charge in reorganising things,I now have a lounge area, most of a spare room and a kitchen without boxes, it's made a fantastic difference, and I actually found myself saying I was going 'home' the other day. I am also far less stressed. No boxes were unpacked but it's more spacious. We also identified 3/4 boxes of odds and ends for me to sort and make choices about, which means I feel back in control of the clutter.
    S x

What a wonderful friend, I love friends who are happy to roll their sleeves up, metaphorical or otherwise, and do what needs to be done to move someone on a little bit. Sometimes we are so mired in something it just takes a new viewpoint to help us.

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • daisy_1571
    Just popping on - cleaning and clearing kitchen drawer. Compartments stuffed. Now I know why - 25 butter/side plate type knives. Let's just think about that for a moment.

Hmmmm.

Yup, some can safely go

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hahaha, Daisy! 25!! Do you actually use any of them?

I unkondoed about €30 worth of amenities in all shapes, sorts, and sizes from a trial at work, and I'm thrilled! I'll work my way through them religiously, plus I'll not have to buy any for many years. I probably have enough (posh!) soaps to last me for the rest of my lifetime. This sparks a lot of joy for me.

Just as much joy as I get from our 2 rabbits when they hop around our living room :D They are soooo cute, and last night they had their 'crazy' hour, and ran in circles, chasing each other, behind the curtains and the sofa, jumping over pillows, hiding behind chairs, suddenly stopping to smell my feet :eek:, sitting still for a cuddle, and off again!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure