Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Saw a beautiful cream leather sofa in a charity shop this morning. It was immaculate. Was very tempted but I really don't have anywhere to put it just now and anyway I can't help but feel I might be tempting fate......dont want to put a jinx on things by jumping the gun. :rotfl:

I am sure there will be plenty more bargains out there when the time comes. :D

I have ordered some stout cardboard packing boxes, bubble wrap etc ready to make a start on sorting and wrapping in a week or so.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Poppy, can you tell us how you are? You aren`t alone and I am not the only one thinking about you

I cannot keep still, I only had one quiet day this month, when I was utterly shattered, I am potching and pottering as usual, always with an eye to removing stuff here rather than there. Did notepads this morning, sat down and read 2 pages of a good book and up I stood again, into the kitchen then back to my snug to sort some drawers, MP3 players and several sets of earphones, all good makes. I think I am getting down to bare bones, hope so, three years now and I am still realising that I still have stuff that never belonged to me
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well the great declutter, sort out and prepacking in preparation for the move has begun......

40 books sat in the car ready to be dropped off at the charity shop and two large boxes packed today. Dining room table piled high with stuff waiting to be packed. Manana. I'm done for. :rotfl:
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    LL and kittie

Well done on getting things sorted out but please pace yourself.

Poppy

We are thinking of you and sending good vibes.

Older dd came round and we had a nice catch up. She also collected her new bedside cot from the internal garage and I shifted it to her car as well as some packs of nappies and a couple of baby crib cellular blankets.
    I even found a v shaped pillow for her to take so she can have one upstairs and one downstairs as it supports her back. The v shaped pillow was in my bedroom ottoman so that has freed up some space there.

I am so pleased I got the two small freezers sorted out. defrosted and cleaned as I can now find things. Middle dd phoned this afternoon and we had a nice natter . She is hoping to borrow my posh picnic hamper next weekend and slipped in a request for a dozen mini quiches as "they always go down a storm" so lets hope I can manage to do a good job of them.

I still have some books to "set free" but the lady helping with the garden has a relative who has just broken a leg and enjoys reading so I have been giving her some to share out and then take to local charity shop.

Hugs to all
  • There must be something in the air about clearing out, I did the kitchen cupboards yesterday and am so much more organised. It is awful how the clutter can mount up and it does gift me a lift to see it all looking so much fresher and brighter.

I am saving for a new bathroom, mine is very 80s and looks so dated and tired and the taps are stiff which doesn't help with arthritic wrist. I am hoping to get it done before the end of the year so that is my target. I reckon I need £6k but I am reluctant to get a quote until I have a reasonable amount saved.

Elona how long till the baby is due? It is a lovely time of year for a new baby, lots of summer for your DD to enjoy with the baby, mine were all winter babies which isn't as much fun.
  • Elona_2
    Forumite
    humpty

Mine were winter babies too but dd is due late July or early August and all of us are getting so excited.

When you are planning a new bathroom look into the new lever taps- I got waterfall ones purely because I loved the look and only realised how much easier they were to use after a week or so. I was lucky I had a small family firm of builders who were very protective of me and drove me to places to choose suite, shower enclosure and tiles etc that were either wholesalers or had sales on . I found that things were not as expensive as a I had dreaded and loved the finished product. I tried to future proof downstairs so had a big walk in shower there instead of the bath with shower screen that is upstairs.

Now the small freezers are sorted I need to get the bus this afternoon to go to I**land and get stocked up with "fat club" friendly stuff so I have no excuse for eating rubbish (like that has usually stopped me).

I have been trying the bicarb of soda home made drink for over a week and also eating fewer carbs and it seems to be helping but I think the losing excess fluid is making me go to the loo nearly every hour so hope it settles down soon .

Hugs to all
  • So exciting to be having a first GC, I've got half a dozen now but last year we had a first granddaughter so that was exciting as well. I do love the boys but it is nice to look at the girls things as well.

My son has a friend who is a plumber so I think we will be using him and I will definitely have a look at those taps. Thanks for the tip.
  • Elona_2
    Forumite
    humpty

I managed to resist the temptation to get everything in pink once we knew it was a girl as then some of the clothes can be used for a second baby or passed round the sisters in the future.

I am so glad your son knows somebody as word of mouth is the best recommendation. It would be a good idea to look at showrooms online for an idea of what you like and then looking out for Summer or Autumn sales etc. I looked at a tile warehouse and loved a few tiles till I found they were about £75 eek! I then moved swiftly down to the other end where prices were cheaper but still had lovely tiles and had a sale.
  • Elona I'm not fond of pink so I buy some pretty things but rarely in pink. When my youngest was born my DH was adamant we didn't need any first size stuff as we had plenty. Well baby arrived and was 10lb plus and the things I had taken into hospital were a bit of a stretch. DH was so thrilled he arrived next morning with half a dozen blue babygrows that did fit. I asked him why he didn't bring some of the bigger ones from home but didn't get a straight answer. I must confess he did look a bit too butch for his sister's things.

Good idea about the sales. I'm hopeless at picking tiles, might ask DIL to help as she is really good at that sort of thing.
  • poppy811
    poppy811 Posts: 540
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for your best wishes, it helps but I must admit to feeling very low as I still don't have an appointment at the breast clinic. Having had cancer before and being a retired nurse I am under no illusions that it is very serious. I did not have to have chemo last time and because my husband had an allergic reaction he was in Intensive Care and on life support after the third dose and we had to make the awful decision to turn the ventilator etc. off.to his chemo I am loathe to agree to it. My friends have been lovely as have my 2 sons but because I live on my own I think it is going to be a very lonely journey. I have had a very difficult relationship with my daughter but it has been better over the last 2 years but she is offering no support or interest with this.

Sorry to be so negative will try to post a more upbeat post soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback