Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 12th Jun 18, 8:21 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 12Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Is GiffGaff refurbished phone, credit?
    • 12th Jun 18, 8:21 PM
    Is GiffGaff refurbished phone, credit? 12th Jun 18 at 8:21 PM
    I need to build up credit and a new phone.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/apple/apple-iphone-7-refurbished/phone-details

This looks promising. If I pay £200 today, and have a low monthly cost, but 18% APR, will it help my credit?

I have no job, havenít lived in the UK for a long time etcc.

I would like the new iPhone, would I be able to get a phone at Carphone warehouse etc?
Page 4
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 16th Jun 18, 5:39 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Cool story bro. Another bank slave who likes the bank having control over him/her/it.
    Originally posted by beckysheffield

Maybe you'll get a free tinfoil hat with your new credit card
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 16th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Maybe you'll get a free tinfoil hat with your new credit card
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Iíve given you lots of real life situations where the bank has made the consumer suffer.... yet you donít dispute what Iíve said, just name call. I guess you donít have an argument and like to give all control to the bank.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Jun 18, 6:32 PM
    • 14,297 Posts
    • 13,514 Thanks
    sourcrates
    People of my parents generation didnt have a 0% mortgage, 30% was the going rate. People got paid cash, legally, but they didnt *have* to have a bank account. My father also had to sit down and have the I can afford it chat. Now it a 25 year old branch manager sitting at the computer Little Britain style.

So many people seem to think I have the problem for not willing to get credit, just because the bank orders me to. Slaves.

You know i actually agree with you in some respect, but the world has moved on since then, back when i was a youngster, early 1970`s, there was no due date to pay bills by, it was always the end of the month, as that's when most were paid.

We didn't have the massive amounts of personal debt back then either, credit cards were for the businessman, or the very well off, for most it was the HP, the man would come every week with his little book, we are now obsessed with credit, and credit rating, tends to be a part of most peoples lives now, but if you want a mortgage these days, unless your extremely wealthy, you have to play the lenders games in order to get one.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 16th Jun 18, 11:44 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    You know i actually agree with you in some respect, but the world has moved on since then, back when i was a youngster, early 1970`s, there was no due date to pay bills by, it was always the end of the month, as that's when most were paid.

We didn't have the massive amounts of personal debt back then either, credit cards were for the businessman, or the very well off, for most it was the HP, the man would come every week with his little book, we are now obsessed with credit, and credit rating, tends to be a part of most peoples lives now, but if you want a mortgage these days, unless your extremely wealthy, you have to play the lenders games in order to get one.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    The bills always had a due date.

Again, itís only a part of peopleís lives because you and others seem subservent to it.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I!!!8217;ve given you lots of real life situations where the bank has made the consumer suffer.... yet you don!!!8217;t dispute what I!!!8217;ve said, just name call. I guess you don!!!8217;t have an argument and like to give all control to the bank.

Ok lets take them in order

Overdraft fees that were too high.
    These weren't forced upon people, Banks are businesses, the terms and conditions of overdrafts were clear when people and businesses signed up to them

Asset stripping of businesses.
    Businesses that borrowed money they couldn't afford to pay back? Should the banks just take the hit?

PPIs.
    I'll conceded that one, as people weren't aware etc that they had been signed up. However a lot of people willingly and in full knowledge took these out, and claimed, others relied upon them

Credit crunch.
    This would be when the banks were too generous and was too easy to get credit and then it all came crashing down, yet now they have tightened up lending criteria you don't like it

Need a bank account for a job.
    Employers do this to make it easier for themselves, You clearly don't like banks, do you keep your money under the floorboards. Plenty of people get paid cash "legally"

Banks rescued by the state.....
    See credit crunch

You keep saying about being controlled, That's deep rooted paranoia, You cant expect them to give you money without playing by their rules, IF you don't want to play by the rules you are free to do so, no-one is forcing you to

People of my parents generation didn!!!8217;t have a 0% mortgage, 30% was the going rate. People got paid cash, legally, but they didn!!!8217;t *have* to have a bank account. My father also had to sit down and have the !!!8220;I can afford it!!!8221; chat. Now it!!!8217;s a 25 year old branch manager sitting at the computer Little Britain style.

So many people seem to think I have the problem for not willing to get credit, just because the bank orders me to. Slaves.

You keep saying you don't want to get Credit, but isn't that exactly your problem, You do want to get credit? In the form of tens of thousands in the shape of a mortgage,

I hate to break it to you but a mortgage is credit, and the bank exerts more 'control' over someone with a mortgage than any other type of credit
    Last edited by glentoran99; Yesterday at 9:11 AM.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 17th Jun 18, 8:42 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 6,737 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Iíve given you lots of real life situations where the bank has made the consumer suffer.... yet you donít dispute what Iíve said, just name call. I guess you donít have an argument and like to give all control to the bank.

The easist way to keep control would be to not get a mortgage and pay for property outright

Otherwise yes, you get their money, they get some control.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 17th Jun 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    nic_c
    So it's better to have a lot higher APR, have to book an appointment at a bank, rely on the whim of the bank manager and how HE feels (as in those days it was usually a he) as to whether you can get a mortgage or not, rather than being aware of your own credit history and practicing financial responsibility so that when it comes to applying you know your chances and its all taken on facts rather than a bank manager not liking your tie or thinking your eyes are too close together to be trustworthy,
    Last edited by nic_c; Yesterday at 9:04 AM.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 17th Jun 18, 10:01 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Ok lets take them in order

These weren't forced upon people, Banks are businesses, the terms and conditions of overdrafts were clear when people and businesses signed up to them

Businesses that borrowed money they couldn't afford to pay back? Should the banks just take the hit?

I'll conceded that one, as people weren't aware etc that they had been signed up. However a lot of people willingly and in full knowledge took these out, and claimed, others relied upon them

This would be when the banks were too generous and was too easy to get credit and then it all came crashing down, yet now they have tightened up lending criteria you don't like it

Employers do this to make it easier for themselves, You clearly don't like banks, do you keep your money under the floorboards. Plenty of people get paid cash "legally"

See credit crunch

You keep saying about being controlled, That's deep rooted paranoia, You cant expect them to give you money without playing by their rules, IF you don't want to play by the rules you are free to do so, no-one is forcing you to

You keep saying you don't want to get Credit, but isn't that exactly your problem, You do want to get credit? In the form of tens of thousands in the shape of a mortgage,

I hate to break it to you but a mortgage is credit, and the bank exerts more 'control' over someone with a mortgage than any other type of credit

Ok I hate to break it to you but you clearly have no idea whatís happened in the world with regards to banks.

1) you need to research why the banks had to return all that money to all those people
    2) no this https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-rbs-legal/rbs-settles-businessmans-claim-that-bank-wrecked-property-business-idUKKCN1B31TZ
    3) no, the Banks didnít comply with FCA.
    4) again you need to read more about the banks
    5) no, everything relies on a person having a bank account and when it becomes a cashless society you have given up any right for any control. Now everyone knows about your spending habits and what you do.

On one side you are saying they are a business, yet if they are a private business why should the tax payer be bailing them out. You should really should travel and research. Also buy some virtual currency unless you like the bank having complete control.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 17th Jun 18, 10:16 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    So it's better to have a lot higher APR, have to book an appointment at a bank, rely on the whim of the bank manager and how HE feels (as in those days it was usually a he) as to whether you can get a mortgage or not, rather than being aware of your own credit history and practicing financial responsibility so that when it comes to applying you know your chances and its all taken on facts rather than a bank manager not liking your tie or thinking your eyes are too close together to be trustworthy,
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Someoneís gender is irrelevant, unless you are a sexist of a feminist.

A bank manager ďnot likingĒ you is subjective and had you actually written more about the Thatchers government banking reform, it would have held more weight.

Banking ďback in the dayĒ required a heafty deposit, you could only borrow 2.5 times salary and banks didnít force a person to get a credit card with an APR of 39.9%, just because of a ďcredit ratingĒ.

I would much rather have a building society, because you didnít go to banks, look at my outgoings, deposit and general ability to manage money, rather than apply for THEIR products which are of no benefit.

I would be a much better canidcate then someone with credit cards, low deposit etc. yet you like the bank to control what you do with your life.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 18, 10:21 AM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Ok I hate to break it to you but you clearly have no idea what!!!8217;s happened in the world with regards to banks.

1) you need to research why the banks had to return all that money to all those people
    2) no this https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-rbs-legal/rbs-settles-businessmans-claim-that-bank-wrecked-property-business-idUKKCN1B31TZ
    3) no, the Banks didn!!!8217;t comply with FCA.
    4) again you need to read more about the banks
    5) no, everything relies on a person having a bank account and when it becomes a cashless society you have given up any right for any control. Now everyone knows about your spending habits and what you do.

On one side you are saying they are a business, yet if they are a private business why should the tax payer be bailing them out. You should really should travel and research. Also buy some virtual currency unless you like the bank having complete control.

Tax payer bailed them out because if they didn't we would have all been screwed.

I can choose to get paid by cash if I wish, perfectly legally, and in some cases I do. Its easier to put it in the bank though, Ive paid and do pay cash for many things, How do they bank know my spending habit.

Ill pass on the virtual currency thanks, Ive seen friends lose thousands, Ive also seen how difficult it can be to turn it into a spendable currency, Try getting a pint of milk with bitcoin see how you get on
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 18, 10:24 AM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Someone!!!8217;s gender is irrelevant, unless you are a sexist of a feminist.

A bank manager !!!8220;not liking!!!8221; you is subjective and had you actually written more about the Thatchers government banking reform, it would have held more weight.

Banking !!!8220;back in the day!!!8221; required a heafty deposit, you could only borrow 2.5 times salary and banks didn!!!8217;t force a person to get a credit card with an APR of 39.9%, just because of a !!!8220;credit rating!!!8221;.

I would much rather have a building society, because you didn!!!8217;t go to banks, look at my outgoings, deposit and general ability to manage money, rather than apply for THEIR products which are of no benefit.

I would be a much better canidcate then someone with credit cards, low deposit etc. yet you like the bank to control what you do with your life.

You have no income, What makes you a better candidate than someone with a job, Regular income, and a record of borrowing and paying back credit ? all verifiable?

Its credit scoring not credit rating

Back in the day you could borrow 2.5 times income, do you know what 2.5 times 0 is?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 18, 10:28 AM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    You obviously have a deep rotted hatred of banks which is why I find it difficult to understand why if you are so anti the system why you are so desperate to be part of the system.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 17th Jun 18, 11:41 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    You have no income, What makes you a better candidate than someone with a job, Regular income, and a record of borrowing and paying back credit ? all verifiable?

Its credit scoring not credit rating

Back in the day you could borrow 2.5 times income, do you know what 2.5 times 0 is?
    If you had bothered to read my post itís temp whilst I relocated.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 17th Jun 18, 11:45 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Tax payer bailed them out because if they didn't we would have all been screwed.

I can choose to get paid by cash if I wish, perfectly legally, and in some cases I do. Its easier to put it in the bank though, Ive paid and do pay cash for many things, How do they bank know my spending habit.

Ill pass on the virtual currency thanks, Ive seen friends lose thousands, Ive also seen how difficult it can be to turn it into a spendable currency, Try getting a pint of milk with bitcoin see how you get on
    Cashless society will become a reality. You seem to be fully ok with banks forcing people to take out credit and banks controlling the world markets detrimental.

Desperate to be part of the system? You mean I want to own a house and need a small mortgage, and as I have to get that from a bank Iím ďdesperateĒ to be part of the system. Why are you so happy for fellow comrades to have credit cards and do whatever the bank say, instead of the customer having choice.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 18, 11:54 AM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    If you had bothered to read my post it!!!8217;s temp whilst I relocated.
    Yes its temporary but its your current situation, So currently you are not in a better situation than someone else with a job
    Last edited by glentoran99; Yesterday at 12:02 PM.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 17th Jun 18, 12:01 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 4,505 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Cashless society will become a reality. You seem to be fully ok with banks forcing people to take out credit and banks controlling the world markets detrimental.

Desperate to be part of the system? You mean I want to own a house and need a small mortgage, and as I have to get that from a bank I!!!8217;m !!!8220;desperate!!!8221; to be part of the system. Why are you so happy for fellow comrades to have credit cards and do whatever the bank say, instead of the customer having choice.

Save and buy the house, If you are that good with money as you keep saying it shouldn't be a problem.

I do not know what a credit rating is and if mine is bad etc.

You really don't seem to understand the concept that for a bank to be willing to lend you thousands of pounds that they need to weigh up the risk of if you will pay it back or not.

You do have a choice no-one forcing you to buy a house, No-one forcing you to borrow to do so.

If you want to be part of the system you have to play by the systems rules. There is nobody holding a gun to your head to make you

Ask yourself, would you lend money to someone you know little about and the likelihood of repayment?

Maybe a credit union is what you need to be looking at
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 17th Jun 18, 12:26 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    Save and buy the house, If you are that good with money as you keep saying it shouldn't be a problem.

You really don't seem to understand the concept that for a bank to be willing to lend you thousands of pounds that they need to weigh up the risk of if you will pay it back or not.

You do have a choice no-one forcing you to buy a house, No-one forcing you to borrow to do so.

If you want to be part of the system you have to play by the systems rules. There is nobody holding a gun to your head to make you

Ask yourself, would you lend money to someone you know little about and the likelihood of repayment?

Maybe a credit union is what you need to be looking at
    Sometimes you make valid points but mostly I!!!8217;m repeating myself and you don!!!8217;t take on board what I!!!8217;m saying.

Example !!!8220;would you lend money to someone you know little about!!!8221; you jest me? I!!!8217;ve been with a/the bank for 20 years. I!!!8217;ve good good finances, banks would give 100% mortgages. British passport. They lend to polish people who haven!!!8217;t been in the country as long as I have. Who!!!8217;s more likely to be a fake.

I actually can!!!8217;t be bothered to explain to you again, why I don!!!8217;t want to get a credit card. Thankfully there are people who can see how the banks screw everyone and aren!!!8217;t subservent like you, thinking the banks are doing you a favor by having a bank account.

Please don!!!8217;t comment on the thread anymore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,611Users online

Martin's Twitter