Iresa offering smart meter

Options
13»

Comments

• aduffell
    Options
    I had mine fitted by SMS on behalf of Iresa on the 14th, but turns out that Iresa do not have the technology at their end to support them, so I still have to give readings to them. Also the in home display doesn't show the correct £ and p, as Iresa aren't sending down tarriff information. You can still view kWh, but that's about it.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2018 at 12:00AM
    Options
    aduffell wrote: »
    I had mine fitted by SMS on behalf of Iresa on the 14th, but turns out that Iresa do not have the technology at their end to support them, so I still have to give readings to them. Also the in home display doesn't show the correct £ and p, as Iresa aren't sending down tarriff information. You can still view kWh, but that's about it.
    Are Iresa fitting Secure Liberty smart meters ? By the sound of the comment about only viewing kwh s in the gas meter reading on the monitor thats what they are doing
    .I would expect they would chose the worlds worst smart meter and of course its the cheapest tat meter to buy in the UK.
    An insult to their customers
  • scratchyrat
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Welcome back after over 3 years in the abyss :cool:

You won't get any money back (unless you have made a one off payment which the supplier deems was done purely to earn the interest they pay on credit amounts) whilst you are be supplied by them. The supplier will amend the monthly direct debit if needs be.

Here is a useful MSE article that may assist you:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits

Also, if you genuinely have accrued credit of £200+, then it's worthwhile checking the comparison sites again based on a more accurate assumption of your anticipated annual consumption.

Correct. The supplier bills for every complete calendar month (usually)
    So unless you provide a meter reading onn the lastr day of the month, the supplier will use an estimate for that day (based on any readings you have submitted). Of course, it all catches up the next month, as long as you give a reading that following month too.

Once you switch away from them, they will be required to produce a final bill for you. They are expected to do this within 6 weeks of you actually leaviung them.
    You will then get any credit showing on that final bill returned.

Good luck!

Yeah, I dip in and out of posting here on a whim :rotfl:

That's good to know, I'd be happy enough with having my DD reduced to be honest. Now I've calmed down from my tantrum, I realise although they suck, they are cheap and I'm willing to put up with the crap service given how much money I save. I'm paying less for my energy now than I was in 2012 with a Big Sixer. I always do comparisons using my actual usage, using the DD amount is a mistake IMO. Only Outfox the Market come near Iresa, and they have a variable tariff which I'm not interested in.

Most of my credit is on gas, and I've worked out (very roughly) I've probably got enough credit accrued to pay my bill for the next year. We're a low use household, there's only two of us, we're frugal and I'm never there half the time.

Can I amend my DD amount myself? They're taking about £20-30 a month more than I they need, give or take a couple of months in winter where it's about right.
  • scratchyrat
    Options
    aduffell wrote: »

Sounds utterly pointless then. An out of date meter they can't support that will probably need changing if you every switch to a supplier that does.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MeterMan wrote: »
    OTA is over the air update, so we don't even need to do a module exchange. Everything at BG is currently being updated to sm1.

I thought the data transfer rate of smart meters was so low as to not allow a SMETS1 meter to receive an OTA via the mobile network to upgrade the firmware to SMETS2 spec.

My understanding was that the data transmission rate is so slow/limited because when they were designed (SMETS1 meters) they were only needing to send a few bytes of data back every so often - i.e. meter ID and readings and that therefore it would be impractical to attempt a firmware update via an OTA download because of this low baud rate. Is that not the case?
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, I dip in and out of posting here on a whim :rotfl:

That's good to know, I'd be happy enough with having my DD reduced to be honest. Now I've calmed down from my tantrum, I realise although they suck, they are cheap and I'm willing to put up with the crap service given how much money I save. I'm paying less for my energy now than I was in 2012 with a Big Sixer. I always do comparisons using my actual usage, using the DD amount is a mistake IMO. Only Outfox the Market come near Iresa, and they have a variable tariff which I'm not interested in.

Most of my credit is on gas, and I've worked out (very roughly) I've probably got enough credit accrued to pay my bill for the next year. We're a low use household, there's only two of us, we're frugal and I'm never there half the time.

Can I amend my DD amount myself? They're taking about £20-30 a month more than I they need, give or take a couple of months in winter where it's about right.
    Unfortunately, Iresa won't reduce your DD, they will just ignore your many requests for them to do so. I'm in a similar position but think, as I am now close to the end of my contract, I will attempt to switch suppliers and then get the ombudsman involved to get my money back. I'm currently 6 weeks after my first email contact to Iresa regarding my over-payments so, by the time my contract ends in April, I will be well over the minimum 8 weeks that the ombudsman requires.
  • scratchyrat
    Options
    Just thought I'd pop back and update this thread. I got Iresa to refund my excess credit and agree to reduce my direct debit, but I had to put in an Ofgem complaint to do it.

They've got 28 days to sort these two things out, and I've already had the refund through. Just the DD reduction to go now.

My advice is to raise a complaint with the from the off, chase it every 2 weeks, and as soon as the 8 week limit is up, complain to Ofgem.

Regarding the Smart meter, they called me up and asked me to arrange a time for installation, so I declined. They said I needed to tell them why, and I said I just didn't want one, and that was that. I do want one, but not from Iresa.
  • Janikk
    Janikk Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately I had a letter to fit a smart meter, wish I hadn't done it. The fitter only told me after it had been fitted Iresa had not got smart meters up and running yet so not much point having one. But Ires a assured them they would be up and running in 2 weeks. That was six weeks ago.. The system won't accept the new meter readings as they are lower numbers SO guess what!! They are estimating readings on my old meter,,, grrrr... Obviously the don't reply to any communication either. Went to ombudsmen last complaint because readings estimated, looks like I will have to go through them yet again.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A nice thread bump,

Iresa, still asking me meter readings. We had a smart meter fitted on the basis that they could read the meter readings themselves, not possible.

We dont care about KWH usage (nor is it correct for £), therefore we unplugged the nice read-out display and its in a drawer. Ironically, we've saved energy by undertaking that action.. :)
  • billinge
    billinge Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Iresa now tell me they have now halted their roll out of Smart Meters -

"Our smart meter rollout has been suspended for now. We will inform all customers on our website when we start the rollout."

They told me in April;

"We would like to confirm that we have just started with the smart meters roll out.

We are sorry to say that we are still unable to receive meter readings from a smart meter, as our system is not yet updated for the smart meter standards.

Iresa is working on resolving this issue as soon as possible, and until then, we would advise you to keep submitting your regular meter readings on every last day of the month."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure