Interest on council tax refund

I have been fortunate enough to get my house re-banded (thanks Martin) and have received a refund. I have received no paperwork yet to confirm how the refund value was arrived at (just a payment into my bank) but my question is, if not included should I be asking for interest to be paid on my overpayment refunds. My refund goes right back to 93 so the concil have had some of my money for quite some time!!!!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No, you just get the difference.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Council Tax legislation makes no mention of interest on refund of overpayment so council have no obligation to pay interest.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • foxy1305 wrote: »
    I have been fortunate enough to get my house re-banded (thanks Martin) and have received a refund. I have received no paperwork yet to confirm how the refund value was arrived at (just a payment into my bank) but my question is, if not included should I be asking for interest to be paid on my overpayment refunds. My refund goes right back to 93 so the concil have had some of my money for quite some time!!!!!!

No they haven't had the money for quite some time - they would have spent it on local services in the year it was paid.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • They HAVE had my money for some time. It's irelavent whether they've spent it or not. If they hadn't had my money they would have had to obtain it by other means. If this was via a loan for example they would be paying interest.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    foxy1305 wrote: »
    They HAVE had my money for some time. It's irelavent whether they've spent it or not. If they hadn't had my money they would have had to obtain it by other means. If this was via a loan for example they would be paying interest.

If anything, you would be claiming the money back from the valuation office as they are the ones that set the band.

But you wont get anything from anyone. Enjoy your refund.
  • Leslob
    Leslob Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have just received my refund of the promised £4600 but there is an additional payment of £1300, not mentioned in any of the documentation.
    Could this be interest?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Leslob wrote: »
    I have just received my refund of the promised £4600 but there is an additional payment of £1300, not mentioned in any of the documentation.
    Could this be interest?

Doubtful, as councils have no legal obligation to pay interest
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure