Which console?

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm sure if someone tried hard enough, eventualy they'd find a way to get malware onto an Xbox.

While technically it's not impossible in reality it's not going to happen for a number of reasons, the first being it's very difficult to compromise the Xbox One security to allow unsigned code to run. By separating the games and applications into their own operating systems which are kept apart from the system level operating system it makes an effective sandbox. Despite the Xbox One having been out for many years, no-one has managed to crack its security.

Of course in time that may well happen but that still wouldn't allow an app like Kodi to install malware. It's likely any exploit would be complex to install and unlikely to simply run within an app but even if it did, you'd never get such code into a game published on the Microsoft store. Microsoft are much stricter about what goes into their stores than Google with their Play store, the latter simply scan published apps to look for dodgy apps (although the bulk of Android malware comes from installing from outside the Play store) whereas Microsoft carefully check all submissions before they're allowed in. Any code to compromise the Xbox would be identified and the app rejected. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 were compromised to allow them to run unsigned code, neither had malware from official apps and even once the vulnerabilities were out in the wild weren't that easy to apply.

Even if you did come up with an exploit that could run within an app and managed to get it past Microsoft, it would still be worthless as the moment it was released Microsoft would block the app and patch any compromised Xboxes. That would make the window to infect Xbox Ones incredibly small which would severely limit potential for the number of infected victims and once infected, they'd be quickly patched. It makes no sense at all to even attempt that, if someone did produce a hack for the Xbox One it would be much more valuable to sell it on as tool to allow people to run pirated games on their Xbox One.

For those wanting to profit from malware there's much better pickings with Windows devices as recent large scale outbreaks such as Wannacry and NotPetya have shown. It's going to get worse now as criminals have realised using cryptocurrency miners as the payload is much more effective than cryptographic ransomware as the malware can sit quietly in the background earning guaranteed money.

Tl:dr - There's no risk of malware from installing Kodi on your Xbox One
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am not telling people to do anything. I just said what i would do rightly or wrongly.
    OK then, but what you would do is based on assumptions you have made, which AndyPix has tried to explain to you are wrong.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    OK then, but what you would do is based on assumptions you have made, which AndyPix has tried to explain to you are wrong.

People are able to listen to everyone's views and form their own opinion on what they wish to do. Its not like what i would do would cause any problems for anyone who did the same.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 2 May 2018 at 11:07AM
    People are able to listen to everyone's views and form their own opinion on what they wish to do. Its not like what i would do would cause any problems for anyone who did the same.

That doesn't justify your posts where you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the technology and post entirely fabricated information such as this:
    No risk with kodi itself but the builds are basically criminal and supplied by criminals. They no doubt invalidate your warranty and if those who make them screw up who knows what they might do. I am not denying the risk is likely to be fairly low but you are failing to argue why its better to put it on your expensive console instead of a cheap firestick.

This is a general misunderstanding of Kodi anyway but it's completely wrong in regards to the Xbox One. It's your choice if you wish to make your own decisions based on ignorance and a complete refusal to understand any part of it but then to defend posting misleading and incorrect information to deliberately mislead users of this forum is very wrong.

John
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 May 2018 at 11:48PM
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    That doesn't justify your posts where you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the technology and post entirely fabricated information such as this:

This is a general misunderstanding of Kodi anyway but it's completely wrong in regards to the Xbox One. It's your choice if you wish to make your own decisions based on ignorance and a complete refusal to understand any part of it but then to defend posting misleading and incorrect information to deliberately users of this forum is very wrong.

John
    The builds people use provide illegally obtained viewing, movies currently on cinema etc and often get blocked by the powers that be. When reading terms of gadgets they often warn you may invalidate your warranty should you put something onto it that shouldnt be there. I dont think you saying its not on the system its on kodi would get around it if they are looking for an excuse to get out of fixing a fault that may well be totally unrelated to kodi and the build you use. I remember getting the ring of death on the 360 and they asked questions and if i had given the wrong answer i am sure they would have said tough its your own fault.
    Ultimately i can state opinions just like you can and have above. People can make their own mind up what to do.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    When reading terms of gadgets they often warn you may invalidate your warranty should you put something onto it that shouldnt be there..

Kodi is fine to be there - have you not got that yet ?

Whichever way you choose to customise it with addons IT CANNOT AFFECT YOUR XBOX

Therefore is completely irrelevent as far as warranties are concerned.
    When they talk about stuff that's not meant to be there, they are referring to code not signed by microsoft ie - if you have jailbroken your console.

Why are you finding this so hard to understand :huh: :huh: :wall: :wall:
  • AndyPix
    Ultimately i can state opinions just like you can and have above. .

You are the only one stating opinions - which are wrong.

I am stating facts
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Guys just leave it yeah. I don't think there's anything else anyone can add to this conversation to improve it, unless we go back to the main point of discussion which is which console is most suitable for the OP.

Personally, I find Playstation's games to be more satisfying, Uncharted and The Last Of Us etc are fantastic and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Its not like what i would do would cause any problems for anyone who did the same.

It would cost them money. Have a look at the name of this website again. Your view was based on incorrect information, and it's OK if you want to change it now...
  • AndyPix
    Guys just leave it yeah. I don't think there's anything else anyone can add to this conversation to improve it, unless we go back to the main point of discussion which is which console is most suitable for the OP.

Personally, I find Playstation's games to be more satisfying, Uncharted and The Last Of Us etc are fantastic and it'd be a shame to miss out on them.

Thats one thing that annoys me about having an Xbox rather than a playstation , I have never had the oppertunity to play Uncharted :( and I really like the look of that ..

I just cant get on with the playstation controllers though - and i mainly just play call of duty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure