Paypal Direct Debits

Comments

• BodyMilk
    BodyMilk Posts: 10 Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Its been removed hence the message.

You will need to use PayPal to pay for something then the DD will still come out.

You can no longer pay PayPal account via DD using the app or the website.

I think they have cottoned onto people using it for DD (maybe)

Westie983
    So, if I use the "send money" option to pay someone and have a zero balance on my PayPal account then it will work as a DD?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    BodyMilk wrote: »
    So, if I use the "send money" option to pay someone and have a zero balance on my PayPal account then it will work as a DD?

Yes, takes a few days to debit but they get the money instantly

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Wilma33
    Wilma33 Posts: 681 Forumite
    I contacted PayPal about this today and they said it was due to "internal security systems". Hmmm.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Yes, takes a few days to debit but they get the money instantly

Westie983

I noted the timings for debit and credit as well. Now am i the only one that has contemplated going from sending £5 to £5000.
  • Rosie1980
    Rosie1980 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    At least all these changes are coming at the same time, I can plan my new bank account set up if I know what I am dealing with.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    So sending money to someone works as DD still?

Can you do this on more than one bank account?
  • So sending money to someone works as DD still?

It's worked for me a few times recently. Only using the mobile app - the functionality has been removed from the website. Someone suggested that Paypal only allow you to use the DD facility if you have recently used your Paypal account to pay for something. I don't know if that's true but it's plausible, ie. it could explain why it sometimes works for me but not always.
    Can you do this on more than one bank account?

Yes - I've done it recently with two bank accounts.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    If you have a zero Paypal balance and a linked bank account, and you pay for something with Paypal (eg buy something on eBay), the payment is direct debited automatically from your linked account. It used to be called an e-cheque, and the seller would have to wait until the DD payment arrived and then Paypal would forward the money to them. Not sure how long the seller waits these days.
  • ericpode
    ericpode Posts: 356 Forumite
    My partner buys things occasionally from ebay, and the payment gets taken by paypal from her Santander current account via a DD.

She's now considering closing the Santander account (to escape the £5 monthly fee).

But will it be possible to change the Paypal direct debit to a different current account if all the DD controls in the paypal control panel have disappeared?

Is she going to lose the DD funding mechanism if she closes the Santander current account?

In general, are we all stuck with existing current accounts if want to avoid losing the DD mechanism?
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ericpode wrote: »
    My partner buys things occasionally from ebay, and the payment gets taken by paypal from her Santander current account via a DD.

She's now considering closing the Santander account (to escape the £5 monthly fee).

But will it be possible to change the Paypal direct debit to a different current account if all the DD controls in the paypal control panel have disappeared?

Is she going to lose the DD funding mechanism if she closes the Santander current account?

In general, are we all stuck with existing current accounts if want to avoid losing the DD mechanism?

As far as I'm aware Paypal's DD system is still their standard for paying for purchases (other than drawing on a debit or credit card)

The worrying in this thread is, surely, about people trying to draw cash from their banks into Paypal just to make a DD, not people buying something with Paypal, which, if from a bank account, must be via DD.

So Paypal should allow you to set up another DD from another account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure