Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• I actually complained about this in a restaurant chain recently. Bill says the usual 12.5% discretionary service charge, we ask for this to be removed, get the shittiest attitude ever from the waitress. Service wasn't bad, wasn't above and beyond either - it was what I EXPECTED for the price I have paid to eat there.

Anyway, I complained to said restaurants head office and they gave us a free bottle of wine on our next visit. I don't need to give anyone a reason to ask for a charge that is discretionary to be removed - and that was my point to Head Office. They agreed.
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I actually complained about this in a restaurant chain recently. Bill says the usual 12.5% discretionary service charge, we ask for this to be removed, get the shittiest attitude ever from the waitress. Service wasn't bad, wasn't above and beyond either - it was what I EXPECTED for the price I have paid to eat there.

Anyway, I complained to said restaurants head office and they gave us a free bottle of wine on our next visit. I don't need to give anyone a reason to ask for a charge that is discretionary to be removed - and that was my point to Head Office. They agreed.

I've done that a few times, always the same OTT response, its actually embarrassing. Pizza express was the last time, I dont go there anymore, not just for that reason

The "service cost" should be factored into the price. You dont go to tescos, get your shopping, then get charged for checking it out
  • austonic
    austonic Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I generally leave 15% of the pre-VAT price as a tip in cash after paying the bill by card providing the restaurant passes tips onto staff in full (usually they will split between waiting and kitchen staff). I will give more for extra special service.

A restaurant that opened near me just before Christmas passes on all tips to a local charity (they intend to change the charity every month or so) and all staff benefit from profit share overall.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but ignorance is lethal.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    austonic wrote: »
    A restaurant that opened near me just before Christmas passes on all tips to a local charity
    If you are tipping just to give money to charity, then you would be better donating directly to the charity (assuming you are a taxpayer), then gift aid can be claimed and the donation can also be used to increase the higher rate tax threshold.
  • austonic
    glider3560 wrote: »
    If you are tipping just to give money to charity, then you would be better donating directly to the charity (assuming you are a taxpayer), then gift aid can be claimed and the donation can also be used to increase the higher rate tax threshold.
    I agree, and I pointed this out to them. I also prefer to choose myself what charities I contribute to.

I still find it interesting that they were doing something different.
  • austonic
    For the avoidance of doubt, obviously if I am unhappy with the service/food I will not be providing a tip, nor do I pay the full price of the meal in question.
  • I don't tip waiters and I wouldn't care if I had to select "no" for tipping the waiter. If they weren't serving me then they are not fulfilling the role the company hired them for. The company paid them to carry the food to my table and ask for my money, my payment for the meal covers the waiter's service, so no they shouldn't be tipped.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Carl31 wrote: »
    I've done that a few times, always the same OTT response, its actually embarrassing. Pizza express was the last time, I dont go there anymore, not just for that reason

The "service cost" should be factored into the price. You dont go to tescos, get your shopping, then get charged for checking it out

Exactly - service should be part of the price of the food and drink.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I do not want tipping culture here in the UK. We have minimum wage and everyone gets paid fairly. We do not need a US system where the staff have no job security working on $2 an hour and need to survive on tips.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I do not want tipping culture here in the UK. We have minimum wage and everyone gets paid fairly. We do not need a US system where the staff have no job security working on $2 an hour and need to survive on tips.

There has been a tipping culture in the UK all our lives.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback