New car dilemma

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Totally agree but it's almost 11 years old and who is to say that in another year or so I won't have to start replacing bigger items, in addition to another £500-700 depreciation when I would be looking at a very low sell on value. Also, the fact I am getting the car at a £1,500-1,750 discount is appealing.

Hmm. I would not worry about depreciation on an 11 year old car. The value of your car is mostly to you, as you know it has been taken care of so far.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All cars can suffer failures and need repairs, it's the nature of the beast, new cars aren't immune.

But most of the cost of a car is depreciation, with an old car there might be some extra repair costs but this is often more than offset by the negligible depreciation costs.

And I'm not sure I'd trade a known quantity like your existing car for a 1L ecoboost, only because the only person I know who bought a brand new focus with one, had his fail on him within a year or two requiring an engine swap.
  • Try looking at a Skoda Fabia.

Cheaper to insure and run than most mainstream manufacturers and built to last.

Just make sure it has a decent service history and make sure you get a HPI check and an engineers inspection before you part with your hard earned.

As a cash customer try the local Skoda dealership as you could get up to 20% off of the screen price.
  • Try looking at a Skoda Fabia.

Cheaper to insure and run than most mainstream manufacturers and built to last.

Just make sure it has a decent service history and make sure you get a HPI check and an engineers inspection before you part with your hard earned.

As a cash customer try the local Skoda dealership as you could get up to 20% off of the screen price.
    Why?
    Please read the original post as Your post looks like Spam.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been reading about the problems with the ecoboost engine and wonder if all of the affected models were dealt with under the product recall? I have searched the reg number of the vehicle I am considering buying and there are no notes to suggest that it needed to be recalled.
  • funguy
    funguy Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    adonis10 wrote: »
    I have been reading about the problems with the ecoboost engine and wonder if all of the affected models were dealt with under the product recall? I have searched the reg number of the vehicle I am considering buying and there are no notes to suggest that it needed to be recalled.

No they definitely haven't all been dealt with. See the following group on Facebook which has just under 1000 members and a growing list :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 January 2018 at 10:12AM
    I would stick with your current car, it’s at known quantity and had a lot spent on it recently which should keep it going for a fair few years but realistically you won’t get back what you just spent out were yiunto sell it now

. As someone else said forget depreciation you are well beyond the period that’s relevant it’s all down to mileage and condition now.
  • adonis10
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I would stick with your current car, it’s at known quantity and had a lot spent on it recently which should keep it going for a fair few years but realistically you won’t get back what you just spent out were yiunto sell it now

. As someone else said forget depreciation you are well beyond the period that’s relevant it’s all down to mileage and condition now.

I am seriously considering that, but the 1,500-1750 discount I could get on the car makes me think that it could be an idea to change now and effectively get 1-1.5 years of free depreciation. See how the Fiesta acts over the next year and reassess at a point when I could sell it for practically the same price as I bought it for. In the back of my mind, an 11 year old car with 100k on the clock is probably going to cost more over the next couple of years than a 4 year old with 9k (obviously making the assumption that the Fiesta doesn't blow up like all others apparently do).
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    That would be true of an “average” 11 year old car, but yours isn’t, you’ve given it a lease of life with all that work you did, indeed that’s why you did it I expect ?

Having said that if the Fiesta has only done 9k miles, when you come to sell it it probably won’t be a high mileage relative to its age, so it ought to be saleable at a relatively good price.

The other point to consider is what you’ll get for your current car, if uts less than you think/hope perhaps the loss on it will cancel out the saving you make on the Fiesta.

Tough choice that can be argued either way let us know what you decide it seems to me you’ve pretty much made up your mind to go for the Fiesta ?
  • adonis10
    That would be true of an “average” 11 year old car, but yours isn’t, you’ve given it a lease of life with all that work you did, indeed that’s why you did it I expect?

Well, the clutch, starter motor, water pump and battery were all broken so they were replaced out of necessity to get it moving, but, yes, the by product of that is a new lease of life. Tyres were close to legal limit and brake discs spongy so would have been an MOT failure.
    Having said that if the Fiesta has only done 9k miles, when you come to sell it it probably won’t be a high mileage relative to its age, so it ought to be saleable at a relatively good price.

The other point to consider is what you’ll get for your current car, if uts less than you think/hope perhaps the loss on it will cancel out the saving you make on the Fiesta. ?

Exactly what I thought about the low mileage fiesta.

Agree about my current car price - I have a figure in my mind and am currently advertising the car so the response to this will really determine whether I go for it or not. As you say, any discount will be eaten into by the difference of what I expect to sell my car for and what it actually sells for. This will be the deciding factor.
    Tough choice that can be argued either way let us know what you decide it seems to me you’ve pretty much made up your mind to go for the Fiesta ?

I do fancy it for a number of reasons but it is dependent on a) what my car could sell for and b) what my research uncovers regarding the Ecoboost engine. I might get a garage to have a look and get their opinion before deciding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure