Starting a new business, guidance please

Hello,

Need some help please, I am currently employed but have been told in confidence by the MD that the firm is going to close in the next couple of months and the customers I work on I can continue to do so on my own if I want to, this will mean I will need to start a Ltd company and will have to register for VAT, I expect my turnover to be approx. £200,000+ in the first year, can I do this whilst still employed, I will be working from home and is there a website that I can go to where I can start proceedings and register the company, any help and guidance that anyone can offer I will be grateful for, as I say I expect the business to start end of Jan or end of Feb, it all depends on our clients paying the existing business and the due process of shutting it down, I will be made redundant and will be using a large put of my redundancy to start the business with cash flow
Thanks in advance

Comments

• fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    For that level of turnover I would recommend you go out and find a good accountant before you commence trading.

Put everything in order, T&C's, invoicing, bank account, insurances, maybe a bit of tax planning etc so you more or less hit the ground running.

Try companiesmadesimple.com for creating your ltd.
  • Even though this appears to be a ready made business, you still need to do a business plan and make sure you crunch all the numbers.

The big question I would be asking myself is - if the firm is closing, why are they closing, and why do I think I can make a turnover of £200,000 in year 1.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    First question for an accountant. Do it need to be a limited company? Second question, does it need to be VAT registered? Make no assumptions and properly research your options in both these areas.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above, get proper advice as this is not something you should attempt to muddle through with no idea where to start. If this goes wrong you could stand to lose money, so get it right from the start even if that means paying out some real money to do so.

I am also concerned at the statement in your OP " it all depends on our clients paying the existing business ", does this indicate that you are to be palmed off with clients who have a history of not paying, or paying late?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think you can assume that all of the clients will transfer to you - some may go elsewhere in the next few weeks if they get wind that the company is in trouble.

Assuming you do get the clients will some of them have been promised work for which the company has already received money? You don't want to start off with clients who expect you to do work for them and don't expect to pay you.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pennywise wrote: »
    First question for an accountant. Do it need to be a limited company? Second question, does it need to be VAT registered? Make no assumptions and properly research your options in both these areas.

Also, depending on the type of work, some clients will only engage with a limited company (or an umbrella company) so it would be worthwhile understanding that relationship too
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    martindow wrote: »
    I don't think you can assume that all of the clients will transfer to you - some may go elsewhere in the next few weeks if they get wind that the company is in trouble.

Assuming you do get the clients will some of them have been promised work for which the company has already received money? You don't want to start off with clients who expect you to do work for them and don't expect to pay you.

+1

I'd be aiming for 50% and see how the numbers look.

A lot of companies may not wish to deal with a one man band outfit.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not just take over the current business as a going concern?

As above you need to get proper advice as this doesn't seem to be a simple situation.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Hi Percey 1983,
    Thanks for the reply but that would take a lot of money as an investment and the main clients are going elsewhere so not really an option
  • Beatle_Ray wrote: »
    Hi Percey 1983,
    Thanks for the reply but that would take a lot of money as an investment and the main clients are going elsewhere so not really an option

What sector are you working in, what client base do you have, do you have any experience of running a company?

£200k 1st year turn over is significant for a one man band.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure