Virgin Media Doorsteppers Misrepresenting Facts

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I said 'not interested' to a landscaper who rang my bell the other day (after already putting a leaflet through the letter box) and he told me to 'p1ss off', great technique for winning new customers!
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I said 'not interested' to a landscaper who rang my bell the other day (after already putting a leaflet through the letter box) and he told me to 'p1ss off', great technique for winning new customers!

:rotfl:

Once when I told a door to door salesperson I wasn't interested he responded with "I'm only trying to earn a living" to which my response was "and I'm trying to have some peace and quiet".

I love giving them stupid answers though.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was once accosted in my street by some oik trying to sign people up to some cheap-as-frozen-chips, Iceland-on-wheels outfit. He was downright aggressive; "Don't you want to save money on good quality food, then?" in the same tone as "I'll smash yer face in." I told him he would win a lot of customers that way, too.

I think it takes someone with far more patience than most to do that job well. He was clearly unsuited.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    we have a "no cold callers" sign on our door so don't get bothered by doorstep sellers (any more)

Does that actually work, Caz3121? I have mentally written such a sign a hundred times but OH was against it... Possibly because he used to sell double glazing. He had to quit because he was "not enough of a b@stard" to make it work. :rotfl:
  • Smodlet
    edited 9 September 2018 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Wow, sheramber. A criminal offence? I hate cold callers but find that very surprising. I will give this serious consideration. Thank you.

ETA: I still prefer my version, though: "We don't buy from door steppers: Not goods, services, politics, charity nor religion."
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/no-cold-caller-zones

It is now a criminal offence for cold callers to return to someone’s house, if they have been asked to leave.
  • dealer_wins
    Options
    Cold calling should be made illegal full stop IMO.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Cold calling should be made illegal full stop IMO.
    And the punishment should be: all senior managers in the offending company (and the one that hires them if an agency) have their fingers chopped off.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sky Broadband uses normal phone landlines

I know it does ... I forgot to add ;) to my previous post. :)

I was being somewhat rhetorical ... since Sky BB uses the BT infrastructure then Sky are probably not the only option for that poster ... unless it is a very rural exchange where Sky are the only provider wanting to offer any form of Internet connection. (Unlikely, but possible).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure