Camping with Gitdog?

elsien
elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
I am currently considering whether this is workable or whether I need my head examining so would appreciate any feedback from anybody who takes their dogs camping, with regards to practicalities.

I'll be going on my own in a two person tent, with a car. If I left him in the tent at any point (e.g. to go to the loo) the tent would be unlikely to still be there on my return so I'm looking to put him in the car overnight etc. Tent not big enough for a crate, plus I'd be worried about him getting nicked.
Are even dog friendly campsites funny about bull terriers?
Can you usually have the tent next to the car?
Anything else I need to think about?
He's a friendly little soul, just somewhat lacking in impulse control.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• johannalf88
    johannalf88 Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Hi elsien.

We camp with our dog a lot, so can answer a few of your questions.

I would be worried about keeping him in the car overnight because of the heat, it can get hot very quickly even at night. Can he not sleep with you?

The cars are often parked next to the tent, we tend to find campsites note it online if they require cars parked elsewhere (or have a car free bit). But if it is important I would check.

We never leave Niles (dog) alone in the tent (mostly because he is likely to escape through an unsealed door!) however a lot of campsites (and I can’t think of any I have been to that don’t) have somewhere you can tie your dog up outside while you go to the loo, wash dishes etc. We leave Niles tied up there a lot, never considered him being stolen and he is a very cute friendly dog even by my FiL standards!

The other alternative (but I don’t think this would work) is that you get a “ground spike and lead”, but gitdog would need to either not be that strong, or give up when he feels resistance. Niles isn’t strong enough to pull it up as long as we have it in properly.

In terms of bull terriers I can’t help (Niles is a schnauzer) but I have never seen a campsite ban a particular breed, it’s either dogs, dogs can come for a price, or no dogs! (Not saying it can’t happen- just not seen it!) Use cool camping to find dog friendly sites.
    :T
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can you put him in a crate next to the tent?

And, not being funny, if someone DID nick him, how long before they brought him back again? (don't tell him I said that ...)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    I'd not rely on being able to put him in the car, possibly too cold, or too hot, at night, and likely to be too hot during the day even for loo trips.

I'd personally get a bigger tent, that would make it much more relaxed with a 'living area' as well as sleeping area.

a fair while since I camped but it is doable, a zipped sleeping compartment and long line attached to something or you just in case if any doubt it's secure
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    When we had our caravan our dog slept in the car. It was her choice . She was too hot on the caravan overnight.

You have to be aware of the sun shining from early morning heating the car up.

I wouldn't count on leaving him in the car during the day as it may be too hot.

We have a tailgate guard so could leave the dog in the car with the boot open.

Silver sheets do a great job of keeping the car cool.
  • Plus one for the bigger tent... for a start, any dog's claws will make mincemeat out of the superlight fabrics used in small backpacking tents. I used to go car camping with a chum & her dog a lot. My chum bought a large-ish roughNtough Coleman tent from Halfords, ideal for both car-camping & camping with a dog, for under £50, which was plenty big enough to put a big metal dog crate in one of the vestibules, which don't have ground sheets. In the event, she used to place the crate half in, half out of said tent, for the fresh air and both for seeing the dog, and the dog seeing out. This seemed to work well, but of course, all dogs are different. The crate also folded flat when not needed so was pretty easy to stow.
    Plus one too for never putting the dog in the car - park the car on the wrong place and by nine o'clock ( I don't know what time you get up, but...) in the morning in mid-summer, it could have had some hours of sun on it and be too hot for a dog.
    I would add that it was a delight having the dog (called Frankie, a very calm and quiet black labbie, who alas is no more, having passed away peacefully in her14th year) with us, being a super companion both during the day on walks and around the camp, and I would definitely encourage you to go the extra mile to accommodate yours - you won't regret it. :-)
  • Camping? In the countryside? Where they have sheep? And people stumbling over guylines in the dead of night/shining torches/talking/with squealing children at 7am and 11pm/cooking sausages and burgers at Gitdog level?

I've been on holiday in a caravan with a Staffie Cross, which was fine - but not by myself. He was (fairly obviously) permanently on the lead.

And yes, a lot of people are very funny about Bull breeds, although the recent changes in fashion probably have them more bothered about Huskies around the livestock, as almost every attack in places near to towns seem to be carried out by them these days. Plus, once you get into campsites and rural areas, there are tons of other people with Other People's Dogs.

I'd consider a caravan on a camp site or buying a 4 man tent & a crate. Plus a very large spike to attach somebody's lead to - and lots of cheap blankets, because depending on where you are going, it still gets flaming freezing at 4am in a tent, even in August, in the Southwest/warmest part of the UK in a heatwave at the time.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • w06
    The alternative of course is to demand your human builds you a camper van, complete with awning and dog ramp Document.aspx?docid=784961, it's moved on a bit since this was taken, almost campable in now, Stan's doing a stirling job of supervising
  • elsien
    Camper van is on the wish list for when I win the lottery.

I'm only looking at weekend camping at the moment - just I can take off overnight when the mood takes. I will be a fair weather camper - Gitdog and I am unanimous on this point. :D

Relative leaves his dog in the car overnight and not had a problem. Obviously wouldn't do it during the day unless I was sure it was cool and overcast and staying that way.
    Tent needs to be able to be put up by one crack-handed person so although I can see a 4 person one'd be more useful I'm unconvinced I'd be able to put the blasted thing up.

Gitdog is unlikely to be a delight in the countryside. But it's got to be worth a go to acclimatise so I'm borrowing a tent for attempt one. We should be alright as long as there's no clanging gates.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• elsien
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Can you put him in a crate next to the tent?

And, not being funny, if someone DID nick him, how long before they brought him back again? (don't tell him I said that ...)

Kindly refrain from casting nasturtiums (as we say in this house) on poor Gitdog.
    However.....crate next to tent is likely to lead to loudly complaining Gitdog. He'll be better in the car because he's used to it.

• w06
    campervan on a budget the way to go (mine will always be a work in progress but will have cost me less than the Motability cars I previously had)

This sort of thing would be readily put uppable - it looks as thoguh just three hoop poles (i'm also very cack handed ) http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/easy-camp-galaxy-400-tent-p430025 something with a 'living area' makes a big difference
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure