Leaving work to look after children

I am in a slightly tricky situation and am considering voluntarily resigning from my job.
Im on minimum wage but work full time. My partner is a uni student and will be entering a full time work placement (unpaid). Due to this we will have to enter 1 child into full time nursery and another into after school child minder.
I have done the calculations and my entire salary will not nearly cover it, thats without general bills, southern city rent, living etc.

Anyhow, if i resign from work to look after my kids will i be entitled to housing benefit, tax credits job seekers etc or will i get these santions im reading about?
Many thanks

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    If your partner is unpaid can he not give up his placement instead?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    If you resign you could be sanctioned from claiming JSA for up to 6 months.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Presumably giving up work to look after your children would mean that you aren't intending on finding another job and so jobseeker's wouldn't be an option.

If your area is full service universal credit you would have to claim that instead and there are different rules and regulations around/B]
  • You'd more likely be sanctioned, OP.

Have you checked you're claiming everything you're entitled to? Working tax credits? Childcare element of this? Does your employer have childcare vouchers?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,110
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is there any financial help towards the cost of childcare from anywhere?

I know tax credits didn't use to help with childcare costs in this scenario and you won't be able to salary sacrifice for childcare vouchers as you're earning NMW and it would take you below.

Am not sure if there's any other help. How old are children, wondering about the 15 hrs free you got at 3+? How long is placement for? Is saving towards it now an option?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    As per spendless' post, childcare element of wtc wouldn't be available in this situation as requires both to be in paid work for at least 16hrs per week. Could your partner take on a 2nd job as well as the placement?

Assuming UC isn't appropriate in your case, you may be able to claim CTC as this isn't sanctioned and purely based on income. There's also child benefit which you should already be claiming. JSA wouldn't be possible if you're giving up work to look after your children so not job seeking.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How long is the unpaid work placement? Surely it can't be going on for long. Is it even legal that he won't be paid anything? What kind of placement is it?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,862
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your partner should still get student finance for his placement year.
  • jane12345
    jane12345 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

Some answers here for the questions asked;
    Not doing the work placements isn't an option as its university 3rd year of nursing. The placements are full time 3-5 days a week, 12 hours a day or night so working an additional job isnt realistic. The placements will be on-off for 6 months and they will not be set days or times.

Its not that i wont be seeking employment, rather that i wont be seeking it for nmw. It would need to be at least 5k a year more.

Free childcare hours dont apply as our children are the wrong ages. I believe its only for 2-4 year olds. The kids are 6 months and 6 years.

childcare vouchers are also not available on my wage nor from my employer.

Help with childcare is available from student finance and tax credits, however, neither cover the full cost. having spoke to both the best we can achieve is upto 65%. This is a great help we're lucky to have in this country, however, taking home my wage we dont have the cash left to pay around £500 p/m. This is largely due to rent and council tax costs which stands at £950 p/m, having looked to move this is a below average price for a 2 bed flat in brighton.

My area is not a universal credit area.

We are in receipt already of child benefit, and student bursary.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Why do you not have a current tax credit claim?

Childcare wouldn't be an option through tax credits as your partner is not in remunerative work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure