jerez Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. My worst flight nightmare short of a crash
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    scart wrote: »
    Myself, partner and 4 year old daughter flew with jet 2. I feel that paying to sit next to a minor is not acceptable. I was sat in the same row as my daughter but she was sat on the opposite isle between two adults? My partner was at the other end of the plane. I spoke to the air hostess once boarded who was not interested. Luckily for me a very nice young lady swapped with my daughter (probably because of her crying and fidgeting). If the airline can guarantee my daughters safety then I'd accept this. How do I know that my daughter may be at risk, I don't know who would be sat next to her, it could be a !!!!!phile? I would only have to turn my head for a minute and something could happen.

Sorry, but sat next to a P'phile?!

She's at more risk of the stewardess tipping hot tea all over her and scarring her for life than a P'phile openly commiting any criminal act on an aeroplane full of passengers if you turn your head for a minute.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Well, that's your opinion.
    The post I quoted stated it was a 'non-issue' because he had travelled with his children 'many many times and never been seated separately'.

It certainly reads like this family found it an issue:

and this one:

But I don't mind if your opinion differs from mine.
    :rotfl:They're the same one! The thread is 13 pages long, it doesn't have a conclusion. Mainly bitter people whinging that they paid and therefore so should everyone.

The PP was correct. It's a non-issue, not worth worrying about. Any more than getting a suicidal pilot. Yes it might happen, but so unlikely, not worth a second thought.

And if it does, some good suggestions for guerilla tactics in this thread ;)
  • Deedee9
    Deedee9 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear - we were told last year by Virgin that they were bringing in pay to sit with your party - I laughed and said - how can you stick a child next to unknown adults - are you CRB checking them before they fly?
    If a child starts to complain and wants his/her parents what can an unknown person sitting beside them do? Ignore them and you are being nasty - say something and you could be accuse of being a pervert!

If we have a system in place in this country that does not allow adults to enter schools full of children without getting the relevant checks done then I would suggest that is the best tone to take with all the airlines or face the possibility that someone will sue because of this ruling - but I don't care whether I sit next to my hubby - so I shall not be paying - but I guarantee there will be a lot of angry parents paying so they are together...
  • Charlie-Otter
    Options
    In fairness we only ever fly short-haul on tiny airplanes (Channel Islands / France) so I can usually see my children from wherever we end up seated, but I won't pay the extra to guarantee we end up sitting together, but equally don't see how you can demand the charge abolished?

My kids are 5yr and 7yr, and we fly 4-5 times per year visiting family, and they have only ever once been seated a couple of rows away from us, but generally we are all seated together automatically. Blue Island don't charge to choose your seat in advance, which we did on a recent flight as I was travelling alone with both kids, only to find we had been bumped to accommodate a "larger lady" who didn't fit down the aisle...as soon as the air hostess realised what they had done she simply moved people around so we could still sit together, and nobody minded at all.

My favourite seating mishap is still when we flew to France with (Sl)Easyjet when the kids were 3yr and 5yr old...the airline seated them both with my husband near the front of the plane...and me by myself at the back of the plane! He still thinks I paid for that seat :rotfl:
  • chris-j
    chris-j Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am currently waiting to check in for a Jet2 flight. Myself, my wife and my mother and I have no intention of paying their extortion money to be seated together. Currently when I go to check in they are allocating seats in different rows when there are still many rows showing with three seats on either side. Jet2 would appear to have there software configured to push passengers into paying for the guarantee.

I get the arguments they are a business and I get the issue with paying for baggage and food as these are tangibles which cost the airline.

I have already bought my seat so to then sell me the guarantee to sit with my group is extortion. This is equivalent to going to a restaurant and being seated at different tables unless you pay a fee to guarantee to be at the same one.
    If there was a tangible cost involved to the airline then fair enough but this is pure opportunistic greed and p**s poor customer relations.
  • Fancyette
    Fancyette Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I understand what everyone is saying about the tax but I am a parent with two children until 7 & have had to pay nearly £200 for us four to sit together on our family holiday flying BA in August. Why should we have to pay for seats together when it's obvious children under a certain age cannot be left to sit anywhere on a plane on their own?! Surely other passengers would start complaining if they had children "running" riot on the plane when they're not sitting with parents. It's bad enough us having to pay huge flight prices for travelling in the school holidays - don't penalise us any more, we're not all made of money!
  • teabody
    teabody Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have been charged £114 to be seated next to my 5 and 7 year old with Thomson but felt I had no choice....it's a 10 hour flight....i could never relax being sat else where on the plane.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    :rotfl:They're the same one! The thread is 13 pages long, it doesn't have a conclusion. Mainly bitter people whinging that they paid and therefore so should everyone.

The PP was correct. It's a non-issue, not worth worrying about. Any more than getting a suicidal pilot. Yes it might happen, but so unlikely, not worth a second thought.

And if it does, some good suggestions for guerilla tactics in this thread ;)
    I know they were the same poster but for some reason, I quite liked the second one so included it too. ;)

I have read the thread I quoted from so I do know what posters have been saying.

Being allocated seats separately from children is clearly an issue for some people - my opinion is not just based on threads posted on MSE about this issue - because it has happened to them.

So they do worry about it next time they fly, as do their friends and colleagues they tell when they return home.

I don't worry about not being seated next to my partner, no kids, nobody to be concerned about so yes, it is a non-issue for me but not for other people.
    I wasn't speaking from my own selfish perspective in my post #45.

'seats together' is a chargeable extra - people can choose to pay or not pay.
    I do what suits me.

Personally, I'd never resort to 'guerrilla tactics' on a plane but each to their own, I guess. ;)
  • ADEKEEBLE
    Options
    Just stop using these budget airlines altogether and put the muppets out of business. Use a proper airline that treats people with respect and not as a cash cow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure