Budgeting for a student house

My daughter was asking me today how much money she should set aside each week/month to cover the gas.electricity and water bills and and any other bill that is liable to occur. I can honestly say I just don't know. My work collegue's son has just now in his last term at Uni been faced with an electricity bill of £300 ???- this can't be normal or is it.

Comments

• Travelqueen
    Travelqueen Posts: 204 Forumite
    I would suggest trying to set up a monthly dd with the electricity company - they can work out what your years bill COULD be and divide that across the year - eg. £30 a month - you will generally be in credit for the summer months and debit for the winter months - they could have a house bank account that they all pay a set amount into each month to cover these kind of bills. Of course, many students only rent for 8-9 months a year, so I don't know how it would work then ??? Good luck anyway!

TQ

PS I would suggest at least £50 a month to cover gas, elec, phone, water. remember if the house is just students they don't have to pay council tax...(they get a form from the university which proves they are a student and exempts them from it) - Student welfare may also be able to advise.
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It all depends how conscientious the housemates are. There is always one who sees it as a personal challenge to leave as many lights/Tvs/gas fires on as possible (brings back amusing memories of a "young electricity user of the year" award when i was at Uni!!!)
    We used to have an exercise book by the phone & log all the calls we made in it, then when the bill came someone had to go through it all & work out how much everyone had to pay. I would suggest that it may be cheaper for your daughter to use her mobile phone & not bother with a landline.
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    This aspect of life was always a flipping hassle and I'm sure many people fell out over bills in shared accommodation.

Generally its the lady students to watch out for (don't ask me why?) a couple I lived with insisted on buying their own toilet roll because they believed they could use it more frugally!

Make sure everything is agreed up front - also make sure that each bill is in a different persons name if possible i.e. do not have all the bills in one persons name because this person is stuffed if the bills don't get paid. Most companies will only let two names on the bill, don't do what I did, put all the utilities in my name and then get left to pay them all!

Shouldn't have to keep a log of the phones - most telcos provide an itemised list - still not much fun going through it though.

A joint back account is a pipe dream, you'll always get people who agree to this then moan about the amount of money being spent on x and y. Once you sort out the bills (try for monthly payment) agree on a housekeeping kitty for toilet roll and cleaning stuff.

TV license was always fun - there would always be one saying "I don't watch TV its for plebs" (again a female) at the beginning of term and then sneak into people's rooms to watch East Enders. What she meant was "I don't want to pay any money for it because I don't have a TV" as is we spent the whole time glued to it.

As you can see the scars have yet to heal - maybe I was a bit laid back about it (compared to my house mates) - I was more worried about getting my 2:1 than toilet paper!

That was the only reason I was there incurring a massive debt?
  • fragster
    fragster Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yeh, bills are bad things, i managed to get them all in my name and i'm still trying to sort them out now to get our deposit back and we left over a month ago, people get reluctant to pay and i've had to cover two housemates £60 each though one is on holiday so i dont blame him, the other one promises she is paying...
    definitely get them in different peoples names, not sure how much ours worked out over the year but it was a fair bit, maybe £50 a month each for water, electric, gas and broadband
  • zcaprd7
    Yes can be a nightmare - I actually ended up working out cost of gas/electricity per person/per week so my housemates could budget for it - it was scary how much they relied on parents (cough) to do everything for them.  Still, they always seemed to have enough for mobiles and a night out down the pub ?

If I can remember, gas was about 50p a week per person per week - hot water and heating, which was never allowed on  ::)

Electricity was about £1 a week per person.

This was a while ago though.

This was why toilet roll became and issue - it is relatively expensive - and if it was someone elses turn and they hadn't bothered and you were stuck in the Lavvy it wasn't fun...
  • alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    What we did was set up a bank account in one of our names. Everyone in the house HAD to set up a direct debit into the account - then the person with the bank account sorted out the bills in their name. That way nobody could say they were too skint too pay the bill that month. It worked really well.

We use to pay (for 4 of us) monthly

£5 TV license
    £10 electric
    £10 gas

I think we ended up putting £40 a month and then every 6 months we spent the leftover money on booze for party at ours! Ah those were the days.

We got our landlords to pay the water rates.

We did try and have a pot which everyone put a fiver in a month for cleaning stuff- but that didn't work.

The biggest arguments were over the telephone bill - we had a book to write in but nobody used it. It was stupid really. People said they wouldn't use the landline and did. I hae no idea how to get round that.

The direct debit thing is the best really.

My sister is living with a girl (they are both full time workers now) and the girl she llives with never has any money to pay bills. I told her to get a joint account set up. Really its the best way! :)
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • zcaprd7
    The worst offence has to be saying they won't make any calls (and they don't) but get people to call them...

I then ask for a share of line rental and they can not even comprehend why I'm asking them!
  • Hi!

Although there are a lot of horror stories about student bills, a lot of people I'm at uni with have done fine. However, you need to be careful, as people have said, and make sure everyone is aware how much they are using and paying their share - this year i've had to live with some very selfish people who don't understand to turn off the lights/shower/oven etc when not in use, and we've ended up with electricity bills of £400 per quarter - for each quarter! >:( Nightmare!

Phone bill is easier to sort, as it is itemised. We managed to get a tariff with ntl, and paid £44 a month total, which paid for line rental, unlimited broadband internet access, and all our phone calls (free up to an hour, but then you just hang up and phone back if it's longer!) which was great as we knew exactly what we would pay each month for that!

I got so fed up of paying other peoples bills this year, that next year I'm moving into my own flat! Hopefully, your daughter will be with some decent people, but make her aware that from the moment they move in, her and her housemates need to sit down, set some ground rules about the bills (and also about chores too!) ;)

As long as they are all aware of being sensible, and of what they are using, she should get on fine!! ;D
  • shoe_addict
    shoe_addict Posts: 51 Forumite
    Hi
    I know someone recomended setting up monthly direct debits with the gas electricity companies, but my housemates and I had a real problem with that. We set it all up with British gas, but despite being told we were students, they didn't add anything on to their calculations of how much electricity we would use. With all 5 of us having computers and having lights on in seperate rooms, and cooking our own meals every night, we used far more than the average 4 bedroom semi british gas took us to be. This meant we have just recieved an end of year statement saying we owe them around £200, and some housemates have gone home for the summer! We've now changed it so we just pay for what we use when they send us a bill and that seems far easier.
    In relation to telephones, we need a line for broadband and people can call us on it, but we don't use it at all to phone out, that way there is no arguments on who spent what.
    I would definately recommend a house kitty for cleaning supplies and loo roll. We found that out of 5 of us, only 3 actually did any cleaning. As the other 2 didn't use any cleaning stuff, they didn't notice when we ran out, so never contributed to the cost even thouh it was all used for cleaning communal areas like the bathroom and kitchen. Toilet paper really seems to be something that can cause problems. In theory we took it in turns to buy it. In practise some people just didn't bother, and because no one wants to run out of loo paper we ended up buying it out of turn. When I realised I had bought the last 3 lots I went on strike and didn't buy anymore. Sure enough we ran out completely and no one else got any so I ended up buying a forth lot. See, toilet paper is such an emotive issue!!! :-[ Then there is the problem of quality, which differed considerably depending on who bought it. Nobody wants toilet paper that falls apart when you use it!
    I am obviously also scarred for life by the experiance of last year, and I have it all to do again this year.
    Nevermind, at least I've learnt a lot. ;)
    thanks to everyone one on here for being so friendly and helpfull
  • zcaprd7
    Indeed - there is nothing to compare to the humiliation of waiting in a toilet for one of your 'mates' to pop down the corner shop for some toilet paper - only for your hand to "go plunging through"....

Then there was the guy I lived with who ran out when it was his turn, whilst in the toilet - we all found this highly amusing until we realised that he just had a shower - claiming that "that's how the French do it" as he left the toilet...

:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport