Window Cleaning

Window cleaning. What is the going rate?

We are in the Bassetlaw area and being new to the area have picked a window cleaner and gone with them.

They have charged £16 to do 12 windows, the front door and a set of patio doors on a big standard two storey house with easy access to all windows and doors.

To be honest they have not done a great job. It is a new build house on an active site that we have been in for 5 months, so I'm sure you can imagine the windows were pretty dirty. So we are giving them the benefit of the doubt this time but expect better in four weeks time.

But are we being charged a fair amount?

Comments

• I would cancel em off, i got so fed up of window cleaners that i invested in windows with special hinges to allow me to do them myself from inside. No more ladders crashing against my house, horraaayy!
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We pay £17 for a big 4 bed house in Staffordshire. After trying several window cleaners we eventually came across a reliable, effective, pleasant, law abiding one. Keep trying until you get the right one.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • I strained cleaning our windows where I got free of all the water spots with a water spot remover mixed with white vinegar and a microfiber cloth. Then I used some turtle wax glass cleaner and spray wax and completed it with a carnauba paste wax. The paste wax is kinda inexpensive, it's mother's carnauba cleaner wax.
    [FONT=&quot]I like to do everything to the best of my ability. :wave:
    [/FONT]
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    £18 down south (but not London) for a 4 bedroom house. The problem I always find is that they want to come more often than you want them to come. The last cleaner damaged a couple of tiles, all minor, but the end of a relationship. I'd rather pay double and have them done no more than twice a year.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    We are in the Bassetlaw area
    For those like me who've never heard it - east of Sheffield

EssexExile wrote: »
    We pay £17 for a big 4 bed house in Staffordshire. After trying several window cleaners we eventually came across a reliable, effective, pleasant, law abiding one. Keep trying until you get the right one.

We use EH from Stafford - think our bill is about £25, but we have a large conservatory.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    :eek: Ours has just gone UP......to £9! :rotfl:
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I picked up a telescopic window cleaning set from Aldi for not very much, perhaps £15. I can whizz round the house and do all the windows myself in about 30 minutes.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    On the south coast I got quoted £35 for a one off on a 2-bed end of terrace when I asked the window cleaner who was already cleaning the windows 2 doors down, so it wouldn't have been much extra effort to shuffle down 15' and do mine. 2 bedroom windows on 1st floor + small bathroom one; downstairs one small bay, two small side windows and a patio door/window set to the garden.

I bought a pole for £12 and did it myself.
  • :eek: oh my days I pay £5 in Liverpool
  • _shel wrote: »
    :eek: oh my days I pay £5 in Liverpool

We used to pay £8 for the old house in Sheffield. But it had less windows and that had been a long standing price with the window cleaner who had not put up the price for the ten years or so he did the windows there.

Doing them ourselves isn't really an option as they just would never get done, hence why they were so dirty this time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure