MSE News: Scrap 'family tax' that pushes parents to pay to sit next to kids

Options
MSE demands airlines scrap a 'family tax' that pushes parents to pay an extra £15 each to sit next to their children ...
Read the full story:

MSE calls for airlines to scrap 'family tax' and guarantee parents are seated next to children for free

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It was fairly clear from the recent thread on here that there was division and a large number of posters didn't agree so I'm not sure why MSE are demanding .....or even who they are demanding this of.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So essentially MSE is demanding that this optional charge becomes a compulsory charge added to the ticket price, as has happened every other time they protested against airline practices.

Which would make it a "travelling-without-children-and-don't-mind-where-I-sit tax" rather than a "family tax". But everyone knows that people who don't have children with them are a nasty selfish bunch and we should always think of the children, so this "tax" will probably be deemed acceptable.

Or how about people just budget for this extra charge when booking? Cheap flights are not a basic human right...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think this is a load of tosh from MSE.

'Demanding'?
    Really?

Well, MSE, it appears the CAA ain't listening to your demands:
    The airlines aren't technically breaking any rules set out by the regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
    Its guidelines only state that airlines should "aim to sit parents close to children", or if this isn't possible, they should not be separated by more than one aisle and by no more than one seat row.
    But MoneySavingExpert.com believes the airlines are using sneaky tactics and not serving families well. This "family tax" is yet another extra cost for holidaymakers looking to get away.
    We asked the CAA whether it plans to tighten the guidelines to guarantee parents are seated next to their children for free. It says it has no plans to change the rules.
    To refer to it as a 'family tax' is ridiculous.
    It's a chargeable optional extra.
    Choose to pay it or choose not to pay it.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ironic MSE demanding airlines increase charges to travellers.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So this would disproportionaly penalise those without children who hadn't coughed up. They would have to be the ones moved about to accomodate them and so this would increase the chances of being separated. Thus increasing the pressure on that demographic to pay instead. Not everyone can be sat together on a busy plane, someone has to lose out (or the airline has to keep some seats back and raise charges to compensate).

I'm not in favour of the fees - I think the airline should attempt to seat everyone together as far as is reasonably possible - but it seems like some of the MSE staff have been spending too much time on Mumsnet.

2782075-5348157470-10996.jpg
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The 'seating together' option is pure profit for the airlines.

I don't know of anyone who has checked in as a group and then found themselves scattered across the cabin by the check in system.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd pay £15 NOT to sit next to somebody else's random and stray kids.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    This is only an issue on the budget airlines who rely on the insecurities of a few to make a few extra £££.

Unsurprisingly those same people are worried that they'll be inconvenienced, by those silly enough not to pay to be seated next to each other, but haven't really though through the whole process properly.

Seating should be allocated in-line with the CAA guidance, the guidance has been issued as it's a safety concern that affects all those on board the aircraft. The seating allocation of families should take place at the time of booking or perhaps at check in, but it is never something that needs to take place on board the aircraft as the airline know the age of all passengers in a party from the time of booking.

I'll be breaking through the 1,000,000 miles flown mark either later this year or early next, I've never paid to be seated with travelling companions and have never been separated by more that the CAA guidelines for families even though I don't have any children. Thankfully unless you're flying the cheapest of the budget carriers being seated with those on your booking is still an expected part of the service and not an invented added extra that needs to be paid for :D
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    This is only an issue on the budget airlines who rely on the insecurities of a few to make a few extra £££.

Unsurprisingly those same people are worried that they'll be inconvenienced, by those silly enough not to pay to be seated next to each other, but haven't really though through the whole process properly.

Seating should be allocated in-line with the CAA guidance, the guidance has been issued as it's a safety concern that affects all those on board the aircraft. The seating allocation of families should take place at the time of booking or perhaps at check in, but it is never something that needs to take place on board the aircraft as the airline know the age of all passengers in a party from the time of booking.

I'll be breaking through the 1,000,000 miles flown mark either later this year or early next, I've never paid to be seated with travelling companions and have never been separated by more that the CAA guidelines for families even though I don't have any children. Thankfully unless you're flying the cheapest of the budget carriers being seated with those on your booking is still an expected part of the service and not an invented added extra that needs to be paid for :D

Has BA become a budget airline now? They charge in the same way that the LCCs do.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Has BA become a budget airline now? They charge in the same way that the LCCs do.

While BA is enhancing itself towards the budget end of the spectrum on a yearly basis, they still haven't lowered themselves to the point of some of the budget carriers ;)

If you fly on BA you don't have to pay a premium to ensure you're seated with your children.
    We know where you sit as a family can make a big different to your trip so we aim to make it a little easier.

When you travel with an infant (under two years) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own, you can reserve a seat for yourself and everyone in your booking, free of charge, from the time of booking. If you don't choose your seats in advance, where possible we'll reserve suitable seats for you three days before the flight.

If you are travelling with children (between two and 12 years), we'll allocate you seats five days before departure. If you can't be seated together, we'll make sure each child is seated with an adult from your group.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure