The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day.

Options

Comments

• russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paula.paula I'm with you on this one.I hate my Oh throwing money away on overpriced tat for valentines.We've been together for 15 years,he either loves me to pieces or he's completely institutionalised!!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • pappuyogs
    Options
    energyman wrote: »
    Here here! Too often cheap is used as an excuse for poor behaviour. Most of the cut flowers sold in the UK are imported, often traveling on refrigerated aircraft and lorries, sometimes for many thousands of miles. Fertilisers and pesticides commonly used when growing flowers commercially can have a harmful effect on the environment. Add to that the low wages and conditions of the workers and "valentines day roses" don't have much love included! Try UK grown flowers from your local florist of if you must have roses make sure they're fair trade.

I agree, Arena Flowers has a range of flowers sourced directly from the growers and they are acredited by FFP (Fair Flowers Fair Plants). Ordered a dozen red roses sometime last year, and they were outstanding and they hand deliver flowers within the London region. Other than that, local florists are a better bet.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    The last three years I have bought a dozen red roses from Morrisons for
    £4-95 and they have lasted about a month.
    I will do the same this year.

In past years on these boards we have heard nothing but woe about Tesco and their non delivery on the day,so I would say on their past track record
    AVOID.
  • lynn44
    lynn44 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Somerfields have them from £9.99 on sale from 12th Feb 10 luxury rose bouquet
    I would love to be a Travel Agent :j
  • redmandarin
    Options
    Thanks to MSE Lawrence for this. Just to let people know though, the Waitrose Offer of 60 yellow roses for £25, works out at £30 (£5 delivery on orders under £50) and they look quite small (like rosebuds).
  • SmellyOldSock
    Options
    At the moment Sommerfield is selling 15 roses for $2!!! absolute bargain, and they last 7-8 days!
    Toughest form of moutain climbing is climbing out of a rut
    I WILL be debt free!
    I WILL be happy!
    red pen member 4
  • victoriav
    victoriav Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    FumingMad wrote: »

Saving money doesnt mean you have to hide your moral compass under the blanket of denial.

What a brilliant quote! :beer: I like this, I now need to remember it, to use in an appropriate situation.:rotfl:

Also, I agree with you.
  • kle87
    kle87 Posts: 411 Forumite
    Options
    Last year my boyfriend bought me 24 red roses from tesco with a teddy and chocolates lucky me. Sadly they all arrived on the 13th which ruined things slightly so I rang them up and they refunded me in full. The flowers were fab and lasted 2 weeks!
    2010 Wins: Benecol Bag For Life, £150 FCUK Voucher, Rimmel Foundation, L'oreal Mascara, £60 worth of hair products, £100 :j
  • bargainbarmy
    Options
    Well after all that bickering I feel quite unromantic. What's wrong with one of those single artificial red roses in the cellophane wrapper? Does the job nicely !!!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well after all that bickering I feel quite unromantic. What's wrong with one of those single artificial red roses in the cellophane wrapper? Does the job nicely !!!
    On behalf of your loved one I am thumping you!
    Mind you with that attitude have you got a beloved? hehe!;)
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport