The London Mint Office - scam?

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too have been conned into this thanks to a Groupon offer, I had sent to me a coin charging me over £300 I have rang them informing I would like to return it using the 14 day no quibble option but with 3 days left I still haven't been given a returns label

I recorded the time, date and name of the person I spoke to at London mint who said would send the returns label out to me

Does this mean even if it goes over the 14 day period because I have asked to send it back im covered? and can I just send the coin back to this address recorded and signed?

Please somebody help with this as it's starting to cause sleepless nights

Thank you
    I would be using a fully tracked service, like Royal Mail Special Delivery, for a package of this value.

Are you not continually chasing them for a returns label?
  • ChopperDeemus
    ChopperDeemus Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2015 at 11:25PM
    Options
    I'm prepared to pay postage costs to securely get it delivered back to the address it needs to, especially if it can be sent to the address a few posts back

I was caught off guard... It arrived on the morning I had a week holiday abroad, at first I "presumed" royal mint, also asked a family member to return it on my behalf but when realising its london mint the company wouldn't disclose no information as they were told they would only speak directly to the account holder( I didn't set up an account, unless it automatically activated from the groupon voucher coin)

So after my 7day holiday and Saturday and Sunday this gives me 4 days left

If I send it to :

The London Mint Office
    Harmsworth House
    13-15 Bouverie Street
    London
    EC4Y 8DP

Along with the original invoice first class recorded special delivery tomorrow morning, will this be the end of it as long as I keep my receipt of postage?

Thank you in advance
  • Uplink
    Uplink Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't order my 'free' medal, but reading the forums I assume I shouldn't anyway.

Their Terms and Conditions say this:
    6.1 Legal and beneficial title to the goods shall remain with the Company until such time as the Company has received payment of the purchase price of any other goods or services previously or subsequently supplied by the company to the customer whereupon such title shall pass to the customer.
    That paragraph is a very sneaky and underhand way of saying "we'll send you stuff and ask for payment" (see the word "subsequently"), which is exactly what the ruling addresses, but then you've already agreed to pay any amounts requested (and be subject to interest) when you ticked the box, so you can't treat the extra stuff as "unconditional gift".
    9. Payment is due and is required on receipt of invoiced goods, or on or before the due date specified on the invoice irrespective of the 14 day returns period.
    Invoiced goods. There's no requirement for you to place any orders. After you accept these terms in order to get your 'free' piece of round metal they can send you "invoiced goods" whenever they feel like it. And the deadline might be before the end of the cooling of period.

Any lawyer out there willing to reconcile these paragraphs with the idea of "unconditional gift" and "illegal demand for payment" that is mentioned on page 1? :)

I have read the ASA assessment linked on page 1 of this thread and the situation is not the same because paragraph 6.1, quoted above, pretty much authorises them to send you stuff "out of the blue" and you agree, in paragraph 9, to pay what they ask, irrespective of the 14 day returns period (and expect/pray for a refund should you return the item within the 14 days), including any penalties or interest if you fail to do so.
  • AJP206
    Options
    Hi All,

The London Mint Office have driven me insane the past couple months with their unsolicited products and aggressive selling. We cannot let them get away with this. Please join me in complaining to the following below:

Financial Ombudsman Complaint
    Citizens advice bureau emailed
    Watchdog emailed
    Also Complained to BBC News

I wrote emails to all the above in the past 30 mins, I just wrote one letter and copied and pasted the story for each of the above.

A company like the London Mint Office should not exist in this day and age, they prey on the elderly and their practices are atrocious. We must all complain to bring them to an end together, please people complain to all the above as the London Mint Office will not respond to your emails and will get debt agencies to chase up payments for products you never ordered or have sent back.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    London_Mint, you need to email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com to ask for permission to post on behalf of a company: this is for your protection and ours.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    London_Mint, you need to email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] to ask for permission to post on behalf of a company

I think that they have asked for permission, it's just that they haven't yet received that permission because under their user name it states:
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think that they have asked for permission, it's just that they haven't yet received that permission because under their user name it states:
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"

Or part of the new measures to deal with spam?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=68692903&postcount=26
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"
    I must admit I didn't see that last night.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

They don't seem to be working, given the dozens of spam threads created this morning.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • virgonick
    Options
    Like a few of you it seems that I have failed to research before ordering from London Mint.I ordered a Waterloo campaign medal.It has not arrived.I have been invoiced for the goods.I have a string of emails from them promising delivery within certain dates none of which have been honoured.I have asked them today to confirm details of how it was despatched by whom and when so that I can commence a tracking complaint from Royal Mail or whomsoever they use for postage.
    Any advice on how to proceed?I have attempted to speak to people by telephone but each number - there are 4 on the invoice- is permanently unavailable.
    This is all a bit unsettling from what I am reading of this company.Nick.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback