Edinburgh Ghost and Vaults

Options
2»

Comments

• Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've managed to get vouchers for 2 for 1 tickets with the Days Out Guide, when showing my train tickets. Edinburgh Dungeon and the Ghost Bus Tour are included, which is great news for me lol. Hoping someone might find this useful in future.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really enjoyed Mary King’s Close
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This webpage hasn't been updated in a few years but its a pretty comprehensive portal page for what's on in Edinburgh.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Lip_Stick
    Options
    Thanks, will check that out zagubov.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • ANDY597
    ANDY597 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 July 2019 at 12:51PM
    Options
    plus one for national museum on chambers street, its beautiful, make sure you visit the rooftop terrace from the new bit, stunning views over the city

underground, so you've got basically Mary Kings, Niddry Street Vaults and Blair Street vaults. My humble opinion is that Blair St is the best of those.

Greyfriars kirk is a good free place to visit, research before you go, theres some interesting people buried there. Also, just taking a stroll up the high street, theres always free street perfomers and buskers, but be prepared for it to be super busy.

Castles and historic Scotland, if your planning to do Edinburgh castle a good money saving tip is buy an annual pass. think the family one is like £7 a month, but essentially doing Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle pretty much covers the cost.
    And, if your doing a forth boat tour, you can get one that includes incholme abbey as that bit will be covered by the cost of your pass too.

Lots to do and see on the outskirts of Edinburgh, lots of lovely parks and gardens to visit at no cost. And Edinburgh in august can be overwhelmlingly busy.

Dynamic earth not keen to be honest, old and tired, you've seen it once you've seen it.

Vue cinema ocean terminal, next to where your going to britannia has cheap tickets for like £6 and accept meerkat movies.

If your going on a forth boat tour, keep an eye out on the way from edinburgh to south queensferry for Craigie Fruit Farn, pick your own raspberries, strawberries and cherries, absolutely lush.

if you ping me an PM with your address (im not an axe murderer honsest), Ill happily post you a festival catalogue although its all online, its a bit overwhelming. Free shows ten an penny, but buyer beware they are usually free for a reason.

Oh and if you havent booked accomodation by now, good luck with that, because you wont get moving in Edinburgh in August.

if the child likes swimming, Dunbar pool is a good way to escape the city, its down the east lothian coast, has a wave machine. Nice beaches at Gullane and North Berwick and they have a sea bird centre which is meh OK. East links farm is excellent and they know it, because its a bit pricey.

VR place in edinburghs gorgie is quirky to kill an hour, book directly and not via the groupon as its cheaper that way, hhahah

West lothian has five sisters zoo, an owl centre, linlithgow pallace, loads of other stuff. Id recommend Almond Valley Heritage Centre, New Lanark heritage centre and Summerlee Industrical Museum

Hope this helps
  • Lip_Stick
    Options
    Thank you Andy, I really appreciate the effort you have gone to with your post. It's definitely a help to me. I'm spending the evening trying to sort out the basics for an itinerary armed with the new info you have given me.

I've decided to book Mary King's Close this evening, because I had read it's hard to get a tour on the day, plus it seems a fairly historical account of life, rather than a show, but I will still do other tours or vaults that scare the heck out of my son lol.

The VR sounds great and is something my son would love to do. We did a Star Wars vr experience in Florida last year and he found that amazing, and this seems equally as fun.

I was looking at going to a few free children's shows, Board Game Smackdown and a maths magic show, amongst others, but perhaps that's a mistake. There's so much to see and do that I'm not sure I want to be travelling to somewhere for an hours show if it is mediocre. I think I might do my main plans and if I can fit a free show in here and there, go to one. At first I thought six days was too much, now I feel I need another week, especially if I venture a little away.

So many good suggestions, ones I would never think of. The pick your own fruit sounds great as my son has never done that, so will look at that definitely, thank you.

Your input has been very valuable!

Will pm you. ☺️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure