MSE News: E.on to hit customers...

Comments

• fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Hengus wrote: »
    To avoid any further confusion, the changes relate to customers on E.oN's SVTs. A more comprehensive breakdown of the changes is here:

https://blog.energyhelpline.com/sshock-e-standard-price-rise-50-year-4-2-19-april-causing-average-22-bill-increase-year-approx-2/

This was taken from E.on's SVT tariff yesterday. The website is currently down. Who knows if it will be changed?:-

Price Change Pending

These details are effective from 19/04/2018. If your tariff starts before this date you will be billed on our current rates and discounts until then. This means if you pay by fixed monthly Direct Debit you'll get a £35 reduced standing charge per fuel. From 19/04/2018 this will increase to £45 per fuel per year.

In reality, the people who will see price increases are those who don't / won't / can't pay by Direct Debit.

This fact has been omitted by the scanty news / information provided by the media so far, including from the above link.

To reiterate - For anyone wishing to avoid the E.on alleged price increases (of which we currently have no firm evidence / confirmation,) pay by Direct Debit to benefit from the alternative discount offered by way of price / discount restructuring.

There is little more to say until E.on themselves confirm their new tariff charges.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This was taken from E.on's SVT tariff yesterday. The website is currently down. Who knows if it will be changed?:-

In reality, the people who will see price increases are those who don't / won't / can't pay by Direct Debit.

This fact has been omitted by the scanty news / information provided by the media so far, including from the above link.

To reiterate - For anyone wishing to avoid the E.on alleged price increases (of which we currently have no firm evidence / confirmation,) pay by Direct Debit to benefit from the alternative discount offered by way of price / discount restructuring.

There is little more to say until E.on themselves confirm their new tariff charges.

In the link above, there is a table given to the PCW by E.oN. I am not sure that EnergyHelpline is mis-reporting what is a price increase for many of E.oN’s customers. That said, I accept that other media reports may just be piggy-backing onto EnergyHelpLine’s blog.
  • newship
    newship Posts: 7 Forumite
    Switched away on Friday, This, on top of their letter trying to force smart meters on us via their hired thugs. Not a mention of our rights to refuse. No way eon stuff your tariffs and smart junk meters. Their website down this morning,cannot log in , I wonder why.
  • fredandwilma
    Hengus wrote: »
    In the link above, there is a table given to the PCW by E.oN. I am not sure that EnergyHelpline is mis-reporting what is a price increase for many of E.oN’s customers. That said, I accept that other media reports may just be piggy-backing onto EnergyHelpLine’s blog.

EHL or anyone else for that matter, publishing those tables is of no consequence whatsoever, without concrete facts?

The fact is, E.on
    I can confirm this Hengus. We've reviewed the structure of our tariffs and made changes to our discounts and daily standing charges. We've made no changes, though, to our unit rates.

From yesterday, customers switching to our tariffs will no longer receive a discount for having both their electricity and gas with us or a paperless billing discount. Customers on our standard variable tariffs (SVT), Energy Plan and Energy Plan Assist, will stop receiving this discount from 19 April 18.

Also, customers paying by any other means than a Monthly Direct Debit will see daily standing charges go up by about £10 per fuel per year. Again, for customers on our SVTs, this will start from 19 April 18. There are no changes to the daily standing charges for customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit.

Customers currently on Fixed Tariffs won't see any changes until the end of their term.

Malc

The fact is, E.on have already introduced (1st March) tariffs, where customers will no longer received a discount for having both their electricity and gas with E.on or a paperless billing discount.

However they replaced the discounts on those tariffs, with an extra £10 discount per fuel, per year for standing charges, (from £35 to £45) for those paying by Direct Debit. The same discount applies to the SVT from the 19th April for those paying by Direct Debit, according to the information given about that tariff, by E.on on their website.

It's said there are no changes to the daily standing charges for customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit, however there is no mention of the extra £10 per fuel per year discount on standing charges for those paying by DD, which has risen from £35 to £45 discount, per fuel.

Those are currently the only 'facts' available in black and white from E.on, not via a third party.

The ambiguity is how they will introduce these alleged "backdoor price hikes" to substantiate the figures produced on these tables, presumably for people who don't pay by DD, which no one can yet, confirm?

It's only half a story, as yet......................

Carpe diem
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Looking on E.on's website, whilst they are scrapping a total of £25 in Duel Fuel Discounts and Paperless Billing - they are replacing with this on their SVT:-

If i read this correctly, in actual fact, if you pay by Direct Debit, you will receive a £45 reduction to your standing charge per fuel per year, (£90 per year) which is an increase in £10 per fuel per year, £20 a year in total, leaving a shortfall in savings / discounts of £5 per year. As long as you pay by Direct Debit, that is. Which includes those on SVT's per quote above.

For those on fixed tariffs:

The majority of tariffs will receive the discount as long as they pay by monthly DD.

The current DD discount is a £35 reduction to your standing charge per fuel per year.

It's a simpler discount or an attempt to encourage people to pay by Direct Debit?
    Increase in the Daily Standing Charge versus a £10 Standard Charge for customers who pay their bills by cash or cheque? Which is it to be? Is it a rise in Standing Charges or a loss of discount if you don't pay by Direct Debit? You can't lose something you didn't have already.

You will still get a discount (an extra £10 per fuel) on the daily standing charges if you pay by Direct Debit. It's an initiative to encourage customers to pay by DD as far as i can see. If you pay by DD, you are still going to get almost the same discount as you were previously, but in a alternative price restructuring, IYSWIM.

There are no changes to the daily standing charges for (any) customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit, going on the information provided by E.on so far, re changes from the 19th April, which is clearly stated with each tariff on their website.
    EHL or anyone else for that matter, publishing those tables is of no consequence whatsoever, without concrete facts?

The fact is, E.on

The fact is, E.on have already introduced (1st March) tariffs, where customers will no longer received a discount for having both their electricity and gas with E.on or a paperless billing discount.

However they replaced the discounts on those tariffs, with an extra £10 discount per fuel, per year for standing charges, (from £35 to £45) for those paying by Direct Debit. The same discount applies to the SVT from the 19th April for those paying by Direct Debit, according to the information given about that tariff, by E.on on their website.

It's said there are no changes to the daily standing charges for customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit, however there is no mention of the extra £10 per fuel per year discount on standing charges for those paying by DD, which has risen from £35 to £45 discount, per fuel.

Those are currently the only 'facts' available in black and white from E.on, not via a third party.

The ambiguity is how they will introduce these alleged "backdoor price hikes" to substantiate the figures produced on these tables, presumably for people who don't pay by DD, which no one can yet, confirm?

It's only half a story, as yet......................

Hello fredandwilma and thought I'd confirm some of the details I mentioned last week concerning recent changes to the structure of our tariffs.

I can confirm, customers paying with Monthly Direct Debits won't see any changes to either their daily standing charges or unit prices at this time. They'll continue to receive savings compared with customers paying by other means.

Hope this explains. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • fredandwilma
    Hello fredandwilma and thought I'd confirm some of the details I mentioned last week concerning recent changes to the structure of our tariffs.

I can confirm, customers paying with Monthly Direct Debits won't see any changes to either their daily standing charges or unit prices at this time. They'll continue to receive savings compared with customers paying by other means.

Hope this explains. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc

Which was what i was trying to say as i understood the information provided by E.on, so far.....

Customers will take only a £5 hit, after the changes, if they pay by DD, a fact which has been omitted by the (non) news stories.

Far from me to stand up for an energy supplier but i think sources have been economic with facts.

The fact is, (at the moment, even with the changes,) if you take any tariff and pay by monthly DD, you will be £5 per year, worse off, which is some distance away from the MSE news article which says :-
    A dual-fuel customer on E.on's standard Energy Plan tariff who pays by monthly direct debit is already paying an average £1,123/yr, based on typical use – much more than the market's cheapest. But the changes will see this rise to £1,153/yr from 19 April, while those paying by quarterly cash or cheque could end up paying an extra £50/yr.

That's a £30 a year increase for customers paying by DD, when it's actually a £5 year increase?

Technically, those paying by quarterly cash or cheque aren't going to lose what they weren't getting in the first place or could receive if they changed their payment method, unless daily standing charges increase, which is what the article infers.

I wonder where they get their figures from..............

It's all about 'Rewards' restructuring and i certainly wouldn't call them 'Backdoor Price Hikes', thus far.

Carpe diem
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well, I got the dreaded letter from E-ON today. I had a read of it and found that my bill was going ... down by £10 per year. :undecided

And there I was wondering who I was going to switch to.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    I presume any E-on customers will move to paper billing, just out of spite!!
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Which was what i was trying to say as i understood the information provided by E.on, so far.....

Customers will take only a £5 hit, after the changes, if they pay by DD, a fact which has been omitted by the (non) news stories.

Far from me to stand up for an energy supplier but i think sources have been economic with facts.

The fact is, (at the moment, even with the changes,) if you take any tariff and pay by monthly DD, you will be £5 per year, worse off, which is some distance away from the MSE news article which says :-

That's a £30 a year increase for customers paying by DD, when it's actually a £5 year increase?

Technically, those paying by quarterly cash or cheque aren't going to lose what they weren't getting in the first place or could receive if they changed their payment method, unless daily standing charges increase, which is what the article infers.

I wonder where they get their figures from..............

It's all about 'Rewards' restructuring and i certainly wouldn't call them 'Backdoor Price Hikes', thus far.

Hello fredandwilma and you're right.

The impact of these changes will vary depending on how customers pay for their energy, if they have dual or single fuel accounts and whether or not they've opted for paperless billing. Just to confirm, customers paying with Monthly Direct Debits won't see any changes to either their daily standing charges or unit prices at this time. They'll continue to receive savings compared with customers paying by other means.

Thanks fredandwilma.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Well, I got the dreaded letter from E-ON today. I had a read of it and found that my bill was going ... down by £10 per year. :undecided

And there I was wondering who I was going to switch to.

Nice one Ectophile. Sounds like a result.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure