MSE Poll: Do you have a joint bank account with your partner?

Poll started 18 June 2019
Back in the day, the huge majority of (then married) couples had joint accounts. But what about now?

If you're in a couple living together – which of these is CLOSEST to your situation?
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• piglit21
    piglit21 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've been with my husband for over 20 years and our situation is possibly a little different to others. I work full time and earn the money, he does the harder job of being a full time Daddy but with no pay.

We have a joint bank account for everything. I tell him repeatedly that since he's the one with the harder job, every penny I earn, he's earned (and more) and therefore should feel entitled to use it how he sees fit. What works really well for us however is that we have the same attitude to money, we like saving, paying off the mortgage and are bargain hunters so I trust him completely with every penny I've ever earned.
  • Melancholie
    Melancholie Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had separate finances initially as he came to the relationship with debt from his previous one and my score was perfect so he was keen not to adversely affect me. Now his score is sorted, we have a joint account for bills, savings, mortgage and a cashback credit card which is in his name but I'm a second cardholder for. We do also each have a separate current account, though, and at the moment a portion of our savings is in mine as I have a promotional interest rate on it which is significantly higher than the yield on our savings account.
  • Yes, although it's in addition to our own personal accounts, not instead of.

All joint regular monthly payments (mortgage, insurance, council tax, utilities, Sky) come out of the joint account and we both transfer a set amount each month into the joint account to cover them.

All other expenditure comes from our own accounts and we don't have a joint credit card either.
  • Oxo1
    Oxo1 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was married for 20 years and always had separate accounts
    I've lived with my partner now for 20 years and we also have separate accounts
    We pay bills separately him some I others, fortunately we both work so it works for us.
    I would not want a joint account but its whatever works for the individuals
    D
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I chose the "joint for bills" option as closest, but it's not really representative, as our joint account is the main one (but only joint account).
    We also keep savings accounts, and separate current accounts. But salaries etc all go through the joint one.
  • Our accounts are separate, but we share all our money. (e.g. If one of us has a big purchase or is going to max out an ISA, we can transfer money from the other's accounts if necessary.)
  • the Voting results are so interesting - such a shift in decision making - I thought us sharing everything in a joint account was a great idea, although a bit odd amongst our friends, but I now see that it's just an age thing!!!:)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Married for 40 years. Joint account for everything from day 1.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    I do think having a joint account for bills and seperate account for personal use is the best idea.

However, there needs to be some ground rules and both to be aware of what's going in and what's going out.

Had a joint account with my ex that was only supposed to be for bills and grocery but he would occasionally use it then not replace the money. He also had a much more expensive taste than me which I sort of begrudged having to pay for when I wasn't eating any of it and he earned more than me (despite me working more hours). Finally, and most importantly, when we separated he took all the money from it even though there was clearly transactions showing half of it was deposited by me. Unfortunately, there's no proving whose money is whose and what the money is for, so nothing can be done if that happens.

I have a partner but we don't live together. I earn and he's a student so separate bills and bank accounts. We don't really keep track of who pays what when we're together - we tend to take it in turns in a "you paid last time so I'm paying this time". Not sure yet the best option for when we do move in together - really don't want money to become an issue in this relationship. His parents are from a culture where the women don't work and the men provide so I think he would want to share our income or at least pay more (as he will definitely earn more) but that's a few years off.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Married for 40 years. Joint account for everything from day 1.

Yes similar here (though nowhere near 40 years). Married so can not think of reasons to have seperate accounts.

It s a joint life, you trust each other (?), its not your money or his/her money but joint surely?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure