Undelivered Takeaway

Options
I don't know if anyone can help or if, in fact, there is anything I can do about it but I ordered a takeaway online the other night through Just Eat.

The delivery driver called me about half an hour after the time I was told my order would be delivered asking me whereabouts I was. I explained whereabouts I lived and asked him where he was thinking maybe he was close by and couldn't find my address. He told me that he was just about to leave and could I go outside for him in about 20 minutes. About 20 minutes later I went outside to see if I could see him and saw nobody about. I tried again another 10 minutes or so later and still no delivery. About an hour after I was told my food was going to be delivered I phoned the restaurant to tell them my food hadn't been delivered. I was asked for my address and then told that they didn't have an order for my address. He asked me for my order again and said to give him 5 minutes.

A few minutes later the restaurant called me back and I was told I was speaking to the delivery driver and that he had just delivered my food. He said a woman answered the door, he asked if it was flat 4 and then handed over the food. I told him that it wasn't me that he had delivered the food to and that someone was obviously having a free meal on me. He repeatedly started saying b*tch over and over again. I asked him if he was going to deliver my order to me and he said he had delivered it. I kept telling him he hadn't delivered it to me and he just kept apologising. The conversation ended and I was left wondering whether he was going to actually give me my food.

I called the restaurant back and asked if he was going to deliver my food and he kept saying he had delivered it. I told him he hadn't delivered it to me and that I wanted my food, He kept saying sorry so I told him I had my son who was due to go to bed soon and needed some dinner before he did. He said next time and I said no, not next time. He then continued to keep saying sorry.

I got in contact with Just Eat and as the restaurant are claiming to have delivered the food their system is unable to issue me a refund.

I believe they had no intention of delivering any food to me because:-

1. They claimed not to have an order for my address.

2. Based on 1 above I don't believe they didn't know where my address was as I have ordered from this restaurant before and never had any problems with delivery.

3. Most restaurants, as a goodwill, would have re-delivered the food for customer relationships.

Whereabouts do I stand with this if I do stand anywhere with it?
Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How did you pay?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is why I always request the cash on delivery option.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've an instance with a supermarket delivery where they were insisting they delivered to the correct address. I pointed out I wouldn't be phoning if they had and asked them to ask the driver to describe the door - because we have a very unique entrance from any other house in the village.

About an hour later the door went, it was the manager I'd spoken to on the phone, to apologise & tell us he'd send a replacement order straight away - he'd gotten into the van with the driver and asked him to take him to the door he delivered to, which was not our house.

May not work for you if its a block of flats (which typically all have the same entrances) but it might be worth suggesting something similar. Or asking him to describe the decor of the hallway. Its not like you're going to change door/redecorate overnight over the sake of a £10-30 takeaway.....
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I’ve had trouble with just eat before. I don’t trust them and have switched to cash on delivery to protect me from issues like this. That woman wouldn’t have taken the food if she had to pay £20 for it!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After it's sorted out leave them a snotty review on tripadviser
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    Probably doesn't help you but for the first time after probably about 300 takeaway orders, I had my first undelivered/delivered scenario the other week. I checked the app and it said it was delivered, but it clearly hadn't been. After some stock responses they finally got back to me 5 hours later to say there had been a issue with the driver not following procedure and refunded me.

As above, it did make me think about the paying cash option from now on.

Good luck getting your money back.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    How did you pay?

Unfortunately I paid by card. Will try and do it by cash in future.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've an instance with a supermarket delivery where they were insisting they delivered to the correct address. I pointed out I wouldn't be phoning if they had and asked them to ask the driver to describe the door - because we have a very unique entrance from any other house in the village.

About an hour later the door went, it was the manager I'd spoken to on the phone, to apologise & tell us he'd send a replacement order straight away - he'd gotten into the van with the driver and asked him to take him to the door he delivered to, which was not our house.

May not work for you if its a block of flats (which typically all have the same entrances) but it might be worth suggesting something similar. Or asking him to describe the decor of the hallway. Its not like you're going to change door/redecorate overnight over the sake of a £10-30 takeaway.....

My mum keeps saying she's going to phone them up and ask them what I looked like!
    Did owe £9,951.96

• mattyprice4004
    Options
    Why is your Mum going to phone them? Their contract is with you if you ordered the food
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why is your Mum going to phone them? Their contract is with you if you ordered the food

Not only that but unless there's something about you to make you stand out over the 10+ people they deliver to every hour they'll have no recollection anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure