Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Zombie Apocalypse
    Jesus Returning
    Not investing enough
  • Jimb73 wrote: »
    Hi there I am after a huge favour. Is there an expert out there that can help me with finding what are the 3 main threats to pension savers in this country. Doesn't have to be a great volume of info just the main issues and i can research this further please!

Not sure what you mean by expert as you will get all sorts of conflicting suggestions as indeed you already have.

In my view the main threats to pension savers are

Low returns or worldwide recessions.
    constant tinkering with regulations/moving goalposts and pension taxation by the government of the time.
    saving behaviour of some people and short term thinking. It is perfectly possible for people to withdraw hefty sums of money from their pension pots even before they retire and blow it all on a holiday home in Spain or flashy car leaving themselves nothing to live off.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tories crashing the economy with a no deal Brexit, thick as mince leavers thinking they know better than 95% of the business leaders and economists, Trumpet starting a major war before he's booted out of office.
    Right-whingers shouldn't bring politics into this forum - but since they started it...............................

Brexit wont actually have much direct impact for most investors. (and what there has been so far has been positive due to the fall in sterling)

Corbyn is a far greater threat to people's wealth. That is not political posturing but just a reality of his policy proposals.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Crabby wrote: »
    Zombie Apocalypse.
    Zola. wrote: »
    Zombie Apocalypse
    In my view this is an underrated worry. When we're all living in places only accessible by ladder you will rue the day that you poo pooed the risk :p
  • Inflation
    The Labour Party
    The 'Liberal' 'Democrats'
  • davidr1964 wrote: »
    Inflation
    The Labour Party
    The 'Liberal' 'Democrats'

I don't think the Lib Dems are a risk even if they got into power. Jo Swinson is a breath of fresh air.
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Jo Swinson is a breath of fresh air.
    Jo Swinson and all other unaccepting remainers should be held to account trying to incite riots.
    Does she really think that 17.4 million are just going to accept their winning majority vote is cancelled?
    The lack of vision from remainers and what the real world is about is startling.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 September 2019 at 12:13AM
    SonOf wrote: »
    Brexit wont actually have much direct impact for most investors. (and what there has been so far has been positive due to the fall in sterling)

Corbyn is a far greater threat to people's wealth. That is not political posturing but just a reality of his policy proposals.

I do think Brexit and trade disruptions pose a serious risk, particularly in the short term. There are 10M scenarios so hard to predict. It’s just that if Corbyn&McDonnell were to come with their confiscatory policies, major damage to pensions would be a certainty.
  • Jo Swinson has the same voting record as Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    She may be a remainer but she's also a Tory at heart
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ColdIron wrote: »
    In my view this is an underrated worry. When we're all living in places only accessible by ladder you will rue the day that you poo pooed the risk :p

So true. Never ignore a poo poo. As General Melchett warned us all! :rotfl:

Meanwhile....I would say the major risks are:
    • Ignorance/apathy/lack-of-interest by people
    • Marxist politics espoused by McDonnell & Corbyn which would inevitably change the rules
    • Global Stagflation causing low rates of returns

Plenty of other possibilities.

Personally, the biggest risks probably boil down to:
    • stopping work too soon & spending excess money on expensive toys ;)
    • Early collapse in DC pot (aka sequencing risk)
    • Overestimating ability to help offspring from a pensioners pot....
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport